Author Topic: The run against GS came when Smart subbed in for Irving...  (Read 2249 times)

The run against GS came when Smart subbed in for Irving...
« on: November 17, 2017, 11:40:53 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdEycexAGvc

I thought it was interesting that the Celtics put that run together when Marcus Smart, who has been a ghost on the offensive end, came in for Irving.

Smart was a +15
Irving was a -4

http://cdn.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400974966

Planting the seed for a potential Ewing Theory here.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: The run against GS came when Smart subbed in for Irving...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:47:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Kyrie said he couldn’t see anything with the mask.  Going to assume that hurt him

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:52:10 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
C's came back with Smart in. C's won with Irving in at the end of the 4th. The C's needed both of them to do different things at different times.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »

Offline BlastFromThePast

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 78
C's came back with Smart in. C's won with Irving in at the end of the 4th. The C's needed both of them to do different things at different times.

Cogent and succinct.  Couldn't have said it better except the verv tense.  The team needs both of what they bring to the table now and in the future to be as successful as the team is capable of being. 

And KI realizes it.  It was no coincidence that near the end of the game, when KI had the ball at the right side of the front court with court with Smart having position on Currey near the paint he bounced a pass to Smart who, in turn, bounced it right back.  But, KI bounced another one back to Smart to show him, despite having a terrible shooting night he had largely taken good shots that just didn't drop, he had the position (and mismatch) to take advantage of inside to take the shot. 

Smart missed the shot but little things like that which don't show up in the scorecard does shows the respect KI has for what Smart delivers on the court and encouragement on his part that will help Smart with his confidence to take and make a big shot late in the game in an important game (or series) down the road.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 12:54:04 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
What I take away from this was that Smart was lucky enough to be in the game when Jaylen Brown went off. That's not to say that Smart didn't play some role in that run, he had a nice steal under the basket during the run for example. But it was a lot more about who he was playing with than it was his actual play. This is a good example of why yu have to take any single game plus minus with a grain of salt.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 12:59:46 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
What I take away from this was that Smart was lucky enough to be in the game when Jaylen Brown went off. That's not to say that Smart didn't play some role in that run, he had a nice steal under the basket during the run for example. But it was a lot more about who he was playing with than it was his actual play. This is a good example of why yu have to take any single game plus minus with a grain of salt.
Which is why that bum Zaza pachulia was top 5 in +/- most of last year, I would be +130 too if I played along side curry, Klay, durant and draymond
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Which is why that bum Zaza pachulia was top 5 in +/- most of last year, I would be +130 too if I played along side curry, Klay, durant and draymond
Yup, and this video seems to show that it wasn't just Smart being lucky to be on the floor with Jaylen, but that he actually was a big reason for the run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPeYv-_rnBQ&t=29s

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
During the C's 19-0 run Smart got a steal and helped force 1 turn over. That's 2 possessions he helped keep GS scoreless, and helped get the Celtics the ball back.

He only took 1 shot the whole run and that's pretty much what I want Smart to be doing. Play defense, and unless you're playmaking on offense, don't touch the ball and let your teammates get buckets.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Irving kept us in game at certain points.   Smart did not trigger the run, it was Jaylen.

But Boston, led by Horford and Brown, scored the next 19 points to seize the lead, taking advantage of the officials’ allowing a great deal of contact defensively to force the Warriors into numerous bad shots.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/sports/basketball/celtics-warriors.html

The whole premise of this thread is about as steady as shifting ice.

Please read this:

The Celtics’ offensive success was led by Irving, who scored 11 of his 16 points in the fourth. In particular, the Celtics guard attacked the basket, either scoring at the rim or going to the free-throw line. Seven of Irving’s 11 points came from the charity stripe

https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2017/11/17/16668692/nba-2017-golden-state-warriors-boston-celtics-kevin-durant-stephen-curry-jaylen-brown-kyrie-irving

The guy scores 11 points in the fourth and was critical to win.   We would not have sustained it without him.  Some of us live in the world of facts.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:19:16 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think the Warriors were looking in the mirror Thursday night. They aren't used to facing teams that are long, switch everything, play good defense and have some good one on one offensive players.

To finally have a guy like Kyrie that can go get a basket or foul as the shot clocking is going down is great. I think Bron knows he doesn't have that anymore.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

TP. It’s a team game. We needed several players to come up big, and they did!

I could name several. One guy maybe not getting enough credit is efficient Al, or if you like, ever-ready Al. Probably our most consistent and irreplaceable two-way player so far.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 10:53:15 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
If you watch the tape of the run you will notice Terry Rozier, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart completely dominating on both ends.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If you watch the tape of the run you will notice Terry Rozier, Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart completely dominating on both ends.

They're like our own shock troops....intensity, fearlessness and quick strike capability.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
And this is why +/- is such a useless stat on a game to game basis.

Sure, Smart made some contributions on defense, but so many other players were much more responsible for that win. Smart was at best like the 5th most important player in that game.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I think the Warriors were looking in the mirror Thursday night. They aren't used to facing teams that are long, switch everything, play good defense and have some good one on one offensive players.

To finally have a guy like Kyrie that can go get a basket or foul as the shot clocking is going down is great. I think Bron knows he doesn't have that anymore.

Bron said he is finally able to have a point guard who can pass the ball around and also create his own shots. What a disrespect to Kyrie Irving.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)