Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 49668 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So, better question:

i)  to which franchise does he go to in order to be a more complete villain than Durant?

ii) would you trade LBJ for Scary...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
wasn't he and his wife out there in LA checkimg out high schools for little Bron Jr

His kids have been in the LA school district for around 2 years, I think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2017, 09:11:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
wasn't he and his wife out there in LA checkimg out high schools for little Bron Jr

His kids have been in the LA school district for around 2 years, I think.
I believe that is true, though I'm not sure it is year round.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
My original thinking was that OKC would do very well and George would stay put, which meant Lebron wouldn't go LAL because he'd want to go with another max player as well.

But now OKC struggling and looks like George could actually just walk this summer to Lakers.

OR MAYBE they trade him mid-season to Cleveland and then both LBJ and PG13 go to LAL next summer?  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2017, 11:52:23 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So First Take discussed this with Jalen Rose and David Jacoby as well.

Max and S.A.S think Lebron should definitely consider, but S.A.S. doesn't see it happening, and neither does Jalen Rose and David Jacoby. Max think's it could happen though.

Jalen's main points was that it would make Lebron look bad if he left CLE again for another team w/potential, and that the Sixers are young but "not ready" to contend for championships yet. Also, to acquire Lebron could mean losing Reddick and some bench depth, which isn't ideal since Reddick is a legitimate sharp shooter (and they need to surround the Simmons-James-Embiid core with legit shooters). Also, some concerns about Embiid's injury health still.

It was interesting when Jalen said "Sixers are the 5th best team in the East now in the standings, but you know who the 2nd and 3rd best players in the East are? Kyrie and Greek Freak"  :o

Wow, so Kyrie is the 2nd best in the East. Dang.

And then he said, "do you think Lebron would go to either of those teams (C's, Bucks) since they have the better players" and Stephen A. went OFF on him about suggesting Lebron going to Boston  :laugh:

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This topic heading really hits something that we all need to address.  I think with the quick early success this season, especially during the winning streak, I could see my mind wandering into the fantasy that the Celtics could become, if not soon, maybe in the next year or two, the NEXT GSW, with a chance to run off a string of championships. Given our incredible youth, not an unreasonable fantasy.

The idea of Lebron going to a very good, also very young, Sixer team, kind of crushes that fantasy. It would mean that we would have to fight like heck each year just to make it to the finals.

But isn't that the way it usually works anyway? The GSW are really the exception.  Even the Celtics' 80's teams had to fight through Philly, Detroit, or Milwaukee, to get to the finals, when it was a struggle vs. the Lakers. 

That's reality.

« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think Lakers, along with George and a resigned Lopez.  The problem for the Lakers is that they wasted a lot of salary on Deng and Clarkson.  Clarkson I guess is a useful player but Deng isn't even active on the roster I don't think.

If the Lakers had a core of James-George-Lopez plus the young players and maybe a few other vets added, that could be a pretty good team for a number of years (3-4?).  Maybe Isaiah joins them too.   Everyone would have to take a pay cut though.

« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Lakers, along with George and a resigned Lopez.  The problem for the Lakers is that they wasted a lot of salary on Deng and Clarkson.  Clarkson I guess is a useful player but Deng isn't even active on the roster I don't think.

If the Lakers had a core of James-George-Lopez plus the young players and maybe a few other vets added, that could be a pretty good team for a number of years (3-4?).  Maybe Isaiah joins them too.   Everyone would have to take a pay cut though.

Can they even afford to keep Lopez if they sign LBJ + George??

I highly doubt the guy is going to play for chump change next year either (decent pay cut)...

« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I highly doubt the guy is going to play for chump change next year either (decent pay cut)...

I of course do not know who would sign for what but say all 4 (IT, LJ, PG, BL) all agreed to play for $20M.  Not exactly chump change.   That is $80M.  They need to get Deng off the books but I think that leaves them enough money to fill in a team around the core and be really good.

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I feel like Brook Lopez would take a big pay cut provided he likes living in LA and wants to play on a good team. He will be 30 next season and has played on truly horrific teams for a number of years in a row. He also probably doesn't have the market he would have had 3-4 years back because he has kind of proven that he doesn't really move the needle in terms of wins and losses (he was the best player on the worst team in the league)

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I feel like Brook Lopez would take a big pay cut provided he likes living in LA and wants to play on a good team. He will be 30 next season and has played on truly horrific teams for a number of years in a row. He also probably doesn't have the market he would have had 3-4 years back because he has kind of proven that he doesn't really move the needle in terms of wins and losses (he was the best player on the worst team in the league)
at 30 I doubt he'd take a pay cut considering it's likely his last big contract and he's been healthy for the most part lately (which was the biggest knock against him).

« Reply #86 on: November 30, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

and that team got better when he was traded.  Lopez is kind of like Rudy Gay.  Statistically looks nice, but is just a drain on winning.

That said, I agree he won't have the market he would have, but I also don't think he is going to sign for under market value (whatever that may be).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #87 on: November 30, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

So would Brook Lopez be fine simply signing for the MLE?

Because cap projects to drop a tiny bit and assuming George and Lebron sign for full max each, they won't have any more $$$ left to spend via FA outside of exceptions.

They may even need to get rid of Deng, and at least one of Randle/Clarkson as well to even fit 2 max contracts I believe.

« Reply #88 on: November 30, 2017, 05:55:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

So would Brook Lopez be fine simply signing for the MLE?

Because cap projects to drop a tiny bit and assuming George and Lebron sign for full max each, they won't have any more $$$ left to spend via FA outside of exceptions.

They may even need to get rid of Deng, and at least one of Randle/Clarkson as well to even fit 2 max contracts I believe.

I think the MLE would be pretty fair for him. i don't know that he will get much more than that given his defensive issues, lack of impact on winning and past health issues.

« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2017, 06:02:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Some of you hunt for things to be afraid of.