Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90425 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

NEVER LOST. (Faith)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:41:56 PM by indeedproceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Just recently became one-he has made great strides in his game and think the addition of Kyrie is already showing in his dribbling skills-
I read someone calling Smart and Rozier -the Bruise Brothers-thought that very apt as a defensive pairing.

« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm still a fan of Terry, although I wish he would be more efficient offensively.   

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2017, 01:04:10 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
He also leads the league by a wide, wide, margin in Steals Per Assist.  Meaning Terry is generating about 2-3 extra possessions a game more then the rest of the leagues point guards, when most point guards are actually giving up possessions.

This is a stat I've never seen before.  Googling it only turns up one result, which is a Sixers blog.

So where do you see this stat?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He also leads the league by a wide, wide, margin in Steals Per Assist.  Meaning Terry is generating about 2-3 extra possessions a game more then the rest of the leagues point guards, when most point guards are actually giving up possessions.

This is a stat I've never seen before.  Googling it only turns up one result, which is a Sixers blog.

What’s it even measuring? Steals relative to an opponent’s assists? That would be pretty flawed on an individual basis.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2017, 04:40:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It sounds more like he's describing steal/turnover ratio, which is still pretty obscure but at least is a thing I've heard of before. Logic is possessions taken from the other team vs possessions given over to them.

Anything over 1 is exceptional for a ball-handling guard, and Terry's is currently 1.58. No idea if that leads the league or whatever but it's still a testament to his ball control.

« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The debate is a popularity contest.

He is a backup guard.
You can define him by his cons and, as he is a bench player, he's got plenty.
You can define him by his strengths which is fine, Stevens gives him a lot to do on a top team.

A lot of fans appreciate his effort on both ends, the guy doesn't ever dog it.
More fans appreciate that he actually helps the Celtics win a game once awhile. Look it up.

On the other side wow, he's not much of a shooter and
he tends to operate at about 120 miles per hour when on the court, which can be a liability.

I understand that the brilliance of our starters causes us to seek out a whipping boy or two, it's human nature but, Christmas folks....Smart and Rozier enter the game at about 6 minutes to go in the first quarter and play great defense. Back courts don't like playing against these guys. Admit it, they positively cranked on the Warriors. The two top rated players in the NBA had worse stats than....Terry freaking Rozier. Does Jaylen Brown get credit on this? Obviously, but he's only got 30 minutes and he needs a little help right? Team sport?

I suppose we can bring up the contract thing, but, we all know that Ainge would trade his grandmother to the Romanian league for contract relief if he felt it would help the team. The fact that Rozier is still here, I think, is that his defense is inexpensive and, if our starting back court goes down, Rozier wouldn't make a hash of the extra minutes.

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
maybe DA would trade Rozier for Lonzo Ball  ;D

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2017, 06:31:34 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Here's my take on T. Ro, ultimate energy guy off the bench, pushes in transition and actually has a pretty respectable jumper. His decision making at times can be a little erratic and he gets wild from time to time like when he does his crazy dribble moves at the top of the arc but doesn't actually go anywhere, I just feel like that's wasted energy. His defense is a little like rondo to me, gambles alot but also has success in the passing lanes getting deflections and steals but can't really stay in front of his guy and gets absolutely lost on PnR. Still like what he brings to the second unit but I feel like if he tightened up some things he could be a really good pg.
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2017, 12:08:59 AM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Terry has fantastic energy, is in the vicinity for every loose ball/rebound, plays hard D, and can absolutely hit an open 3. I wish he would better figure out his driving game since he moves so well and covers so much ground, but it doesn't look promising.

And, what's your solution, to play Larkin more or unleash Smart's outside shooting on the opponent? As a back-up guard making under $2M/yr, I am not sure what else we could hope for. He is an all-world athlete and proven NBA player - with [believe it or not] still potential to tighten things up on the offensive end.

He hasn’t improved in three years, he is a really bad shooter, and defensively he always takes the second best guard so his impact is mitigated.

Well over half his minutes have been next to Smart. Having two guys the opponent barely has to cover will eventually bite us.

Not sure that answers jambr380's question.

My solution? Acquire a guy who can play. I don’t care if it’s a free agent like Deron, a trade, a D-League call-up, etc. Backup PGs who can’t shoot or pass aren’t worth having, especially when they’re playing beside an even worse shooter.

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2017, 12:42:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Terry has fantastic energy, is in the vicinity for every loose ball/rebound, plays hard D, and can absolutely hit an open 3. I wish he would better figure out his driving game since he moves so well and covers so much ground, but it doesn't look promising.

And, what's your solution, to play Larkin more or unleash Smart's outside shooting on the opponent? As a back-up guard making under $2M/yr, I am not sure what else we could hope for. He is an all-world athlete and proven NBA player - with [believe it or not] still potential to tighten things up on the offensive end.

He hasn’t improved in three years, he is a really bad shooter, and defensively he always takes the second best guard so his impact is mitigated.

Well over half his minutes have been next to Smart. Having two guys the opponent barely has to cover will eventually bite us.

My solution? Acquire a guy who can play. I don’t care if it’s a free agent like Deron, a trade, a D-League call-up, etc. Backup PGs who can’t shoot or pass aren’t worth having, especially when they’re playing beside an even worse shooter.

I take it you didn't watch tonight's game.

I said this in the game thread, and I meant it, I would trade Rozier for JJ Barea straight up. Sadly, Dallas would probably just laugh at Danny if he proposed that.

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:16 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Internal development.

We can put up with weaknesses from young developing players because we have a committed front office, a great development coaching staff, and a roster full of young players with good upside.

We are winning. I wish our offense could always run and peak levels, too, but even the fact that this is a debate should be encouraging.

I still don't think we've seen the best offensive basketball from Smart or Rozier yet this season.

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2017, 01:30:42 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Internal development.

We can put up with weaknesses from young developing players because we have a committed front office, a great development coaching staff, and a roster full of young players with good upside.

We are winning. I wish our offense could always run and peak levels, too, but even the fact that this is a debate should be encouraging.

I still don't think we've seen the best offensive basketball from Smart or Rozier yet this season.

I sure hope it can’t get any worse.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2017, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Internal development.

I sure hope it can’t get any worse.
Took the words straight outta my mouth. TP

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I take it you didn't watch tonight's game.

I said this in the game thread, and I meant it, I would trade Rozier for JJ Barea straight up. Sadly, Dallas would probably just laugh at Danny if he proposed that.

#DKCBINKIESRUNDEEP

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner