Author Topic: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!  (Read 13717 times)

Re: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
In tonight's pregame interview: https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/932776714236776453

Scal: "Are you concerned about your bench [cough Marcus Smart cough] shooting 17% over the last three games?"
CBS: "No. It happens. You go through lulls, as you know. You have to find ways to impact the game in a good way, and we all know that if guys can find a way to win and add value to winning while shooting like that, then you'll get to take advantage of the nights when the ball goes in a little bit. Obviously, we want to shoot it better, we need to continue to seek out our best shots, but as long as we're shooting good ones, if we miss em we miss em."

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
In tonight's pregame interview: https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/932776714236776453

Scal: "Are you concerned about your bench [cough Marcus Smart cough] shooting 17% over the last three games?"
CBS: "No. It happens. You go through lulls, as you know. You have to find ways to impact the game in a good way, and we all know that if guys can find a way to win and add value to winning while shooting like that, then you'll get to take advantage of the nights when the ball goes in a little bit. Obviously, we want to shoot it better, we need to continue to seek out our best shots, but as long as we're shooting good ones, if we miss em we miss em."

I guess the Q for Brad...is a Smart 3 (except in crunch time in the 4th quarter when he tends to hit them) ever our 'best shot', or even one of the 'good ones'?

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Smart please dont listen to this message board..

1st Qtr  - 1 shot attempt - we are down 11  - he is a minus 8..

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2017, 06:16:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Marcus Smart to @ChrisMannixYS: “My teammates and my coaching staff has kept telling me to shoot the ball...It’s hard, especially when you’ve been working and things don’t fall. You just have to stick with it.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/934621494054998016

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Marcus Smart to @ChrisMannixYS: “My teammates and my coaching staff has kept telling me to shoot the ball...It’s hard, especially when you’ve been working and things don’t fall. You just have to stick with it.”

I heard this interview. Smart was visibly upset about his shooting. His voice shook. It sounded like he was absolutely genuine saying that his teammates and coaches are telling him to shoot. He obviously does not want to shoot.

I actually appreciate Smart more now, because he is sacrificing his comfort, his stats, and possibly future money to do what his coaching staff and team says is best for the Boston Celtics.

« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

I heard this interview. Smart was visibly upset about his shooting. His voice shook. It sounded like he was absolutely genuine saying that his teammates and coaches are telling him to shoot. He obviously does not want to shoot.

I actually appreciate Smart more now, because he is sacrificing his comfort, his stats, and possibly future money to do what his coaching staff and team says is best for the Boston Celtics.
I think it's ok to be critical of his shot selection but those who want him to stop shooting have to know that a player who won't shoot is worse than a player who shoots poorly, even as poorly as Smart has shot.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2017, 08:27:02 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

Wow, that gives me a new appreciation of Smart!
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Me too, you gotta love that guy.

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2017, 10:39:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Me too, you gotta love that guy.

That point yesterday where the Suns left Smart absolutely wide open for a 3 where he proceeded to miss it, get his own rebound, dribble back to the same spot, and miss it again must have been brutal for him (it was for us viewers). No Suns player even left the key to pretend to run out on Smart - looks like they got the memo.

Luckily, he was able to bury a couple of other 3s (including the deep on in the 1st half!). Slowly but surely he may be working his way out of this. He is just mere fractions of a point to getting that 3PT% above 30%.

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Marcus’s shooting percentages are very similar to Ball’s except Marcus is a much better FT shooter.

Lonzo plays three more mpg but they both average around 9ppg.

Lonzo’s assists and rebounds are slightly better but Marcus is a much better defender, despite Ball’s penchant for steals.

We could have drafted Ball with the #1 pick but why do that when we already have Smart on the team.

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Marcus’s shooting percentages are very similar to Ball’s except Marcus is a much better FT shooter.

Lonzo’s assists and rebounds are slightly better but Marcus is a much better defender, despite Ball’s penchant for steals.

We could have drafted Ball with the #1 pick but why do that when we already have Smart on the team.

Marcus also seems very likeable and a “glue guy.” Lonzo is anything but that.

Not to mention, I think Smart and the #1 pick would have similar salaries this year

« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

At first, I wondered what MS thread has anything to do with Ball, but then I forgot the name of the title lol.

And that is true, but its hard to determine how a player's skillset can pan out. NBA drafts can always been a crapshoot.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Not to mention, I think Smart and the #1 pick would have similar salaries this year

I get that this is a "discuss anything" type platform. But comparing Marcus to Lonzo seems sort of...insulting.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

I get that this is a "discuss anything" type platform. But comparing Marcus to Lonzo seems sort of...insulting.
To who?

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

To who?

And here we go....
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different