Author Topic: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast  (Read 8639 times)

Re: Tatum’s ceiling higher than Brown - not so fast
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Love both of these guys and it's pretty early in both of their careers still.

The big difference I see besides Jaylens  athleticism is confidence.  Jaylen is very  confident and Brad has convinced him to attack opposing teams. The combination has him excelling in his second year. I look for even bigger breakout performance from him this season..

Jason is getting a lot of minutes because of the Hayward injury. He hasn't disappointed and even though he is obviously thinking a lot out there, he is performing. When it comes together he looks very smooth and his talent is obvious. He makes very few big mistakes even when being schooled by Durant.

The fire and ice nickname is appropriate for these two.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2017, 08:54:31 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Jaylen Brown is my Keeper in my fantasy league, but deep down I know Tatum is the better prospect.  Honestly he's the best draft pick the Celtics have made in decades. He's basically doing exactly what Paul Pierce did as a 21 year old Rookie, only with slightly higher efficiency and on a winning team. 

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The comparison is what is Tatum doing in his first 20 games compared to what Brown did in his first 20 games.  Tatum is way ahead in that regard.  You still never know how these guys are going to develop.  Brown is much more physically developed than Tatum but you would expect that in the next few years, Tatum will catch up.  Most young men do but not all.

Tatum is so skilled, so smooth, things it is hard to teach or to practice and learn.  Brown has shown remarkable improvement in those areas this season over last.

Flip a coin with these two.

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The big difference I see besides Jaylens  athleticism is confidence.

I for one, do not think that Tatum is lacking in athletic ability nor confidence.   Who would you trust more to take a clutch shot?

For me, it's Tatum

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2017, 02:41:39 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm going to guarantee that Tatum WILL be better than brown.  Frankly, I think Tatum is better than brown right now.  Jaylen has some real holes in his game that will take work to reach average.  Jayson has no such holes and is only scratching the surface.

I'm in this camp. LOL More polished just needs time on the court and once he really learns the NBA game...look out.

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Tatum has the higher ceiling as I could see Tatum being a top 5 player in the game. Brown's ceiling is top 15 player in the game, IMHO. But if they are both Celtics, who cares. They will grow together and be dominant

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Seems to be Tatum. But...

Some here predicted Jaylen's break out in Year Two.  Not me.  I thought he'd be a little better, and after SL I was sure that he'd take just a step rather than a leap (recall that after a big performance in game 1 of SL, Jaylen looked a lot like rookie Jaylen).   What Jaylen's done has me stunned and giddy -- on both ends of the floor.  Last year he couldn't dribble the lane without losing the handle or getting the ball knocked out.  Still room for improvement there, but he's light year's ahead of rookie Jaylen.  His shot has improved, passing has improved, rebounding has significantly improved.  But most of all, his defense has leaped.  Last year he was often in the wrong place and often beaten.  This year he is emerging, and he looks like an elite defender in the making.  I think he can be one of a few guys on this team capable of annoying the heck out of LBJ come playoffs.  It is Jaylen's leap from Year One to Year Two that makes me wonder if he's got another leap in him.  If so, he may challenge Jayson for top guy.

But Tatum comes into the league already special, and that's too rare to ignore.

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I'm going to guarantee that Tatum WILL be better than brown.  Frankly, I think Tatum is better than brown right now.  Jaylen has some real holes in his game that will take work to reach average.  Jayson has no such holes and is only scratching the surface.

I definitely disagree but I am excited for this duo  I really hope the pick from philly turns into one more stud young piece because Brown and Tatum are just oozing potential.  Brown is the better player right now and has more potential then Tatum is some aspects of the game and the same can be said about Tatum.  That is why they complement each other so well. 

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think someone earlier in the thread was right when they described them as Fire and Ice. Both are super talented and young and seem to "fit" well together.

I think Brown has the higher ceiling. He was a raw prospect coming out of Cal. He had a lot of traits and tools but hadn't put anything together yet. Tatum is clearly more advanced offesnively at his age but Brown took a massive leave from year one to year two. He's got the talent and the athleticism to be a legit 2 way force in this league. It might take him a little longer for his offensive game to develop but I believe he's more likely to develop into a legit 2 way star.

All that being said, I do not think Tatum is that far behind. He has an advanced feel for the game has already made him a solid contributor is his first NBA season as a 19 year old. He still has room for physical maturation but he isn't the type of elite athlete Brown is. That is not saying he is not athletic. He's got good athleticism, just not elite. He's been impressive to me defensively so early into his career. He seems to have a high BBIQ ad seems to be in the right spots he majority of the time. I think he's got the potential to be a star but I think his lack of upper tier athleticism will hold him back from reaching that type of level. I do think the Paul Pierce type of comparison is kind of fitting for him though.

Having both on the team is a nice problem to have. It's hard to hit on just one lottery pick, yet alone two of them in back to back years but the Cs might have hit the jackpot with both of these guys. Both could be perennial wing all star type players. Time will tell but it certainly is an exciting time here. If these guys pan out to what we think/hope they will be and add Kyrie/Hayward/Al to the mix over the next couple of seasons, they might be lifting that 18th banner at the Garden.

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
  The question is not meaningless, but it is one-dimensional, so there is only so far you can get with it. Thanks to these two, the team's ceiling is: multiple championships.

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I believe Brown has the upside to become a Scottie Pippen type force in the NBA, only he has a better 3 point shot.

Tatum has the potential to be a Melo level scorer in the NBA, except he's not a ball-stopper, he's a way better defender already, and he has an extremely impressive 3 point shot.

So think about that, if you can have the modern version of Pippen and Melo on your team, that's pretty scary.  These guys are only 21 and 19 years old respectively too!  And the best part is they both take pride in playing defense.  So they are 2-way players and totally buying into Brad Steven's system.  This team could be scary good as JB and JT grow into their games!

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tatum has better natural feel for the game. Just does. And I love Brown. My favorite Celtic.

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 09:11:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ultimately, nobody really knows. I thinks Brown may have the highest absolute ceiling. But Tatum maybe a safer bet to reach his ceiling than Brown.

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 08:18:10 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
We are witnessing a #1 scoring option in its infancy…#JayBomb!!!

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I honestly don't care.  It seems we have two future star players on our hands.  I for one did not see the offensive efficiency coming like this but I also did not expect them to get the touches they are getting because of injuries.  It sucks losing Kyrie and Hayward but losing both has been vital for the development for Brown, Tatum and Scary Terry.  Without those two going down these three don't develop as rapidly as they have.  As for Ceiling on Tatum versus Brown I would have said Tatum has the higher ceiling but at this time I'm not sure.  Brown will continue to tighten his handle and become an even better lock down defender.  If Brown continues to develop his shot this will be a scary arse duo.  I don't know who to pick at this point and that is a wonderful thing because I feel both have insanely high superstar type levels.