Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90443 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Is there a better defensive bench back court in the NBA than Smart and Rozier?

His penetration ability is pretty crucial to our 2nd unit finding open shots and setting up ball movement. He hasn't been finishing well in the last 5 games but he started off the season amazingly and he should round back into form soon.

He's shooting 32.5% from three so far this season which isn't completely awful and he's making solid decisions for the most part.

So to answer the OP's question, yes, there are certainly plenty of Terry Rozier fans left, me being one of them.

If we had this conversation after the first 5 games we'd be saying how he's the next big thing.
Give him a solid 20-30 games or a third of a season before judging if he's a black hole/bum.

Right now he's cheap, he plays good D, and he's come up really clutch for us in some earlier wins. Plenty of time for him to prove himself this season.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Irving has a tendency to hold the ball too long. He is getting better in that, but its still a tendency of his. Rozier offers a really good change-of-pace to Irving. He gets the ball moving. He drives and kicks.

On top of that, he provides some nasty disruptive defense.

I'm a believer in his game. I think his shooting percentages will come up a bit this year. I know its his 3rd year, but with the roster turnover, it seems like he has struggled to find a rhythm, especially with the early season injuries.

Our second unit with Morris, Smart, and Rozier has been decent. That unit can score, but has also had some droughts. There just aren't very many options out there that would be a significant upgrade offensively without sacrificing our defense.

By putting the emphasis on internal development (ala the Spurs), we open ourselves up for getting the right guys on good contracts. This is a transition of philosophy. I know Ainge has made a lot of trades, and he may make more in the future, but we may need to get used to the idea that any weaknesses we have will be addressed through internal develop. That's not fast and easy and flashy in the modern NBA Trade Machine era, but it is how to build a dynasty.

« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Is there a better defensive bench back court in the NBA than Smart and Rozier?

Maybe not, but there also isn't very many back courts worse on offense than Smart/Rozier.

I like both players fine enough, individually, but Smart and Rozier are far too redundant and it would be better to replace one of them with more of a 'microwave' type scorer.

Sure, we've won 15 in a row and I super pumped about that, but it's not too hard to see that our woeful bench scoring is an issue that needs resolving.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:02:05 PM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Does this mean we'd like to see a lot more Shane Larkin or Jabari Bird? Is that the idea?

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I am not in love with Smart or Rozier and haven't really seen any growth from them since they were rookies. But they are cheap, effect the team on the defensive side of the game positively and unbelievably, the team is better offensively when Smart is on the floor.

We have a lot of draft picks coming up in the next few years. I would have no problem letting each player playing out their contracts while we replace them with 1st round draft picks.
This. Absolutely this

« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It's not that I love Rozier at all. It's that for some reason I don't understand Smart will probably make something like 9 to 16mill per year next year.

Rozier will get something like 3 to 7.  Smart is just not twice as good, and really when you consider the luxury tax he'd have to be 3 or 4 times as good.

Rozier does something similar and will make way less money.

For a team that clearly needs to pay a lot of money in the not too distant future to Kyrie, Jaylen, Tatum, and maybe someone else the choice is clear to me.

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's not that I love Rozier at all. It's that for some reason I don't understand Smart will probably make something like 9 to 16mill per year next year.

Rozier will get something like 3 to 7.  Smart is just not twice as good, and really when you consider the luxury tax he'd have to be 3 or 4 times as good.

For a team that clearly needs to pay a lot of money in the not too distant future to Kyrie, Jaylen, Tatum, and maybe someone else the choice is clear to me.

I mostly agree with you, but size matters. Also, the ability to defend 1 to 3 (even 4) positions also should matter, and Smart has the edge here by miles.

Difficult situation, but I agree the financial terms will be a key factor here (also, the rest of this season, POs and if the LA pick conveys).

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Does this mean we'd like to see a lot more Shane Larkin or Jabari Bird? Is that the idea?

I honestly would like to see a little more Jabari Bird; I've had quite enough of Larkin and think he should only be playing in blow-outs or when Rozier/Smart are absolutely horrible/in foul trouble.

Hopefully Rozier starts playing a little more like he was earlier in the season (or playoffs) so that these types of threads can go away.

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2017, 02:50:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Right now I'd guess Smart is only going to get a QO and if another team offers more than 12 per DA will decline to match. We thus will need Rozier.

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 03:08:56 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I like him better than Smart who I think is just terrible. I just hate they always play together. Brick City

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I like him better than Smart who I think is just terrible. I just hate they always play together. Brick City
When they are on the floor together, the Celtics outscore opponents by 10.1 points per 100 possessions.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I mostly agree with you, but size matters. Also, the ability to defend 1 to 3 (even 4) positions also should matter, and Smart has the edge here by miles.

Difficult situation, but I agree the financial terms will be a key factor here (also, the rest of this season, POs and if the LA pick conveys).
Sure size matters, but this isn't last year's team. We don't need Smart to step in and handle wings any more.

In the end, this is up to Smart alone. I think they like him warts and all and will pay him up to a number only Danny's team knows, probably around 12M. If he wants a few million more, someone else will probably pay it and he will be gone.

Let's keep in mind that Smart and Rozier play because no one has come along who is better yet. If Hayward hadn't gotten hurt, a sizeable chunk of those minutes would have come from them. The talent level on this team is still going up and they won't keep their jobs shooting like this for very much longer.

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I have zero trust in Rozier to handle the ball in the crunch. Cannot play on a set tempo, just runs full speed up and down the court. That's a major problem come playoff time. As a matter of fact, CBS was mostly using him off the ball as a weak side shooter during the playoffs.

In all honesty, I want us to trade him since the day we drafted him. Hopefully, he still has some value around the league. Any trade ideas people?

I bet Jonathon Simmons would do a good job for the C's as a backup SG (he is on a team friendly 3-year contract as well). Would you guys do Rozier + filler for Simmons?

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
When they are on the floor together, the Celtics outscore opponents by 10.1 points per 100 possessions.

They aren’t perfect but they are a big reason for this.

They are both 23 now and at some point you just have to say they are what they are.  It’s easy to fall into the Kelly Olynyk syndrome where you see pockets of hope every year, but never that big leap in their game.

What’s frustrating for me is Rozier has the physical profile to be so much better.  You see lanes for him to drive so much more if only he was more confident and crafty in his ball handling. He has the burst and first step but rarely uses it IMO.

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 12:16:08 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
There's a lot of things to love about Terry Rozier and you can cherry pick a couple bad stats on anyone.

Terry has logged 414 minutes and has only turned the ball over 12 times.  That's remarkable considering when he's on the court the ball is always in his hands.

He also leads the league by a wide, wide, margin in Steals Per Assist.  Meaning Terry is generating about 2-3 extra possessions a game more then the rest of the leagues point guards, when most point guards are actually giving up possessions.

So you have a back up PG who takes care of the ball at an elite level and plays defense at an elite level, makes his free throws.  And his shooting percentages go up in the playoffs.  He's also pretty darn clutch just from the eye test.

Yeah Im a fan.