Author Topic: Why does Brad sit Kyrie for soooo long?  (Read 4714 times)

Re: Why does Brad sit Kyrie for soooo long?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm trying to not criticize Stevens because there is a method to his madness.

I think he wants Kyrie fresh at the end of games.

I'm trying to figure out how we can get Smart not to shoot so much. He's DJ...he will hit them when it counts but boy last night I was losing it.

I think the real solution to limiting Marcus' shots is to improve the assertiveness of the rest of the bench.  Turnovers and poor shots are still a frequent result even when Marcus isn't the one who takes the shot.  When Horford and Kyrie are out of the game we lose our sense of purpose.  Morris is capable of providing a spark but most of it is done out of isolation when he is with the bench, which you can't rely on every night.  There really isn't an easy answer to this.  Marcus is the only bench player that can run all of our sets but he isn't a threat to shoot.  Larkin has been solid in spurts but you would get diminishing returns if he played more minutes.

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 09:17:25 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I agree, it's really annoying. He also leaves garbage lineups in for way too long
Yeah, and it kills our win/lose record too! ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 09:18:47 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Remember when Bird would play 53 minutes including OT.
And, was this before or after he back gave out from so many Minutes?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 09:29:29 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
 ::)

Two thoughts on this:

1. Our young guys need reps with the ball in their hands. Its November, not April. If they are going to develop, it will be because they get more second quarter reps on a Monday in November.
2. We have been able to win late in games precisely because Al and Kyrie are rested, and Brown and Tatum have young legs. We might improve our second quarter if we put our top guys in sooner, but the end score would be impacted. Its like a race. The Celtics pace themselves and run their own speed, knowing that other teams don't have the depth of talent or the energy in their top-end talent to keep up with them.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 09:42:26 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
First off, Larry Bird hurt his back paving his mother's drive way during the off season.  His minutes weren't the problem.  Also, the way he played, all the diving fornloose balls and what not, did not help the situation. 

Second, limiting guys minutes is why they have been so good in the 4th quarter these past few years.  Guys are fresh.  Also, he needs to develop the bench and find out who can help the team and what combos work. 

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 09:54:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is so annoying he has it going. He’s killing it and Brad sits him and sits him and sits him. I think this might be the first night of back to back but it isn’t just happening this game he does it a lot.
He left him in the whole first quarter because Kyrie was on fire, that's a departure from the rotation of the same kind you are asking for.

Its pretty clear that the C's are committed to keeping their players at around 32 MPG and from a long view perspective I think that's a good approach. This is a young team that expects to be playing deep into the playoffs, keep guys healthy/fresh.

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
First off, Larry Bird hurt his back paving his mother's drive way during the off season.  His minutes weren't the problem.  Also, the way he played, all the diving fornloose balls and what not, did not help the situation. 

Second, limiting guys minutes is why they have been so good in the 4th quarter these past few years.  Guys are fresh.  Also, he needs to develop the bench and find out who can help the team and what combos work.
Cumulative wear and tear absolutely contribute to accute injuries. The research on this is pretty clear. Its also become clear that when you're exhausted injury chance also goes up.

Two excellent reasons to keep the minutes in the mid 30s on your best players.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 10:03:06 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Should be the opposite, we should be praising Brad for managing minutes while still getting wins

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's so that he's fresh for the clutch minutes, and long-term for the playoffs. But the last couple games are also because Brad, like a lot of coaches, tries to steal minutes for the deep rotation guys against crappy opponents.

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Because its still only November. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
It hasn't affected us so far, so I don't mind it. If Kyrie comes in into the 4th quarter well rested, it's all the better. Let's also remember that Irving has injury history too, so it's best to not run him to the ground, especially this early.

But with that said, I think this is whey we, atleast for this season, could use another guy that can score coming off the bench. While it has not affected us so far, it's also worth adding to our strength and be able to keep doing this without having any setbacks in the next coming games.

He's averaging 31 minutes per game. If we can sustain the winning and keep doing this after the 82 games, he's going to be relatively fresh for the Playoffs.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I was getting worried there would be nothing to overreact to during this 16 game win streak, 5th longest in Celtics history. Break out the pitchforks boys, it's time to take Stevens down for his lineups that keep winning games!

#downwithbrad #fireainge #winninglineups #realitybased

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 11:08:01 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
*sigh*

Kyrie is playing 31.5 minutes a game. That's inclusive of one game where he played fewer than two minutes. Take out that game and Kyrie is playing 33.5 minutes a game which is on par with IT's 33.8 last year. It's not like he's sitting on the bench for an excessive amount of time.

It's also important to remember that Kyrie has missed 22+ games in a season 3 times in his career - 50% of his seasons he played in fewer than 60 games. So keeping the guy fairly rested isn't a bad thing.

The real issue is the lack of consistent scoring from the backcourt when Kyrie (and Brown) are sitting. Rozier and Smart are having a difficult time hitting the side of a barn. Opponents know this and can sag on guys like Tatum (who is still learning the NBA game) and Morris to prevent them from scoring. That's why the whole offense bogs down and makes it more noticeable when those guys are sitting.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think with so much emphasis on defense, Brad sits the starters longer if he sees them giving all that effort. It'd be ok if they just ran up and down the court trading baskets but playing defense consistently takes a lot out of you. I don't totally disagree with him playing guys shorter minutes. It's not like he's only playing Kyrie and other starters 35 minutes per game (edit: this sentence was sarcasm). It's a long season and hopefully even longer for us.