Author Topic: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast  (Read 8638 times)

Re: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 08:38:53 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I honestly don't care.  It seems we have two future star players on our hands.  I for one did not see the offensive efficiency coming like this but I also did not expect them to get the touches they are getting because of injuries.  It sucks losing Kyrie and Hayward but losing both has been vital for the development for Brown, Tatum and Scary Terry.  Without those two going down these three don't develop as rapidly as they have.  As for Ceiling on Tatum versus Brown I would have said Tatum has the higher ceiling but at this time I'm not sure.  Brown will continue to tighten his handle and become an even better lock down defender.  If Brown continues to develop his shot this will be a scary arse duo.  I don't know who to pick at this point and that is a wonderful thing because I feel both have insanely high superstar type levels.

Exactly. TP.

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
People are picking out a lot of the good in both players. Don't sleep on the other thing that makes these guys - and it seems, the whole team - special. They are going to keep developing because of their mindset, their makeup. They work hard, they work smart, and they're going to  make the most of their talent - not everybody does. I'm expecting them to show new tricks next year, and the year after that.   

I'm convinced there is a mental aspect to the team's player selection and development that sets the Cs apart. The resilience is incredible, the composure when the team is down or on the road against a hostile crowd. I don't think it's just luck. The team is picking players for talent, of course, but also there is something in the players' makeup that they see and select for that other teams don't see or can't see.

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 08:49:51 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Brown s better handle and control this year solidly makes him a bad to the bone long unstoppable 2 guard .  He might be scary good by end of next year.

Tatum has a bit different game

Both are gonna be a scary  tandem of assassins next year .....with Irvin and Hayward ......buckets will,be scored in bunches.

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
People are picking out a lot of the good in both players. Don't sleep on the other thing that makes these guys - and it seems, the whole team - special. They are going to keep developing because of their mindset, their makeup. They work hard, they work smart, and they're going to  make the most of their talent - not everybody does. I'm expecting them to show new tricks next year, and the year after that.   

I'm convinced there is a mental aspect to the team's player selection and development that sets the Cs apart. The resilience is incredible, the composure when the team is down or on the road against a hostile crowd. I don't think it's just luck. The team is picking players for talent, of course, but also there is something in the players' makeup that they see and select for that other teams don't see or can't see.

Couldn't agree more.  I've mentioned in other discussions that Stevens' ability to develop players is an absolute game changer when it comes to drafting young talent.  Ainge has the luxury of placing high priority on great athletes with determination, character, and high work ethic.  Jaylen and Rozier are great examples of raw prospects who checked off all of those boxes.  These guys are now able to grow together and learn how to impact winning under Brad. 

The average NBA team doesn't have a strong coach and/or player development philosophy.  I look toward the 2016 draft as a perfect example.  Guys like Dunn, Hield, Murray, and Chriss were all projected higher than Jaylen according to most mock drafts.  I also can't leave out Bender. People were drawn to a Dirk type of ceiling. 

I can see why Jaylen would have been difficult to pick if you had no confidence in your player development.  At that point you are putting 100% of your faith in the player to figure everything out.  Going into the draft he didn't have a consistent shot, was a weak ball handler, and hadn't yet developed a high basketball IQ.

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2018, 09:40:00 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
More likely that Tatum is ultimately the better player, but Jaylen's ceiling is probably still higher. Like the best case scenario for Jaylen is probably a more dominant player than best case for Tatum. But the best case for each is still a top 10 guy.

So it really doesn't matter. Guys rarely hit their absolute ceilings anyway. Both are on the right track and ahead of where I would have expected them to be at this point in their careers. The absolute best thing about them is that they can play together now and going forward.

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
I've always thought that Jaylen's ultimate upside was Paul George, and it seems like he's closing in on it already.

They both entered the league at the same age and check them out through two seasons:

http://tinyurl.com/ya48cg5c

George was slightly better in assists, steals, rebounds, Jaylen is slightly better in scoring and efficiency. But they're extremely close.

George wasn't very good in those first two postseasons, though ...

« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2018, 04:13:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m starting to think that JB is more “untouchable” than Tatum if we decide to trade one...

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2018, 04:24:12 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I mean, Brown is both older and in his second season.  He should look better right now.

Tatum has looked a lot better as a rookie than Brown did.

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I'm not seeing top 10, all-NBA, MVP candidate player in either of them --  at least not the way I see it in Ben Simmons or Embiid.  Granted, Embiid has a couple years on them, but neither JB or JT scream likely top 10 to me.  They do look like future all-stars (top 25) with the dream scenario being that they'll progress to league-elite players. But right now they are two very promising players who are getting fantastic experience -- and hopefully will adjust seamlessly when they go from being the 1-2 options to the 3-4 options next year.

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2018, 04:46:06 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I’m starting to think that JB is more “untouchable” than Tatum if we decide to trade one...

It's hard not to feel that way given how he is performing right in front of our eyes.  There's a chance that Jaylen could become an efficient 25+ PPG scorer and All-NBA defender.

What makes the decision so difficult for me is that I still see Tatum as having the higher overall offensive ceiling.  I really belive Tatum will end up being able to score 20+ in his sleep while being a primary decision maker on offense.  The good news is that I think their games will compliment each other perfectly.

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I'm not seeing top 10, all-NBA, MVP candidate player in either of them --  at least not the way I see it in Ben Simmons or Embiid.  Granted, Embiid has a couple years on them, but neither JB or JT scream likely top 10 to me.  They do look like future all-stars (top 25) with the dream scenario being that they'll progress to league-elite players. But right now they are two very promising players who are getting fantastic experience -- and hopefully will adjust seamlessly when they go from being the 1-2 options to the 3-4 options next year.
So Jaylen Brown, who is 21, has two 30 pt games in the first 4 games of the playoffs and plays all-NBA level defense, and you don't see top 10 potential in him?

« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2018, 05:46:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Brown and Tatum have really stepped up. Both looking like future all stars. This is great experience for them.

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2018, 06:31:57 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I've always believed the that Jaylen has the high absolute ceiling for the simple reason thats he a freak NBA athlete, and the best players usually have soné skill or traía that is élite level. Durants length, Westbrook athleticism, Irving handles, ect. Tatum could get their with his shooting but right now his best skill is the ability to create a semi open long two. In either case both have along way to go skill wise, especially passing the ball. But Jaylen has shown some high level ability to get his shot (that se back 3!!) and done improved ball handling that make me think he could at least reach high level #2 option ability, and he may be ahead of Tatum in that area.   

All in all I think its close. People like to point out Tatum is better his rookie year than Brown, but not all development is linear or as simple as that. In any case im glad we have both.

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Jaylen really stands out with his killer mentality.

And it seems like he’s willed himself to be a good player.

He’s a force.

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I was high on Brown the year before we drafted him. During the lotto, I was leaning more towards Ingram, he just looked better in college. But was super happy when they picked him over Dunn because of his potential. IT will be interesting next season to see how he does when he has to share the ball more. But thing is, even if we lose this round, Brown has shown he can step up and  and play at a higher level. Which will be scary for other teams. Even scarier if Tatum has the leap that Brown had.

Remember when the crowd booed and people on here were wondering if DA had lost his mind when they drafted him?