Poll

How many all stars will the Celtics have?

6 (8.8%)
42 (61.8%)
17 (25%)
2 (2.9%)
5+
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: how many all stars will we have in the all star game? (Poll)  (Read 6033 times)

Re: how many all stars will we have in the all star game? (Poll)
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Kyrie , Al and Brown .

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
2; Unless Brown gets his scoring average up to 20 ppg, which he can do if he hits his free throws!!

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I guess I would trade Jaylen for Giannis.. But jesus ****.. Get with the times,  you have to be able to shoot. Remarkably,  Jaylen shoots good..  Maybe really good.

It's why I trust Americans over Mexicans. Just more trustworthy with morally sound shooting..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Kyrie for sure and then probably Horford as well due to the dearth of big men.  Brown and Tatum, however deserving they may end up being, are just not well known enough.  I suppose the  players/media vote will help with the voting potentially and then of course the coaches can make selections.  Isn't Stevens going to be a coach?

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Barring injury, these seem like locks for the all star game

G - DeRozan, Irving, Walker, Wall, Beal
F - LBJ, Giannis, Porzingis, Embiid, Simmons

That leaves 2 spots for any other Celtics, along with guys like Drummond, Harris, Lowry, Oladipo, Love, Fournier, Gordon, Dragic, Whiteside, Schroder, etc.

I'm just not sure the coaches will put Horford on the team given who else it out there.  The odds of Brown making it are almost 0, especially with him being a guard (only 4 to 6 guards can make the team, while 6 to 8 forwards can).  My guess right now is Love and Oladipo are the last 2, but a lot can change before the voting.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

That leaves 2 spots for any other Celtics, along with guys like Drummond, Harris, Lowry, Oladipo, Love, Fournier, Gordon, Dragic, Whiteside, Schroder, etc.

I'm just not sure the coaches will put Horford on the team given who else it out there.  The odds of Brown making it are almost 0, especially with him being a guard (only 4 to 6 guards can make the team, while 6 to 8 forwards can).  My guess right now is Love and Oladipo are the last 2, but a lot can change before the voting.

Don't see two sixers making the team (let alone seeing two sixers healthy by that time)

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Coaches will not put Simmons on the All-Star team ahead of Horford. Horford has been the more deserving player and is on the team with the best record (currently). Simmons will have his day, but not yet.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If we keep winning like this until the voting ends, we will get two All Stars, Kyrie and probably Al Horford.

It's too bad the All Star roster only has 12; they should expand it to 15.

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Coaches will not put Simmons on the All-Star team ahead of Horford. Horford has been the more deserving player and is on the team with the best record (currently). Simmons will have his day, but not yet.
It is far too hard to ignore Simmons numbers though, and it isn't like the Sixers are a bad team.  I just don't see the guy that is currently averaging 18.1 p, 9.1 r, 8.0 a, and 1.9 s, not being on the all star team.  He is shooting over 52% and the advanced metrics, even the defensive ones, actually like him a lot.  Horford does a lot of the little things, but statistically just doesn't measure up at just 14.9 p, 8.8 r, and 4.5 a.  Simmons has been the more impactful player this year. 

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It is far too hard to ignore Simmons numbers though, and it isn't like the Sixers are a bad team.  I just don't see the guy that is currently averaging 18.1 p, 9.1 r, 8.0 a, and 1.9 s, not being on the all star team.  He is shooting over 52% and the advanced metrics, even the defensive ones, actually like him a lot.  Horford does a lot of the little things, but statistically just doesn't measure up at just 14.9 p, 8.8 r, and 4.5 a.  Simmons has been the more impactful player this year. 

Sure, if you believe raw stats tell the whole story. But we all know that isn't true, and anyone who watches the games can see that Horford has the bigger impact on winning right now. Horford does more, especially on the defensive side of the ball, to put his team in the best position to win games.

Horford will be an All-Star this year, I have no doubts.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
ALL STAR AL

will not be denied this year.  not the way he is orchestrating a generationally good defense, and knocking down the three.  you can make the argument only Porzingis is playing better, but it’s still a worthy debate because of how well Horford plays pick/roll on both sides of the ball. 

Simmons maybe an all star also, but at ALL STAR AL’s expense. 

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 11:29:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure, if you believe raw stats tell the whole story. But we all know that isn't true, and anyone who watches the games can see that Horford has the bigger impact on winning right now. Horford does more, especially on the defensive side of the ball, to put his team in the best position to win games.

Horford will be an All-Star this year, I have no doubts.
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it, I just don't think it is a guarantee, because statistically he doesn't measure up.  Boston also won the 2 games he was out so the winning train just continued right on like he didn't matter.

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Coaches tend to reward winning (think Kyle Korver's all star appearance). If the Celtics still have something close to the best record in the East, Al should be a shoo-in with the way he's played and how important to the team he's been.

As for Jaylen, I think Kyrie, Kemba Walker, Demar Derozan, John Wall, Brad Beal, Victor Oladipo, and Goran Dragic are all guards who are obviously ahead of him. And Ben Simmons probably would be as well if he's submitted as a guard. I don't see it for Jaylen this year unless he turns his last 2 performances into regular nights here on out.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Coaches tend to reward winning (think Kyle Korver's all star appearance). If the Celtics still have something close to the best record in the East, Al should be a shoo-in with the way he's played and how important to the team he's been.

Again, I think it depends on if the Cs continue to win and players like Jaylen continue to progress. That 60 win Hawks team with 4 all-stars didn't exactly light it up statistically:

Millsap - 16.7 PPG / 7.8 RPG
Teague - 15.9 PPG / 7.0 APG
Horford - 15.2 PPG / 7.2 RPG
Korver - 12.1 PPG / 4.1 RPG

Right now, Jaylen is putting up 15.8 PPG / 6.6 RPG while playing elite level defense. If people want to say that there are more top level players in the East now than in 2014-15, that is a different argument, but with the way the Cs are winning, Tatum is looking like the one that will be 'rewarded' while Jaylen, Al, and Irving are a given.

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »

Offline GregKitesMom

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 4
Kyrie and Al