Author Topic: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!  (Read 13707 times)

Re: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2017, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Marcus Smart to @ChrisMannixYS: “My teammates and my coaching staff has kept telling me to shoot the ball...It’s hard, especially when you’ve been working and things don’t fall. You just have to stick with it.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/934621494054998016

I heard this interview. Smart was visibly upset about his shooting. His voice shook. It sounded like he was absolutely genuine saying that his teammates and coaches are telling him to shoot. He obviously does not want to shoot.

I actually appreciate Smart more now, because he is sacrificing his comfort, his stats, and possibly future money to do what his coaching staff and team says is best for the Boston Celtics.
Teams in the playoffs will definitely play off smart.  And it will become a problem.

Wow, that gives me a new appreciation of Smart!

Me too, you gotta love that guy.

That point yesterday where the Suns left Smart absolutely wide open for a 3 where he proceeded to miss it, get his own rebound, dribble back to the same spot, and miss it again must have been brutal for him (it was for us viewers). No Suns player even left the key to pretend to run out on Smart - looks like they got the memo.

Luckily, he was able to bury a couple of other 3s (including the deep on in the 1st half!). Slowly but surely he may be working his way out of this. He is just mere fractions of a point to getting that 3PT% above 30%.

« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2017, 02:53:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Here lately he's been shooting a bit better, thankfully.

As long as he's doing the other stuff I'd say let him keep doing his thing.

« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I've been asking for his head lately but the Marcus Smart that has shown up the last 5 games or so is the one I like. Take less shots and get easy shots for others. If he continues to do this I'll be happy with him.

Play good defense, pass the ball, hit a few shots.

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2017, 03:53:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've been asking for his head lately but the Marcus Smart that has shown up the last 5 games or so is the one I like. Take less shots and get easy shots for others. If he continues to do this I'll be happy with him.

Play good defense, pass the ball, hit a few shots.
I know this is a thread about his shooting but let's not forget that Marcus is leading the team in assists right now. His ability to lead the offense and let Kyrie, effectively, be the SG in crunch time has been valuable.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
Here's a good article on why Smart makes our offense better even though he's a bad shooter. 109.3 pp 100 with Smart on the floor and 101.1 without.   :o

Apparently it's all about the swag and 'fooling' defenders into thinking you are a threat as a shooter.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/6/16739088/marcus-smart-shooting-stats-terrible-celtics-offense-works

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Here's a good article on why Smart makes our offense better even though he's a bad shooter. 109.3 pp 100 with Smart on the floor and 101.1 without.   :o

Apparently it's all about the swag and 'fooling' defenders into thinking you are a threat as a shooter.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/6/16739088/marcus-smart-shooting-stats-terrible-celtics-offense-works

That was an excellent very interesting article. TP for finding that.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2017, 06:08:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Enjoy Smart while we can...I doubt he will be back next season

Danny will focus on kyrie, tatum, brown moving fwd (payout big contracts) and fill in the rest via draft, FA etc.

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Danny will focus on kyrie, tatum, brown moving fwd (payout big contracts) and fill in the rest via draft, FA etc.

A lot of ink has been spilled in other threads about Marcus, but as many people have argued, it seems more likely than not that the market for FA's will be cooler than other years (especially guards who can't shoot), and Danny will match because we are over the cap, and definitely in win now mode.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

A lot of ink has been spilled in other threads about Marcus, but as many people have argued, it seems more likely than not that the market for FA's will be cooler than other years (especially guards who can't shoot), and Danny will match because we are over the cap, and definitely in win now mode.

To be real marcus wants somethings north of 15. Compare him  to players like crabb, james johnson, KO ...he will get it .. and danny cant afford is my opinion

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

To be real marcus wants somethings north of 15. Compare him  to players like crabb, james johnson, KO ...he will get it .. and danny cant afford is my opinion
This has been said before but you can't compare this summer to the summer of the cap boom or last summer when there were still a lot of old contracts around, giving teams more space. There is less going to be less money to go around than there was the last two years.

On top of that with the C's over the cap, they will be more inclined to resign the good players they have than try to go looking for good players in free agency they can't spend much money on.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2017, 05:29:40 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
I'm hoping Smart will settle for something cheap.  If he will accept 10-12 m on a 3 or 4 year deal I can see the Celtics keeping him.  If he gets a 15-20m offer from another team, he is as good as gone.  As bad as Smart's shooting is, his other attributes still make him a plus for our team when he is out there working hard on the floor.

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
to beat GS or Cavs ......teams need shooting first ......Marcus is special cog CBS has woven into his scheme.   Marcus would be like Lance Stevenson while back riding the pines .   Most teams can't afford to put a non shooter bad as Smart on the court.   Mostly the teams already loaded with shooters would find him handy. ....GS ...Cavs ....Spurs .....teams we don't want Smart to land on.

« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Okay I'm back on the I hate Marcus Smart team. Can we change his name to Marcus Stupid?? He does some of the dumbest plays and when's off which is most of the time that doesn't stop him! This Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing moron just keeps jacking up shots. OMG get him on a bus out of town ASAP!!!

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Smart was 4-10 today with only two 3pointers taken. From two point land he was 4 for 8, which is not terrible. It was his passing that was poor today.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
LOL, this board love to single him out just to fit their narratives. Kyrie, Theis and Rozier shot worse than Smart in  this game, yet nobody is mentioning it.