Poll

How many all stars will the Celtics have?

6 (8.8%)
42 (61.8%)
17 (25%)
2 (2.9%)
5+
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: how many all stars will we have in the all star game? (Poll)  (Read 6044 times)

Re: how many all stars will we have in the all star game? (Poll)
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Coaches tend to reward winning (think Kyle Korver's all star appearance). If the Celtics still have something close to the best record in the East, Al should be a shoo-in with the way he's played and how important to the team he's been.

Again, I think it depends on if the Cs continue to win and players like Jaylen continue to progress. That 60 win Hawks team with 4 all-stars didn't exactly light it up statistically:

Millsap - 16.7 PPG / 7.8 RPG
Teague - 15.9 PPG / 7.0 APG
Horford - 15.2 PPG / 7.2 RPG
Korver - 12.1 PPG / 4.1 RPG

Right now, Jaylen is putting up 15.8 PPG / 6.6 RPG while playing elite level defense. If people want to say that there are more top level players in the East now than in 2014-15, that is a different argument, but with the way the Cs are winning, Tatum is looking like the one that will be 'rewarded' while Jaylen, Al, and Irving are a given.

If we are plugging along when all stars are announced at 30-5 (which is obviously a huge question) it seems there is no way we have 1 all-star. I was briefly thinking that the Spurs only had one all-star one of the years they had a great record (2015-2016), but Aldridge actually made it that year. So two would really be the lowest I think we could go if we keep winning like this.

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Coaches tend to reward winning (think Kyle Korver's all star appearance). If the Celtics still have something close to the best record in the East, Al should be a shoo-in with the way he's played and how important to the team he's been.

Again, I think it depends on if the Cs continue to win and players like Jaylen continue to progress. That 60 win Hawks team with 4 all-stars didn't exactly light it up statistically:

Right now, Jaylen is putting up 15.8 PPG / 6.6 RPG while playing elite level defense. If people want to say that there are more top level players in the East now than in 2014-15, that is a different argument, but with the way the Cs are winning, Tatum is looking like the one that will be 'rewarded' while Jaylen, Al, and Irving are a given.

If we are plugging along when all stars are announced at 30-5 (which is obviously a huge question) it seems there is no way we have 1 all-star. I was briefly thinking that the Spurs only had one all-star one of the years they had a great record (2015-2016), but Aldridge actually made it that year. So two would really be the lowest I think we could go if we keep winning like this.
After game 35, the Spurs were 28-7 last year and only had 1 all star.  Houston was 26-9 and also only had 1 all star. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

After game 35, the Spurs were 28-7 last year and only had 1 all star.  Houston was 26-9 and also only had 1 all star.

Loaded West plus no one on those teams playing at the level of Horford as a 2nd star. 

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Korver made the All Star team that year? C'mon.

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I guess I should qualify my statement then if a team has the best record in their conference (especially by a decent margin) Last year at the break are talking about the team with the second and third best record there (warriors were number 1). If we were 25-9 and had the second or third best record than I actually think we Don't get a 2nd or 3rd all-star. Right now we have the best record by 3.5 games.

Last year is probably an example of this also for the Celtics. They were 23-15 or something like that and had a worse record than the Cavs. If had been 29-11 or whatever and were 5 games up on the Cavs we probably would have gotten someone else in.

Are there any times where a team had the best record in their conference by 5 games or more at the all-star break and only got one all-star? I could be wrong on this and that would change my opinion on this, but it doesn't seem to be something I recall happening much...

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Loaded West plus no one on those teams playing at the level of Horford as a 2nd star.
Last year Aldridge averaged 17/7/2 in 32 mpg.  That isn't a whole lot different than Horford. 

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Korver made the All Star team that year? C'mon.

He was an injury replacement, selected by neither the fans nor the coaches.

The Hawks were on a 65 win pace, 6.5 games up on the next closest EC team.

All-Star lock Paul George was out for practically the season.
Prior year All-Star DeMar DeRozan missed 21 games before the All-Star game.
All-Star hopeful Kemba Walker was injured when All-Star reserve selections were made.
Derrick Rose showing he was never getting back to pre-injury form.
Kevin Love and Cleveland were underwhelming.

The East had only 5 teams finish the year with a record above .500.

It took a lot to go right for Atlanta to get those 4 All-Stars.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I guess I should qualify my statement then if a team has the best record in their conference (especially by a decent margin) Last year at the break are talking about the team with the second and third best record there (warriors were number 1). If we were 25-9 and had the second or third best record than I actually think we Don't get a 2nd or 3rd all-star. Right now we have the best record by 3.5 games.

Last year is probably an example of this also for the Celtics. They were 23-15 or something like that and had a worse record than the Cavs. If had been 29-11 or whatever and were 5 games up on the Cavs we probably would have gotten someone else in.

Are there any times where a team had the best record in their conference by 5 games or more at the all-star break and only got one all-star? I could be wrong on this and that would change my opinion on this, but it doesn't seem to be something I recall happening much...

Yeah, I mean the Warriors are raining on everybody's All-Star parade right now. When one team gets 1/3 of a conference's All-Stars, this really limits the remaining representatives - especially in a star-studded Western Conference.

This really is all contingent on the Cs running away with the EC. If they are just 1st, but not amazingly 1st, Irving and Al will make it. If they are blowing everybody else away, Jaylen will also get the nod (as long as he doesn't fall off). That's just how it works.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:51:11 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

In 09/10 only James made the all star team from the eventual 61-21 Cavs.  I don't know if Cleveland was the 1 seed at the break, but they were the only 60+ win team in all of basketball that year. Orlando was next closest at 59 wins and they like Cleveland only had 1 all star (Dwight).  Dallas (the 2nd best team in the west that year) only had Dirk "make" the team.  Kidd replaced Kobe giving Dallas 2 and only Pau played from the Lakers who were the top seed in the west (as a result of the Kobe injury). 

I have no idea how frequently it happens, but James' first stint in Cleveland seemed like a good place to look and it didn't take long to find an example (probably 2 actually since Cleveland and Orlando were both high win teams with just 1 all star). 

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
2 in the all star game.  Then 1 in slam dunk & 1 in rookie game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

In 09/10 only James made the all star team from the eventual 61-21 Cavs.  I don't know if Cleveland was the 1 seed at the break, but they were the only 60+ win team in all of basketball that year. Orlando was next closest at 59 wins and they like Cleveland only had 1 all star (Dwight).  Dallas (the 2nd best team in the west that year) only had Dirk "make" the team.  Kidd replaced Kobe giving Dallas 2 and only Pau played from the Lakers who were the top seed in the west (as a result of the Kobe injury). 

I have no idea how frequently it happens, but James' first stint in Cleveland seemed like a good place to look and it didn't take long to find an example (probably 2 actually since Cleveland and Orlando were both high win teams with just 1 all star).

You are talking about it happening once 7 years ago on a team that probably had the MVP (Orlando being in 2nd is pretty irrelevant based on what we are talking about here). Considering James was the most dominant player in the game that year and an all-time great this kind of underscores the point. Thank you.

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The 13/14 Spurs won the NBA championship and were the only 60+ win team (62).  They only had Parker make the all star team. 

This notion that the best team has to have multiple all stars is just silly.  Sure it happens all the time because the best team is often the best team because they have great players, but it certainly isn't some given.

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
In fact the Spurs have had it happen a fair amount with many seasons where just Duncan, Parker, or Leonard was the lone all star.

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Barring injuries, who is in?

Shoe-ins: Lebron, Giannis, Kristaps, Derozan, and Kyrie

Probable: Wall, Beal, Drummond, Horford, Embiid, Simmons

That's 11. That leaves two spots for this list: Walker, Oladipo, Harris, Jackson, Schroeder, Russel, Fournier, Vucevic, Dragic, Whiteside, Love, Gordon, Bledsoe, Lowry, Howard, Tatum, Brown.

That's a lot of good players. Depending on how you do criteria, it is possible (though unlikely) to find a path for one of our young guys. For instance, if the Hornets, Hawks, Heat, and Nets are below .500, that removes their guys and leaves Oladipo, Harris, Jackson, Fournier, Vucevic, Gordon, Love, Bledsoe, Lowry, Tatum, and Brown.

If the Magic continue to come down to earth after a hot start, that probably removes their guys.

Then you are down to Oladipo, Harris, Jackson, Love, Bledsoe, Lowry, Brown, and Tatum. I think Oladipo gets his first all-star bid if the Pacers are over .500.

Although the Pistons have been good so far, I don't think they will end up being good enough to get a second all-star in the game. I think you could say the same thing about the Bucks with Bledsoe, particularly because he came part-way through the year. That leaves Love, Lowry, Brown, and Tatum.

It would be tough at that point for Brown to get in over Love and Lowry. If we continue to be dominant and Brown has a few more big games, all while Cleveland stayed under .500, you could make the argument for it. But Love and Lowry are both still in their prime and playing for a top team in our conference. It'd be tough to give a 3rd all-star spot to a Celtic before giving a 2nd to a Raptor or Cav.

All of that being said, pretty much every year there are 1-2 injured guys who would be all-stars, which opens up a spot or two. I think Brown has a good shot at being an alternate, but will likely just miss.

But I still voted 3 :)

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The 13/14 Spurs won the NBA championship and were the only 60+ win team (62).  They only had Parker make the all star team. 

This notion that the best team has to have multiple all stars is just silly.  Sure it happens all the time because the best team is often the best team because they have great players, but it certainly isn't some given.

Again you are coming with examples which are not what I am talking about. The Thunder were 37-11 in 2014 when the all stars were announced. The spurs had a worst record at 37-13. Neither team was dominating the conference. 

I am already acknowledged to you that if the Celtics don't have the best record by a substantial margin I don't think we will get extra all-stars. However, we have seen time and time again that when a team is running away with their conference and the all-stars are announced they are rewarded for it. The Hawks from a few years ago are a very clear example of this. Thompson has gotten in when some other players had better numbers than him cause the Warriors were dominating the regular season. This isn't ground breaking and you have picked a strange hill to die on. 

You have come up with one example of this from 8 seasons ago where the all star was one of the greatest to ever play the game and was dominating the league. Maybe there is one other time of this in the past 10 seasons

Its extremely uncommon and hardly a silly notion.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:16:25 PM by celticsclay »