Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90731 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #315 on: February 03, 2018, 08:10:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Rozier brings a lot of energy. He speeds up the transition offense, which tends to slow down when Smart is on the court. More so than Kyrie. In fact I think we playwith the most pace when Rozier, Brown and Tatum are on the court together. Would like to see those three on the court together more often.

« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I've always been a Terry fan so it's great to see him break out like this in a brief starting role.  He's showing that he has the talent to be a very good starting guard in the NBA.

The question going forward is can he translate this type of performance into a condensed version off the bench on a consistent basis?  Terry seems like a classic case of a rhythm player who plays with extra confidence when he knows that heavy minutes are guaranteed.  Talent has never been the question.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see what happens with Marcus if Terry is able to provide a consistent 6th man spark off the bench.  They both bring different things to the table but Danny has a big decision to make this off-season.   

« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I hate to say this because I am a huge Smart fan but the stupid incident in LA may have caused the end of the Smart era in Boston. Rozier brings so much more speed and offensive punch. I could see some sort of deal to obtain Tyreke that may include Smart and it could be a 3-way with MEM & OKC with Smart to OKC (who could really use him after the Roberson loss).

« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I hate to say this because I am a huge Smart fan but the stupid incident in LA may have caused the end of the Smart era in Boston. Rozier brings so much more speed and offensive punch. I could see some sort of deal to obtain Tyreke that may include Smart and it could be a 3-way with MEM & OKC with Smart to OKC (who could really use him after the Roberson loss).

This was against NYK and ATL.  Let's simmer down.

« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

You are right but I could see this going either way.  Terry is showing flashes that could translate to elite 6th man status in the NBA.  The question is can he put together these types of performances into 20-25 minutes off the bench on a nightly basis?  A 6th man role is what will provide the most value to THIS team in the future.  It's too early to tell but Terry might end up being most effective in a starting role for a different team.  Danny will need to determine whether or not Terry can fit into the long term picture. 

On the other hand, Marcus still brings intangibles to the table that are ideal for a title contender.  We know what we're getting and his skill set is ideal to match up against a team like Golden State.  Curry probably doesn't drop 49 against us if Marcus is in the lineup.  I don't believe that the hand injury will affect any potential trades.  However, it will definitely hurt when it comes time to negotiate a contract during the off-season.

Danny is in a desirable but tough spot with both of these guys.  In a perfect world they can both be part of a 3-4 year title window but I don't see how it's possible. 

« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I totally agree and like I said I am a huge Smart fan and would prefer to see him stay but I am saying with OKC's need and MEM's asset (Reke) and the fact that Smart is in a contract year that I would feel it's not out of the question. My preference is keep both Smart & Rozier and also get Reke on the cheap.

« Reply #321 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I think it's more likely that the incident results in raising TR's value giving Danny the ability to add a player while giving a little less than he had anticipated.  Marcus' skill set is unique.  If Danny is able to land Tyreke, Terry's value to the team is replaced with a better, more versatile player (Larkin picking up some little pg spark plug minutes).

« Reply #322 on: February 03, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
If this year was to figure out who to pay Rozier vs. Smart, I Pay rozier.

Look how much better the offense is when Smart is out. And that is without Kyrie/morris etc. for as much as he gives you defensively, With Smart you are playing 4 on 5 on offense.

« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93

I think it's more likely that the incident results in raising TR's value giving Danny the ability to add a player while giving a little less than he had anticipated.  Marcus' skill set is unique.  If Danny is able to land Tyreke, Terry's value to the team is replaced with a better, more versatile player (Larkin picking up some little pg spark plug minutes).

Marcus's skill set is unique in that he can guard bigger players.  He is poor against quick point guards. On offense he slows ball movement and his shot selection remains atrocious.  And on offense he seems slow to learn.

Rozier is at least as good as Marcus against quick points.  On offense, in the past 2 games, he really showed a willingness and an ability to advance the ball and move the ball quickly.  Plus he doesn't, right now, have any of the off court stupidity which has given him this opportunity. While Marcus is in street clothes due to off court actions that are no one's fault but his own.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:35:33 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
If so, what do you see in this kid?

If you need rebounds out of your backup PG, I guess he’s okay. Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

Just quoting this for kicks.

« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2018, 10:28:01 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

If you need rebounds out of your backup PG, I guess he’s okay. Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

wait. are you implying that cbers rush to judgement about players instead of waiting a few years to see whether they can develop????  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Good for Terry, I hope he keeps it up.

Of course, he'll be pricing himself out of a new contract with the C's if he does.
Not necessarily. If the front office decides Rozier is the keeper between Smart and Rozier, perhaps Smart is allowed to walk while Rozier is still in the last year of his rookie contract. Then maybe the contract the team might have gicen to Smart is given to Rozier a year later and he and the Laker/Sac pick are the 6th and 7th men on this team for the next 4 years.

I was accounting for the fact Smart may very well be allowed to walk in free agency this summer. Even if he does Rozier could still prove to be too expensive for us to retain if he continues to play the way he has the last couple games. The odds of that happening aren't great, because as soon as Kyrie comes back, Rozier will go back to his bench role, but all it take is one team to think Rozier is a capable starter and he'd be out of our price range.

« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Rozier has been fantastic these past two games (obviously).  But his shot selection still drives me crazy.  When shots are going in, great.  When they aren’t, no so great.  Agree with others who say hold your horses because it’s NY and ATL.

So I think rozier can continue to grow into a nice bench, spark off the bench guy (which he’s nearing already).  I don’t agree that these last two games show he’s going to be a very good starter.  In the long run, he’ll drive fans crazy because he’s not a PG and he’s not quite the offensive juggernaut of a Kyrie or Westbrook to justify his shoot first mentality.

As for Rozier versus smart, it’s a very legitimate question because they are close in value AND we likely will not be able to keep both of them in the long run.  Hell, we may not be able to keep one of them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:30:48 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

wait. are you implying that cbers rush to judgement about players instead of waiting a few years to see whether they can develop????  ;D

Keep in mind, Rozier isn’t a rookie. At the time this thread was started, he’d already had a couple years under his belt.  And, if you go to how he was playing, he was terrible.

He’s playing really well now. Hopefully he finishes out the year strong.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #329 on: February 03, 2018, 11:51:15 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Savvy fans noticed that Rozier's advanced stats (particularly RPM) indicated he had surpassed Marcus Smart a while ago, but his minutes weren't commensurate with his potential to contribute.  I believe there have been several threads on the topic. 

We're not seeing a new Terry, we're just seeing what he can do when he's put in a position to succeed instead of being the team's 4th guard.