Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90819 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
He is showing serious potential. Every game he seems more and more confident. We need this aggressiveness on the 2nd team. The 2nd unit is growing into something special with Rozier, Smart & Theis.

What Rozier is starting to show out there as Kyrie's backup reminds me a LOT of the Clippers / Bledsoe scenario. 

Bledsoe was showing flashes if great potential, and the Clippers were giving him all the minutes they could - but with CP3 starting there were always limits to the type of minutes and role he'd be able to get there.  His final year in LA he was only playing 20 MPG, and he was only averaging 8.5 / 3.0 / 3.1 in those minutes. 

The Clippers saw he deserved more opportunity, and traded him to Phoenix - and the increased role/minutes led to his production instantly jumping up to 17.7 / 4.7 / 5.5

Bledsoe has averaged 18 PPG since that time, and while he's never been an All-Star he's generally always been considered a very good two-way guard.  He's also been limited by injury, and if he had stayed healthy who knows how much better he could have been.

Rozier reminds me of Bledsoe in so many ways.  Physically he is a similar height, has similar strength and similarly explosive athleticism.  He's got the same scrappy competitiveness and toughness.  Like Bledsoe he plays hard on both ends of the court.  If he finishes out this season strong (even 80% of the way he's played the past 6 games) I could very easily see him going the same route as Bledsoe - with Danny being forced to either give him an increased role (probably not possible on this roister), trade him to a team with more opportunity, or risk losing him for nothing in free agency.   

In fact Bledoe's overall Per-36 PRA (Points + Rebounds + Assists) production (14.9 Pts, 5.2 Reb, 5.4 Ast, 25.5 PRA) is not too dissimilar from what Rozier is averaing Per-36 this season (14.8 Pts, 7.0 Reb, 3.2 Ast, 25.0 PRA).

If Rozier ever becomes even 80% of the player Bledsoe has been the past 4-5 seasons, then he'll prove to be an incredible steal at #16.

« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:22 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Otherwise, he’s got to be one of the worst rotation players in the NBA.

Tbh, this is a horrible take. Rozier is a starting pg on a lot of teams.
TBH this is a horrible take.

Rozier is not a starting point guard on any team that wants to win a consequential number of games.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2018, 03:14:44 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Fortunately both he and Smart have been playing better as of late. Good time to trade them both! Rozier has become a more competent offensive player he still can't pass or should I say doesn't pass? But if he can calm down and be a solid bench scorer I can live with that.
I don't want it to seem like a knock but one should be moved at trade deadline if a good deal is available.

Why do we want to trade our modern Sam & KC, who backed up Cousy, Ramsey & Sharman during the 60's dynasty ? They are looking like key parts of a developing bench that helps teams win titles. Why trade away players filling needed roles just to get some other player to fill another role. This team has been built beautifully. Let them develop and then let's enjoy the eventual results (hopefully #18 and beyond).

Note: Above statement is for role comparison - I don't literally believe that Rozier will be as good as Sam Jones one day, though Smart could be as good as KC.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why do we want to trade our modern Sam & KC

This is rather insulting to Sam and KC in all honesty

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/sam-jones/

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/kc-jones/

Do you really think Marcus and Terry are HOFers?

« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

Rozier is not a starting point guard on any team that wants to win a consequential number of games.

We can't know this. Time (maybe) will tell.

We positively know Roy's statement is wrong

« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2018, 09:04:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It wasn’t wrong on November 18. He’s obviously playing much better now. He’s still not close to a starting PG, but he’s been solid recently.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2018, 09:45:00 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I have really been impressed with him over the last few games.  He dribbles the ball with a purpose he never had before, which was my growing frustration with him.  He would get the ball and spend way too long just dribbling side to side usually going nowhere.  Because he is not a passer, he is not that type of guard.  Right now he is dribbling with purpose to attack.  To me, Rozier is really a back up SG more than a PG in that he is more off ball and attacking.  That's not an insult (just means he's sort of undersized but ti works) and actually works really well with Smart.  And the passing may come with time but as of now it's a long ways off.

I also really like some of the push shot / floaters he has been shooting recently, which I would compare to the type of one handed shots Wade is the master of in the paint.  I have always thought Rozier should work hard at this type of shot because he is so quick he could easily get this shot stopping in space against defenses very often if he was looking for it and confident in it.

The shot here at 1:18.  https://youtu.be/-OBOkeuJrc0?t=1m18s 

And his one made basket last game (not a good one, like some other players)

And plus the dunking.  Yeah a dunk is just 2 points but it shows growing confidence.

This is coming off being frustrated with him for a while, so keep that in mind.  He is no starter.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:03:25 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

It wasn’t wrong on November 18. He’s obviously playing much better now. He’s still not close to a starting PG, but he’s been solid recently.

On his good days he is in fact starting caliber point guard. In his bad days you just shake your head.

Here is to hoping that he continues to trend more good days than bad.

« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

On his good days he is in fact starting caliber point guard. In his bad days you just shake your head.

Even on his good days he isn’t enough of a distributor to be a starter.  Even if you extrapolated out his best month (December) to 36 minutes per night, he’d be putting up around 13 points and 3 assists.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Terry Rozier's best passing day of his career would make him the worst passing point guard starter in the league still.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2018, 05:08:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Terry Rozier's best passing day of his career would make him the worst passing point guard starter in the league still.
Thank you!

Terry Rozier cannot run an offense.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Even on his good days he isn’t enough of a distributor to be a starter.  Even if you extrapolated out his best month (December) to 36 minutes per night, he’d be putting up around 13 points and 3 assists.

To be fair, we can't extrapolate out his #s to assume much of anything. As a backup player, his role is to come in and provide a spark. We don't know if he would facilitate more/less as a starting PG, or as a starting SG.

I agree that he has been solid of late. He's definitely not Danny's worst draft pick, and its not like we should have expected a top player. I see him being a decent 6-8th man in the NBA

« Reply #252 on: January 28, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Thank you!

That was my thought last night. Pure chaos.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone at the deadline in a package for a Hood or Favors type player.

« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2018, 01:40:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Still here never left

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thank you!

That was my thought last night. Pure chaos.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone at the deadline in a package for a Hood or Favors type player.
Ainge and Stevens love Rozier for being the exact type player that he is, a guy with speed, confidence, athleticism that looks for his own shot and can score from anywhere. He still has a year left on his rookie contract. He isn't going anywhere.