Author Topic: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!  (Read 13709 times)

Re: Marcus Smart Please Stop Shooting!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 12:09:21 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Man. I hate it when Smart has a bad game. The entire forum devolves into posting "OMG Smart SUCKs" threads. And I have to deal with it for a day or two until Smart has a better game.

Just remember critics, if Smart didn't have his greenlight, he wouldn't have hit the 3 that brought us back to tie the game. He's also still young. It's good to let young players get shots and develop. It's not like it's hurting our record.

I'll be back after the few days of Smart-hate. Looking forward to Danny paying him 15M a year.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Man. I hate it when Smart has a bad game. The entire forum devolves into posting "OMG Smart SUCKs" threads. And I have to deal with it for a day or two until Smart has a better game.

Just remember critics, if Smart didn't have his greenlight, he wouldn't have hit the 3 that brought us back to tie the game. He's also still young. It's good to let young players get shots and develop. It's not like it's hurting our record.

I'll be back after the few days of Smart-hate. Looking forward to Danny paying him 15M a year.

To go away? ;) :laugh:

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:57 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

hey beatLA!

love ya

but your sig....

it seems that ainge addressed the rebounding issue
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 12:30:58 AM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Marcus Smart is a litmus test for what a fan prefers: stats or winning.
His numbers can be so hideous,  that the stat lovers can't stand him, but the fact that he literally never fails to make game winning plays/ shots in the clutch,  makes those who love winning adore him.

I love winning.

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 12:32:50 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

hey beatLA!

love ya

but your sig....

it seems that ainge addressed the rebounding issue

Well it's about time, lol :laugh:. Should I make a different meme regarding, well, guards who can actually shoot, because there's obviously a causal link, there (sarcasm) :laugh:.

Unrelated - do you have salmon and mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, hehe? :laugh:

Marcus Smart is a litmus test for what a fan prefers: stats or winning.
His numbers can be so hideous,  that the stat lovers can't stand him, but the fact that he literally never fails to make game winning plays/ shots in the clutch,  makes those who love winning adore him.

I love winning.

Why can't you have both?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:39:16 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:21 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

When he has a bad game?  I mean, he’s shooting like 25% from the floor.  He has an average game like every four games and the rest range from bad to horrific.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 01:02:34 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Looking forward to Danny paying him 15M a year.

Won't happen. If some other GM is foolish enough to pay Smart that much I am confident Danny will not match. Players like Smart are valuable, you always need strong defenders who make hustle plays. But those type of players are only worth so much, and overpaying them can be a death knell.

Look, I actually like Smart, and feel like he is a valuable contributor. But you cannot ignore his shooting percentages, especially on the volume of shots he takes. Many of those shots are just not shots he should be taking, and should instead be looking to take the ball to the basket or move it to someone else who is more capable.

The issue is Brad's rotations often leave Smart without anyone reliable to pass to, and when there is, Smart often times fails to do so. The bottom line is, Smart could play smarter, but I will acknowledge it's not entirely his fault.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 06:28:27 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
As someone already said here, he has to take open shots.  We don't want Rondo again, it will kill this offense.

I for one do not think he is a bad shooter.  Bad shooters can't make free throws, and he was 80%+ last year which is good for a pro.

He needs to shoot more confidently/quickly and shoot more one-handed shots in the paint.

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 06:30:46 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As someone already said here, he has to take open shots.  We don't want Rondo again, it will kill this offense.

I for one do not think he is a bad shooter.  Bad shooters can't make free throws, and he was 80%+ last year which is good for a pro.

He needs to shoot more confidently/quickly and shoot more one-handed shots in the paint.

Three years worth of results suggest that he is, in fact, a bad shooter. A bad shooter who can make FTs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Just like KO and Sully were going to make big bucks?  Almost every time someone predicts a salary on this blog they grossly over value our players.

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 07:20:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Marcus was a +15 tonight.

Just sayin.
Pretty sure I coulda played next to Kyrie, Jaylen, Tatum, and Horford and been a +something.

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 07:31:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
that clanger in OT almost cost the game

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Won't happen. If some other GM is foolish enough to pay Smart that much I am confident Danny will not match. Players like Smart are valuable, you always need strong defenders who make hustle plays. But those type of players are only worth so much, and overpaying them can be a death knell.

Look, I actually like Smart, and feel like he is a valuable contributor. But you cannot ignore his shooting percentages, especially on the volume of shots he takes. Many of those shots are just not shots he should be taking, and should instead be looking to take the ball to the basket or move it to someone else who is more capable.

The issue is Brad's rotations often leave Smart without anyone reliable to pass to, and when there is, Smart often times fails to do so. The bottom line is, Smart could play smarter, but I will acknowledge it's not entirely his fault.

Why would Danny pay him more than he's currently making?  He's the same player he was when he was drafted only with an established ceiling and limited potential.

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Disagree

D-Wade, Evan Turner, Rickey Rubio, Shaun Livingston etc. All shooting 80%+ from the free throw line, but can't shoot 3's. Good free throw shooting is a good indicator of 3-point potential, but it isn't the only one.

I'd say a fairly good indicator of poor 3-point shooting would be someone who attempted almost 300 three pointers in his 2 years of college, but could only convert them at a 29.5% clip, or maybe someone who's attempted over 900 3-pointers in less than 4 seasons in the NBA but only converts them at a 29% clip.

Over 1100 attempts between college and NBA and he's still a sub 30% 3-point shooter. I just don't see the potential anymore.

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
When it comes to role players, a bad shooter is better than a reluctant shooter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain