Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90798 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #345 on: February 07, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
It is great to see Terry playing up to the level of his talent.

« Reply #346 on: February 07, 2018, 07:41:41 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
What I think this has shown is that Rozier is most valuable as our true backup PG, with the ball in his hands. Smart should be asked to finally just play a role: defensive stopper.

Feels like a variation on Eric Bledsoe back in the day. Terry isn't a great passer, but he:

1) Plays above average defense and can guard two positions well
2) Rebounds at the highest level for a PG
3) Is a viable 15ppg scorer with the ball in his hands
4) Has an excellent low turnover rate
5) Passes well enough to keep the offense flowing

He might not be a star (yet), but that's a lot of useful tools and not a lot of real weaknesses.

~15/6/4 with a 3:1 turnover ratio and good defense if a team gave him the keys I think... not too shabby at all.

He should not be a backup point guard. He played well for a few games against weaker team defenses, and to his credit, he showed some discipline I hadn't seen before. He didn't force things and ran the set options he was supposed to. He leaned heavily on Horford to make decisions. He took the shots he was given and kept the ball moving.

What he can't do, and maybe never will, is handle the ball and make good decisions under more intense defensive pressure. We want to win a championship. He is not a playoff point guard. He reverted back in the Toronto game to his old habits of over dribbling and step back threes. He probably shoots those at about a 20% clip.

If they can get him to dribble less and improve his shot selection some, he's a really valuable rotation player, but I'd feel better with Shane Larkin running the second unit than I would Rozier.

« Reply #347 on: February 07, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
What I think this has shown is that Rozier is most valuable as our true backup PG, with the ball in his hands. Smart should be asked to finally just play a role: defensive stopper.

Feels like a variation on Eric Bledsoe back in the day. Terry isn't a great passer, but he:

1) Plays above average defense and can guard two positions well
2) Rebounds at the highest level for a PG
3) Is a viable 15ppg scorer with the ball in his hands
4) Has an excellent low turnover rate
5) Passes well enough to keep the offense flowing

He might not be a star (yet), but that's a lot of useful tools and not a lot of real weaknesses.

~15/6/4 with a 3:1 turnover ratio and good defense if a team gave him the keys I think... not too shabby at all.

He should not be a backup point guard. He played well for a few games against weaker team defenses, and to his credit, he showed some discipline I hadn't seen before. He didn't force things and ran the set options he was supposed to. He leaned heavily on Horford to make decisions. He took the shots he was given and kept the ball moving.

What he can't do, and maybe never will, is handle the ball and make good decisions under more intense defensive pressure. We want to win a championship. He is not a playoff point guard. He reverted back in the Toronto game to his old habits of over dribbling and step back threes. He probably shoots those at about a 20% clip.

If they can get him to dribble less and improve his shot selection some, he's a really valuable rotation player, but I'd feel better with Shane Larkin running the second unit than I would Rozier.

Rozier had 32 assists and 10 turnovers in last years playoffs.
He handled the playoff pressure well.

Shane Larkin? LOL

Where Terry has really improved in the last few games is his three point shooting. In the last five games he is shooting 52% for threes. Why? He has started SQUARING UP TO THE BASKET ON THREES. I have been saying this forever. Watch video of Ray Allen. He always squared up to the basket before shooting his threes.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:01:15 PM by Chris22 »

« Reply #348 on: February 07, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
He's a good combo guard, and valuable. He doesn't play afraid. The 32 assists were over 17 games. He didn't log consistent time as the primary ball handler. Its different when you are the guy who has to create for the offense.

« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Decision next year will be interesting! Keep him or let him walk?

« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2018, 12:32:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That's actually the decision for Smart this offseason. We won't have to make any decision on Rozier for well over a year as he is still under contract for next season.

« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2018, 12:53:33 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
That's actually the decision for Smart this offseason. We won't have to make any decision on Rozier for well over a year as he is still under contract for next season.
My bad I meant next year as in 2019

« Reply #352 on: March 20, 2018, 03:43:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Loved him from the moment we made the pick.

Anyone honestly regretting picking him over Portis now?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2018, 02:39:53 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Rozier is now shooting 40/38/75. Never thought he'd reach those numbers over a full season!  :)

« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2018, 03:11:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I still think he has a low bball IQ. He can create his own shot and make difficult shots. He's not afraid of any shot. That's all good.

He's still sucks at getting people involved/running the offense. He's not too efficient and he's not nearly as good at defense as he should be given his athleticism.

He's a nice depth piece, but I don't think he can really play the 1.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I still think he has a low bball IQ. He can create his own shot and make difficult shots. He's not afraid of any shot. That's all good.

He's still sucks at getting people involved/running the offense. He's not too efficient and he's not nearly as good at defense as he should be given his athleticism.

Same, although saying that "he's not too efficient" is being extremely kind, imo, lol. Down to 39.8% on overall field goals, now ::).

« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2018, 07:57:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Same, although saying that "he's not too efficient" is being extremely kind, imo, lol. Down to 39.8% on overall field goals, now ::).
When I look at efficiency I only look at TS% as it incorporates scoring from 2, 3, and the FT line. Rozier has raised his TS% each year going from 32.6% to 46.6% to 52.2%. League average is 55%.

Rozier has been steadily been getting more efficient as the year has progressed. Since the beginning of February he's been at about the league average of 55%.

So, as a whole this year he has been below average efficiently but recently been average. I don't think he is as inefficient as you are making it seem.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rozier come in next year and be at 57+% TS% next year. He's developing at that rate.

« Reply #357 on: March 24, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
We can talk all about him being erratic at times and needing to have a higher BBIQ, but remember that this dude is still just 24 years old, and so far in the month of March (9 games), he's averaging 16/5/4 in around 33 minutes/game.

Avery Bradley is obviously a much better defender, but even AB in his "peak years" here averaged around 16/6, and Rozier looks like someone who with some more improvement can be a 20 point, 6-7 RPG & 5 APG kind of starting guard on another team.

Not sure how he doesn't have fans on here. Yeah, you can argue and make the case that he won't be here long term, but for now, just enjoy the Terry Show!  8)

The guy, along with Morris and Tatum, has been HUGE for us this month and is a big reason we're 8-4 in games without Kyrie (which is also a huge testament to the entire organization honestly).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I'm a fan just like Marcus Smart has his fan club with all his warts. No player is perfect except maybe Scal but he was a generational type mamba.
ok fine

« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2018, 08:42:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm a fan just like Marcus Smart has his fan club with all his warts. No player is perfect except maybe Scal but he was a generational type mamba.

FTFY  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller