Author Topic: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast  (Read 8635 times)

Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast
« on: November 18, 2017, 02:22:31 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I know we all love Jayson...and his rookie year has been excellent.

But it’s no guarantee that he ends up better than Jaylen.

I’ve heard high national praise for him this week.

“He’s on the Kawhi track.” - two members of the national media

“I think he’s going to be a top 15 player in this league.” - one former coach

Jayson is more polished and smooth...but Jaylen is a straight up problem with a killer mentality.

I, for one, am curious to see how this turns out.

Re: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:29:35 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Nobody is guaranteeing he will be better than Brown, but he appears to be better at 19 years old.

I just hope they keep pushing each other to be better and play together for the next decade.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'm going to guarantee that Tatum WILL be better than brown.  Frankly, I think Tatum is better than brown right now.  Jaylen has some real holes in his game that will take work to reach average.  Jayson has no such holes and is only scratching the surface.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think it's a tossup right now due to Jaylen's stunted development.

Tatum had a great college coach/teacher/program at Duke, whereas Jaylen and Rabb and Jabari Bird  played for a coach, Cuonzo Martin, who sucked. They basically lost valuable developmental years, 1,2 and 3 respectively due to this guy and didn't come close to maximizing their potential in college.

Maybe we were lucky that Martin sucked so badly and wasn't able to best utilize the many talented players he had. Maybe Jaylen would never have slipped to us had he played for a decent coach/system, and his true abilities were brought out.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
yes not so fast.... we won't know for sure until next season

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Until Jaylen shows me that he can create his own offense, and not just feast on opportunities created for him by others, yes, it does appear Jayson has the higher upside.

Jaylen looks like a #2 or #3 banana on a really good team.  Jayson looks like he can potentially be an alpha.  That's not written in stone, but it's how it looks at the moment. 

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 03:03:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it's a tossup right now due to Jaylen's stunted development.

Tatum had a great college coach/teacher/program at Duke, whereas Jaylen and Rabb and Jabari Bird  played for a coach, Cuonzo Martin, who sucked. They basically lost valuable developmental years, 1,2 and 3 respectively due to this guy and didn't come close to maximizing their potential in college.

Maybe we were lucky that Martin sucked so badly and wasn't able to best utilize the many talented players he had. Maybe Jaylen would never have slipped to us had he played for a decent coach/system, and his true abilities were brought out.

I am a huge Jaylen fan and don't necessarily disagree with your comment about development (although one and dones often never have the desire to develop much in college), but Jaylen went #3 - I don't exactly think he 'slipped' to us at that draft slot. If anything, Danny and Brad saw through his pedestrian freshman year and were able to snag him up before anybody else could. I just don't think he had any chance of ever before Simmons/Ingram.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
What I appreciate is that we have both guys and they compliment each other's skills. They also both look like they are going to get much stronger in the next couple of years. This is going to be a fun ride.

I wouldn't bet against Jaylen though. This already feels like his team, not Kyrie's. When he turns up the intensity all the way, he seems to be able to impose his will on the game, and he is doing that in most of our games these days, even when his shot isn't going in.

Think about it: It would be a legitimate argument whether Durant or Jaylen was the best player on the floor Thursday night, and that's even with all of his offensive flaws on display. He's shown the same level of competitiveness against LeBron. There's a dozen or so guys in the league that are just more athletic than everyone else, and you need someone like him to compete.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
To me Brown clearly has the high ceiling. His athleticism is upper echelin in the nba and in that regard he just had the ability to do things that Tatum can't, regardless of his evident skill. It's also worth pointing out that Brown has already demonstrated the ability to improve significantly from years one to year two, that's not a leap that any player including Tatum is guaranteed to make. To me that give the idea of Brown getting even better some credence, because he already done it. In addition for this year it's worth pointing out that Brown typically draws the tougher wing assignment, both offensively and defensively, so this eases Tatum burden. And his shooting from three will regress. Plus I love Jaylen attutude. None of this guarantees Brown will be better, Tatum may be more likely ti reach his ceiling, but I'll take Brown

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Ah what a glorious problem to have. Imagine having 2 children who both have the potential to dominate the same area of expertise. Regardless of who gets out on top, you'd still be beaming like a proud parent.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 04:59:55 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I thought it was a known thing that jaylen's ceiling was higher.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Tatum will probably be the better passer and rebounder, but I doubt he'll be a better scorer.

I think Jaylen could have at least one 40 point game this year.

Defensively, still too soon to guess.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 05:09:31 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
The fact that we are using Tatum's 16 game sample size as a competitive comparison against Brown tells the story for me.  Brown's level of mental toughness is higher than Tatum's right now but I wouldn't say his talent is considered better.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
jaylen beat the warriors. i dont think too many other plays in this league can accomplish that.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 06:06:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Tatum has a higher ceiling, but I think Jaylen has more potential.

Jaylen's lateral quickness, and his ability to use his jumping ability to force players into tough shots cannot be understated, especially in a league where being able to switch on everything has become more and more prominent.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different