Author Topic: Would anyone trade Brown for Ingram now?  (Read 4701 times)

Re: Would anyone trade Brown for Ingram now?
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Have loved Jaylen since we got to see his potential when he started last year for Bradley for those 10 games or so. I think he has a ceiling of being a Kawhi Leonard/Jimmy Butler hybrid all-star and top ten player in the league.

I just don't see Ingram having that potential due to his lackluster defensive intensity and really thin frame. So I will keep Brown, thank you.

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
No, I would not trade Brown for Ingram right now. But that has much to do with me liking Brown’s personality as it does his play.  From a who will be the better player for a decade point of view, I’d probably take Brown, but I think the difference is close enough that I could go either way.

It’s mostly Brown’s poise that puts me over the edge, not anything inherent with their physical abilities (which are both terrific).

I'm surprised at your answer. I will grant Ingram is 11 months younger, and he is posting nearly identical offensive output, albeit for a 6-9 team.

Brown is doing the same for a 14-2 team. Where they are different is that Brown has been fearless against the best competition in the league, plays with a a ferocious intensity, and is one of the best defenders in the NBA. He also clearly looks like a leader.

Neither player is close to a finished product, but right now, it doesn't seem that close to me.

11 months is a lot of time, and that’s pretty much my point.  Ingram this year looks better than Jaylen did last year, when their ages were more comparable.  If you’re talking about trading one for the other, and are only looking at this year, Jaylen, all day.  But if you’re thinking about who do you want over the course of their careers, I think it’s a toss up at this point.

So should we be comparing Ingram to Tatum?

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 09:14:41 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Going into the draft last year I was terribly disappointed that we ended up with the #3 pick in what I was confident was a clear top two player (Simmons & Ingram) draft.  A year later I think the only conversation should be "who would you want, Simmons or Brown".  Ingram may be more offensively gifted than Jaylen but I do not think that anyone in last years draft has the heart and determination of Jaylen Brown.  Jaylen is physical beast with a stone cold killer heart.  I will take him over Ingram in a heart beat.  We got lucky on this one.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 10:05:33 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Kind of agree with the idea that Brown's attitude and energy has pushed him ahead of Ingram and into a tie with Simmons

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 10:27:10 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
You don't trade a cobra(Brown) for a praying mantis(Ingram)

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 11:03:34 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Push.

It's worth noting that Brandon Ingram's defense actually rates as quite good this year - considerably ahead of his offense.  So while I would take Brown over Ingram as a defensive player (and I think it'll stay that way), it's not a blowout. 

Similarly, I'd take Ingram over Brown in terms of offensive potential, but it's not a blowout.  A lot of Ingram's projection makes the assumption that he eventually becomes a good shooter, which he currently is not - struggles both from three and from the line.  It may be fair to say that Ingram's greater responsibility in his offense depresses his stats, while Brown (thanks to superior surrounding talent and a superior coach) is generally allowed to stick to his strengths. 

I like both players, and I think it's a very even comparison overall.

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 11:10:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think everyone was pretty legit in this thread. Good job everyone. Cheers