Author Topic: The Gordon Hayward Double Digit scoring thread  (Read 12404 times)

Re: The Gordon Hayward Double Digit scoring thread
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2019, 12:48:40 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
He's scored 18 points but these will be exceptions to the rule as long as everyone is fit and getting minutes. Not everyone on this team can score big all the time. Look at tonight - Kyrie and Al out, that's a combined 49 points over the last 5 games between the 2 of them. Take 50 points off the table against a weak team, and you have Rozier and Brown scoring 26 in 30 mins,  and Hayward 18. Tatum "only" scored 15, and Morris "only" scored 11. Put Kyrie and Al's 50 points back on the table and what happens to everyone else's scoring opportunities? They drop.

The way to look at this team is not the traditional metric of "need to score 20+ points", it's more like how San Antonio was when they won the championship in 2014:

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

When playoff time comes our rotation will shorten and some people's numbers will go up while the end of rotation guys will drop. But during the regular season what I'm looking for from players isn't so much absolute numbers but efficiency - in this case Hayward was 6-10, he had 5 rebounds but zero assists. So still plenty for him to work on. Rozier was 9-13, 4-5 from 3, 8 rebounds, 6 assists...even if those numbers were halved because he played 20 mins instead of 30 I would still consider it a good performance. The most important number for me is the 125 points the entire team scored.

Paying 30 mill for what gordon is giving is trash imo.

Team wins, yup, sure. But look at guys impacting the wins far more than he is....based on gordons salary Mook deserves 40 mill a season.

If gordon isnt putting up 20ppg 4 and 4 by and including playoffs he needs to go.

Hes getting paid like a star, he needs to produce like one.

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Right... 3 months into the season and still not at 80% at least

Let's buy out the cripple....

« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Right... 3 months into the season and still not at 80% at least

Let's buy out the cripple....

he isnt even 80%.

more like 60%...and has been there the entire season.

Its been 15 months since the injury now....if he isnt better and at least 80% into the playoffs then he is never ever returning to form.

« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
He's scored 18 points but these will be exceptions to the rule as long as everyone is fit and getting minutes. Not everyone on this team can score big all the time. Look at tonight - Kyrie and Al out, that's a combined 49 points over the last 5 games between the 2 of them. Take 50 points off the table against a weak team, and you have Rozier and Brown scoring 26 in 30 mins,  and Hayward 18. Tatum "only" scored 15, and Morris "only" scored 11. Put Kyrie and Al's 50 points back on the table and what happens to everyone else's scoring opportunities? They drop.

The way to look at this team is not the traditional metric of "need to score 20+ points", it's more like how San Antonio was when they won the championship in 2014:

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

When playoff time comes our rotation will shorten and some people's numbers will go up while the end of rotation guys will drop. But during the regular season what I'm looking for from players isn't so much absolute numbers but efficiency - in this case Hayward was 6-10, he had 5 rebounds but zero assists. So still plenty for him to work on. Rozier was 9-13, 4-5 from 3, 8 rebounds, 6 assists...even if those numbers were halved because he played 20 mins instead of 30 I would still consider it a good performance. The most important number for me is the 125 points the entire team scored.

Team wins, yup, sure. But look at guys impacting the wins far more than he is....based on gordons salary Mook deserves 40 mill a season.

If gordon isnt putting up 20ppg 4 and 4 by and including playoffs he needs to go.

You're completely right, that bum needs to go. I think Horford should up his game too. His stats are pathetic. Look at Capela for example, he's averaging 17 and 12 for half of what Al is making. They gotta go ::)

« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

You're completely right, that bum needs to go. I think Horford should up his game too. His stats are pathetic. Look at Capela for example, he's averaging 17 and 12 for half of what Al is making. They gotta go ::)

Im not sold on Al moving forward, but his contract is up soon, so not a big deal.

But I cannot see how anyone can excuse the passivity of Hayward. 31 mill per season.

worst shooting percentages of his career
weak RBPM numbers
defense is the worst in his career
back away from opportunities

these are things that even with an ankle at 60% should not be this bad.  And there is ZERO indications that his ankle is giving him any issue, and ZERO indication that his ankle isnt strong.

its mental. And that is a hurdle that is looking more and more like he will never cross.

we do not need a 31 million dollar a year 7th man.

Hayward has been bad. He’s averaging just 11.0 points per game, on .422/.323/.840 shooting splits. Boston has been 5.5 points per 100 possessions worse in his minutes on the court, per Cleaning the Glass

« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
18!!!

I’ll take it! I wish he would shoot it even more
I think for every fan to be happy with the shots each of our players get we would need to run a faster pace than the 1980's Doug Moe Nuggets...and that ain't happening.

I think we need to get used to the fact that Kyrie and maybe one other player is going to consistently get their shots and put up numbers every game that would show their value as compared to their contemporaries across the league.

We don't have to become the 1980's Doug Moe Nuggets, but the team would benefit from greater pace and movement, and this is my biggest criticism of Kyrie. He does not play with pace because he prefers to put his energy into his iso game.

When Rozier is playing well, this is why. This was what kept us competitive in the playoffs last year. This is what brings out the best of Tatum and Brown. Its what leverages the team's overall talent the most.

« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2019, 01:20:33 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
18!!!

I’ll take it! I wish he would shoot it even more
I think for every fan to be happy with the shots each of our players get we would need to run a faster pace than the 1980's Doug Moe Nuggets...and that ain't happening.

I think we need to get used to the fact that Kyrie and maybe one other player is going to consistently get their shots and put up numbers every game that would show their value as compared to their contemporaries across the league.

We don't have to become the 1980's Doug Moe Nuggets, but the team would benefit from greater pace and movement, and this is my biggest criticism of Kyrie. He does not play with pace because he prefers to put his energy into his iso game.

When Rozier is playing well, this is why. This was what kept us competitive in the playoffs last year. This is what brings out the best of Tatum and Brown. Its what leverages the team's overall talent the most.

Unfortunately, when Rozier plays with pace as a reserve (usually w/out Kyrie) he still makes terrible decisions.

« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Debate Hayward all you want, but don’t drag family into it. Also, no personal attacks / calling other members “trolls”, etc. If a post is inappropriate , just report it to the staff please.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

Im not sold on Al moving forward, but his contract is up soon, so not a big deal.

But I cannot see how anyone can excuse the passivity of Hayward. 31 mill per season.

weak RBPM numbers

these are things that even with an ankle at 60% should not be this bad.  And there is ZERO indications that his ankle is giving him any issue, and ZERO indication that his ankle isnt strong.

its mental. And that is a hurdle that is looking more and more like he will never cross.

Hayward has been bad. He’s averaging just 11.0 points per game, on .422/.323/.840 shooting splits. Boston has been 5.5 points per 100 possessions worse in his minutes on the court, per Cleaning the Glass

You do not recover from such an injury quickly. Its such an ignorant statement.

When you play a sport at a high level (even games) for a long period, stooping for even just a few months make you lose an edge. Your body is out of sync, because your brain is trying to do something the best way it remembers how, while your body is issued orders it cannot do yet.

What Hayward is doing right now is part of rehab. He has been playing sports since he was very young, to suddenly stop soing it for quite some time? His body needs time and practice to be in the condition it was. And this is not counting outside factors like his mentality or his familiarity with his teammates.

Its a different field, but when I was playing league of legends actively before, my peak was average 9 cs per minute. I stopped playing for 8 months and my cs dropped to 6, take note I did not have an injury of any kind. It took me 3 whole months of playing a lot to get back where I used to.

« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

weak RBPM numbers

When you play a sport at a high level (even games) for a long period, stooping for even just a few months make you lose an edge. Your body is out of sync, because your brain is trying to do something the best way it remembers how, while your body is issued orders it cannot do yet.

What Hayward is doing right now is part of rehab. He has been playing sports since he was very young, to suddenly stop soing it for quite some time? His body needs time and practice to be in the condition it was. And this is not counting outside factors like his mentality or his familiarity with his teammates.

Its a different field, but when I was playing league of legends actively before, my peak was average 9 cs per minute. I stopped playing for 8 months and my cs dropped to 6, take note I did not have an injury of any kind. It took me 3 whole months of playing a lot to get back where I used to.

I didnt state he should be completely healed by now, but I would expect more than 60%.

there is no reports of pain, no reports of swelling, no reports that his ankle isnt 100% again, none, so I am going off information that is know....or is not known in this case.

And all you posted does not explain his passiveness, and things that would not be ankle related, like shooting percentages, he was shooting from a chair while in a cast....I would fully expect better numbers than the WORST of his career 15 months after the injury.

I am calling into question his mentality more so than his physicality.

He seems broken.

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
This continues to be one of the most embarrassing threads in the history of this blog.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

weak RBPM numbers

I didnt state he should be completely healed by now, but I would expect more than 60%.

there is no reports of pain, no reports of swelling, no reports that his ankle isnt 100% again, none, so I am going off information that is know....or is not known in this case.

And all you posted does not explain his passiveness, and things that would not be ankle related, like shooting percentages, he was shooting from a chair while in a cast....I would fully expect better numbers than the WORST of his career 15 months after the injury.

He seems broken.

I think you're drastically underestimating how hard it is to get back to where you were when recovering from such a catastrophic injury, especially given the set back in his initial recovery.  Then consider that the role he is being asked to play is far different from any role he's ever been asked to play, and it's pretty easy to see why he's struggling with consistency.

I feel confident he'll get back to where he was in Utah, although he'll likely never average the same raw numbers.  The important thing to watch will be his shooting percentages.  If by next season he still is struggling it'd be fair to question if he'll ever get back to his old self.  Right now it's too soon.

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

weak RBPM numbers

He seems broken.

But you did say even at 60% he shouldn’t be this bad. You’re right, he (nor anyone) shouldn’t be playing.

Just because there is no swelling or reports of pain doesn’t mean he’s 100%. And the difference between 90 and 100 can be huge. Being strong/pain-free isn’t the same as being what it was before the injury, he may still have a ways to go to get that lift/explosiveness he’s used to.

There is certainly a mental aspect to this. And there is no reason to believe he won’t regain his full confidence. These things take time. PG13 is having a career year, he wasn’t as good that first season back.

The truth is the more and more he plays on it, the less and less he’ll think about it. He’s also adapting to a new system and role that I’m sure is playing a factor in this.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Parker 16
Duncan 15
Kawhi 13
Ginobili 12
Belinelli 11
Mills 10
Diaw 9
Green 9

weak RBPM numbers

He seems broken.

But you did say even at 60% he shouldn’t be this bad. You’re right, he (nor anyone) shouldn’t be playing.

Just because there is no swelling or reports of pain doesn’t mean he’s 100%. And the difference between 90 and 100 can be huge. Being strong/pain-free isn’t the same as being what it was before the injury, he may still have a ways to go to get that lift/explosiveness he’s used to.

There is certainly a mental aspect to this. And there is no reason to believe he won’t regain his full confidence. These things take time. PG13 is having a career year, he wasn’t as good that first season back.

The truth is the more and more he plays on it, the less and less he’ll think about it. He’s also adapting to a new system and role that I’m sure is playing a factor in this.

OK 60% might be a stretch, but I dont think he looking 80% either.

and the difference between 90-100% is no larger than the gap between 80-90%.

He has a huge mental hurdle right now and I am fearing he doesnt clear it.

« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
If Gordon has a good game of 20 points and 5 assists we will beat GS.