Author Topic: LaVar Ball: A Guide On How to Not Coach Your Sons  (Read 7828 times)

LaVar Ball: A Guide On How to Not Coach Your Sons
« on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Ever since Lonzo's year at UCLA, LaVar Ball has been swooned by the media as this super quotable genius father of three who has created these amazing basketball protégées from scratch, but the more you see from the Ball's, the more I see him as a future guide on how to not coach your sons.

1. I know he obviously does care for his family, but it is blatantly obvious he is living vicariously through them in an attempt to achieve things he was never able to do. don't do this

2. If you see Lonzo's game, everything about it is non-fundamental, his shooting motion, his defence, his dribbling ability, free throw motion ect. I actually feel the main reason for Lonzo being an NBA player is his height and his natural born instinct, neither of which were taught. You'd think LaVar being a 'coach' would make sure from an early age that he was fundamentally sound and if you see coaches sons or former NBA players son's their best attributes are their fundamentals. don't allow this

3. LaVar obviously has pushed the idea of making a Ball brand and cost his son his first major payday signing with a brand like Nike or Under Amor and even had the hide to tell a brand that he (not Lonzo) wanted full creative control and 'co-branding'  don't do this

4. Lonzo miraculously makes it to the NBA through his own hard work and dedication (not LaVar's) so what does LaVar do? Puts a target on his son's back by bad mouthing every player and over hyping his son for the benefit of himself not his son.  don't do this

5. His middle son Liangelo, is obviously not as talented but has yet to even step on to a college floor when LaVar announces, 'he's probably not good enough to go to the NBA'. How many players have seemed irrelevant entering college and come out at least solid NBA talents after 3-4 years of experience and training. A remark like this from your father would be devastating to a son.  don't do this

6. His youngest son LaMelo plays appalling team basketball, defence and attitude on the court so what does he do? Reprimand his son into playing correctly? No tries to fire the coach and then pulls him from his school, team and education, to 'train LaMelo himself'  don't do this
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:50:46 AM by Redz »

Re: Lavar Ball: a guide on how to not coach your sons
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
This Ball experiment will likely not end well. I cannot remember an NBA player who had an ugly shot like Lonzo’s (besides Shawn Marion) that ever was successful. Lots needs to be taught before these kids can succeed.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:46:10 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This Ball experiment will likely not end well. I cannot remember an NBA player who had an ugly shot like Lonzo’s (besides Shawn Marion) that ever was successful. Lots needs to be taught before these kids can succeed.

Kevin Martin.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Kevin Martin.

I guess my point was it’s rare that players with such awful shooting form become successful

Re: LaVar Ball: a guide on how to not coach your sons
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 01:23:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
genius fathe

Who really thinks this?   I have never heard anyone call him a genius.  Guy is a blowhard.

Re: LaVar Ball: a guide on how to not coach your sons
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 01:27:53 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They traded Russell after 2 seasons. Lol

Re: LaVar Ball: A Guide On How to Not Coach Your Son's
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:51 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Must amend my list now haha

Definitely don't pull your son from a University because he was about to be suspended for theft and somehow make it their fault.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Well, Shawn Marion shot 47% in his rookie year and never looked back so... the proof is in the pudding.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 12:15:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Kevin Martin.
It's still amazing to me how Kevin Martin scored so many points in the NBA. The guy had no left hand, and his shooting motion was from his right hip to his chin.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 02:26:24 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Well, Shawn Marion shot 47% in his rookie year and never looked back so... the proof is in the pudding.

Lonzo is shooting 31%, so yeah.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 06:39:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Ever since Lonzo's year at UCLA, LaVar Ball has been swooned by the media as this super quotable genius father of three who has created these amazing basketball protégées from scratch, but the more you see from the Ball's, the more I see him as a future guide on how to not coach your sons.

1. I know he obviously does care for his family, but it is blatantly obvious he is living vicariously through them in an attempt to achieve things he was never able to do. don't do this

2. If you see Lonzo's game, everything about it is non-fundamental, his shooting motion, his defence, his dribbling ability, free throw motion ect. I actually feel the main reason for Lonzo being an NBA player is his height and his natural born instinct, neither of which were taught. You'd think LaVar being a 'coach' would make sure from an early age that he was fundamentally sound and if you see coaches sons or former NBA players son's their best attributes are their fundamentals. don't allow this

3. LaVar obviously has pushed the idea of making a Ball brand and cost his son his first major payday signing with a brand like Nike or Under Amor and even had the hide to tell a brand that he (not Lonzo) wanted full creative control and 'co-branding'  don't do this

4. Lonzo miraculously makes it to the NBA through his own hard work and dedication (not LaVar's) so what does LaVar do? Puts a target on his son's back by bad mouthing every player and over hyping his son for the benefit of himself not his son.  don't do this

5. His middle son Liangelo, is obviously not as talented but has yet to even step on to a college floor when LaVar announces, 'he's probably not good enough to go to the NBA'. How many players have seemed irrelevant entering college and come out at least solid NBA talents after 3-4 years of experience and training. A remark like this from your father would be devastating to a son.  don't do this

6. His youngest son LaMelo plays appalling team basketball, defence and attitude on the court so what does he do? Reprimand his son into playing correctly? No tries to fire the coach and then pulls him from his school, team and education, to 'train LaMelo himself'  don't do this

While Lavar is loud and antipathic, I'd trust his coaching much more than your opinion.
He will get all of his sons to play college basketball. His oldest is starting for the Lakers at the age of 19. I am pretty sure that is just about every dad's dream scenario.

Hate, not good for your health bro. Cough it out.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: LaVar Ball: A Guide On How to Not Coach Your Sons
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Lavar's coaching ?
You trust a coach who let his player shot like this ?

The guy is a clueless clown..the only thing he knows is how to handle the media but I am not sure if it is in his and his family advantage in the long run

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112

While Lavar is loud and antipathic, I'd trust his coaching much more than your opinion.
He will get all of his sons to play college basketball. His oldest is starting for the Lakers at the age of 19. I am pretty sure that is just about every dad's dream scenario.

Hate, not good for your health bro. Cough it out.

Still feel so full of yourself?  With #1 son being benched,  with #2 son in China jail and now being pulled out of UCLA and with #3 son being pulled out of high school to be home-schooled by asswipe dad?  Its too early to tell anything about any of these jerkoffs but 1 things for sure - its not going to end well.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lonzo is a lefty who's dad tied his left arm behind his back. He has average athleticism by NBA standards. And, his fundementals are poor, taking off wrong footed that kinda thing which throws off his balence. Flooter game is bad, and he is not crafty around the rim. And, sure being 6'6 is nice, but he is not finishing over point guards. When he gets to the rim he still trying to finish around 7 footers and weakside help like everyone else

craziest thing is that he's averaging under 2 FT per game! Like he can't shoot and he can't drive to the basket. He literally doesn't average one shooting foul per game.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Lonzo is severely left eye dominant. His point of aim is in his left eye. It's a term used in the world of pistol and rifle shooting competitions.

It can be corrected by covering the left eye with a patch that reduces vision to 50%. Naturally during off season.

In short order, his shooting hand will begin relying on his right eye to sight its target, and his shooting hand will begin to drift to its normal position. 

I can't believe his world-class trainer/father didn't correct this problem years ago.