Author Topic: Is Jaylen Brown on a path to making an all NBA Defensive Team this season?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Great article about Brown's defense, with a lot of good video analysis, in Boston.com:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/11/20/how-jaylen-browns-defense-is-making-up-for-the-loss-of-avery-bradley

I was really impressed with how he played Durant.

I think he, along with Smart, are front runners from the Celtics to make NBA's All Defensive Team. I know it is way too early, but if this keeps up for the season, hard not to get 2 players on either the first or 2nd team.

Thoughts?

Re: Is Jaylen Brown on a path to making an all NBA Defensive Team this season?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Defensive Rating
1.   Hassan Whiteside • MIA   96.3
2.   Ed Davis • POR   97.0
3.   Jayson Tatum • BOS   97.2
4.   Terry Rozier • BOS   97.2
5.   Aron Baynes • BOS   97.3
6.   Al Horford • BOS   97.6
7.   Kyrie Irving • BOS   97.6
8.   Marcus Smart • BOS   97.7
9.   Jaylen Brown • BOS   97.9
10.   Andre Drummond • DET   98.1

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2018_leaders.html

They're all doing really well.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Defensive Rating

yup
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
If we keep this up, there's no way Al is not in the first team, along with someone like Brown or Smart, even if it's the second team.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Great article about Brown's defense, with a lot of good video analysis, in Boston.com:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/11/20/how-jaylen-browns-defense-is-making-up-for-the-loss-of-avery-bradley

I think he, along with Smart, are front runners from the Celtics to make NBA's All Defensive Team. I know it is way too early, but if this keeps up for the season, hard not to get 2 players on either the first or 2nd team.

Thoughts?

TP. Great article. As the resident Brown fanboy, I love hearing this stuff.

To me the most telling piece is early in the article. They're talking about how Brown had to replace Bradley and immediately follow that with information about how did against Durant. That's the rub. Avery Bradley couldn't defend Durant. He's too small and KD would eat him up. Brown's ability to switch on to virtually any opponent - something Bradley simply can't do - really makes this defense go. When you combine that with Horford's ability to switch on to anyone in the front court and the Cs defense gets really dangerous. Teams run these switches to shake people loose or are get a match up they can take advantage of. It's really hard for those teams when after all that movement they still don't have that match up advantage because guys like Brown, Horford and Smart can match up with virtually anyone.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The best defender on the best defensive team in the league (and in the last 15 years) ought to be considered for defensive MVP.

Not saying he necessarily deserves it, but he ought to get consideration. He absolutely deserves consideration for all-NBA defensive team this year too.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
They’ll give it to Kobe Bryant...again

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 5 hours ago

Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are No. 1 and No. 2 in defensive win shares this season across the NBA. Not an end-all, be-all stat, but still crazy.

He's been a revelation, but having Irving playing defense at a much higher level than he ever did in CLE helps as well as Irving's height advantage over IT. That being said, without drilling down into stats that cost money to subscribe to, it's difficult for fans to determine who is doing what defensively and we left to rely on our eyes which are unreliable by themselves. Defensive stats that fans have access to generally reflect team defense more than individual defense. Tatum for instance has played defense well for a rookie, but he's not the 2nd best defender in the NBA. Also, we have 14 players with above average defensive ratings which tells us that both units play defense well unlike most teams.

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 01:26:40 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Thoughts?

TP. Great article. As the resident Brown fanboy, I love hearing this stuff.

To me the most telling piece is early in the article. They're talking about how Brown had to replace Bradley and immediately follow that with information about how did against Durant. That's the rub. Avery Bradley couldn't defend Durant. He's too small and KD would eat him up. Brown's ability to switch on to virtually any opponent - something Bradley simply can't do - really makes this defense go. When you combine that with Horford's ability to switch on to anyone in the front court and the Cs defense gets really dangerous. Teams run these switches to shake people loose or are get a match up they can take advantage of. It's really hard for those teams when after all that movement they still don't have that match up advantage because guys like Brown, Horford and Smart can match up with virtually anyone.

It’s unfair to ask a guy like Bradley to defend Durant. He is one of - if not the - best perimeter defenders in the league. There are very few PG/SG he had trouble with. Durant is a SF/PF. Just because he was our best defender doesn’t mean he has to defend the best player on every team. I don’t see Whiteside defending Wall, not do I see Drunmond defending Westbrook.

Besides, Bradley was busy containing Steph and Klay.

But yes, Danny gave Brad a bunch of players who can defend mumptie positions. Brown can guard Klay, Durant, and Green. Tatum will be able to do the same, as will Hayward.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Brown has exceptional defensive stats while also typically being tasked with defending the other teams best perimeter threat (whether it be a guard or a forward)

I think his defense has gotten substantially better from last year.  I think the system also works a LOT better now that we have so many players with length who can switch out.  PNR just isn't as effective against this team as it would be against a traditional team.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
They’ll give it to Kobe Bryant...again
lol TP

If he and the C's keep this up, it's going to be hard to not have at least 3 Celtics on those two teams (Horford, Brown, Smart).
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Is this players and coaches vote?

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 03:23:28 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If we keep this up, there's no way Al is not in the first team, along with someone like Brown or Smart, even if it's the second team.

That was my initial response as well.  Horford has the high level stats plus the major eye test as well.  He has been better on D this year that I thought he ever would be.  It wouldn't be a stretch to get Al, Brown and Smart all somewhere in the 1st and 2nd team def teams.  If we are the best defense in the NBA we probably deserve at least a couple.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 03:29:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Defensive Rating

BBRef DR is a stat which should largely be interpreted as "you're a rotation player on a team that's doing really well defensively".
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
It's remarkable how quickly Jaylen Brown has caught up to Avery Bradley in terms of both defensive and offensive prowess.  He is almost exactly where Avery was last year in PPG and RPG (16 and 6)  -- with AB now returning to his career average in rebounding this year (3).   Avery was 26 years old last season -- in Year 7 of his career.  AB worked his butt off to become a 16/6 guy.  Jaylen is already there (we'll see if it sustains) in Year 2, just turned 21.   

The defense as described above in this thread has also leaped dramatically to the point where he is considered by some here already on par with (or nearing) AB.  And at 6'7" and uniquely athletic he can clearly be even more versatile with who and how he defends.

Jaylen's growth this year has been shocking to me.  I know some here saw it coming, but I'm amazed.  Hope it lasts.