Author Topic: Going small doesn't always work  (Read 2147 times)

Re: Going small doesn't always work
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Ok I understand the comparison between an older player and younger player and I agree.

Here's the question. Has he shown you he can handle stepping in for Hayward up to this point? Did you expect it? I think leading the NBA in 3pt % as a rookie tells me he may be able to handle more. Right now we're relying on Theis, Semi, Larkin and Yabu to produce more and they are the ones that probably aren't ready to give more.

We have nowhere else to go for buckets and this is why we're losing leads. Give him more and see if he can handle more, it's basketball, it's not making dinner for Wyc. I'm not saying he should be going for 30 points but what other options do we have? This is all part of development and he and Brown have answered the bell so far. This NBA rookie class is playing better than some vets.

I cringe when Smart starts taking too many shots. Rozier is good if he's hitting early...if not, he struggles for the entire game.
You're not crazy.  Much of our bench are either bad offensive players or at best, not and cold.  Tatum is oozing potential and it just makes sense that he should be the lead dog.  But BS isn't calling plays on every possession.  The natural hierarchy is in play, and these are the results.

Beyond that, I think Tatum's efficiency would take a major hit if he forced the issue.  I know he's talented, and firmly believe he's a future all star.  But I don't think he's ready just yet, even to lead the bench.

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Horford is a minus 13 and people blame the bench.
We need Baynes in the fourth quarter.

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The thing Tatum was best known for coming out of college was creating his own shot in the mid-range. I realize NBA defenses are different, but what we are seeing from him (knock-down 3-pt shooter and dunking on big men) are actually pleasant surprises in addition to his Marcus Morris-like skill.

I'm of the opinion that the problem with Tatum is that he isn't assertive enough [yet] not that he couldn't lead at least the 2nd unit while maintaining a decent efficiency. I do want him continuing to start, though - even if for just a few minutes before Smart comes in. I like the fact that he may never come off the bench in his career once (and this was the case even with Hayward).

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 07:09:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'm of the opinion that the problem with Tatum is that he isn't assertive enough [yet] not that he couldn't lead at least the 2nd unit while maintaining a decent efficiency.

I concur with this statement, TP.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
TIME TO PANIC

We lost to the HEAT (missing their top 4 players). We lost to the Knicks (missing KP and Hardaway Jr). Both games a guy goes off for 32 points.

Ok, for one Kyrie's shot attempts are going up very fast and his shot selection seems to be getting worse. This isn't a good sign.

It's obvious Tatum isn't going to get more shots even when Morris and Brown are down. I don't understand it but we have several other problems that need addressing. Our defense has dropped very quickly and Kyrie and Horford can't cover a chair. Our rebounding is atrocious.

Ainge, time to make some moves.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 09:45:33 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It feels like this is satire. Is this satire?

TIME TO PANIC

We lost to the HEAT (missing their top 4 players). We lost to the Knicks (missing KP and Hardaway Jr). Both games a guy goes off for 32 points.

Ok, for one Kyrie's shot attempts are going up very fast and his shot selection seems to be getting worse. This isn't a good sign.

It's obvious Tatum isn't going to get more shots even when Morris and Brown are down. I don't understand it but we have several other problems that need addressing. Our defense has dropped very quickly and Kyrie and Horford can't cover a chair. Our rebounding is atrocious.

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It feels like this is satire. Is this satire?

TIME TO PANIC

lol

These last 9 games or so have been a tough stretch but the C's still have the best record in the East after losing one of their top players in the first game. Calm down.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008