Author Topic: Would anyone trade Brown for Ingram now?  (Read 4707 times)

Would anyone trade Brown for Ingram now?
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ingram has had a few nice moments this year, and I get they are both really young, but it is pretty tough to imagine that Brown doesn't have the better career based on the tools he has shown. What does everyone else think...

Re: Would anyone trade Brown for Ingram now?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ingram is a joke. Bad defender, weak body. Looks like he lost weight from last year somehow. Shot is very inefficient. Also is predictable when driving he doesn't use his left hand I think. I read Lakers  forums some fans want to get rid of him
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 02:32:48 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No, I would not trade Brown for Ingram right now. But that has much to do with me liking Brown’s personality as it does his play.  From a who will be the better player for a decade point of view, I’d probably take Brown, but I think the difference is close enough that I could go either way.

It’s mostly Brown’s poise that puts me over the edge, not anything inherent with their physical abilities (which are both terrific).

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yes.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 02:42:21 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Hell no.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 02:52:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
The Lakers would.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 02:57:07 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
No, I would not trade Brown for Ingram right now. But that has much to do with me liking Brown’s personality as it does his play.  From a who will be the better player for a decade point of view, I’d probably take Brown, but I think the difference is close enough that I could go either way.

It’s mostly Brown’s poise that puts me over the edge, not anything inherent with their physical abilities (which are both terrific).

I'm surprised at your answer. I will grant Ingram is 11 months younger, and he is posting nearly identical offensive output, albeit for a 6-9 team.

Brown is doing the same for a 14-2 team. Where they are different is that Brown has been fearless against the best competition in the league, plays with a a ferocious intensity, and is one of the best defenders in the NBA. He also clearly looks like a leader.

Neither player is close to a finished product, but right now, it doesn't seem that close to me.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Love Brown, loved him since the draft where I wanted them to take him based off him having the highest potential n the board. Ingraham is like 11 months younger and has shown some flashes but I'd still take Brown if given the choice. That defense last night was unreal.  Not many guys can steal the ball from Steph AND block a Durant jumper.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I'm surprised at your answer. I will grant Ingram is 11 months younger, and he is posting nearly identical offensive output, albeit for a 6-9 team.

Brown is doing the same for a 14-2 team. Where they are different is that Brown has been fearless against the best competition in the league, plays with a a ferocious intensity, and is one of the best defenders in the NBA. He also clearly looks like a leader.

Neither player is close to a finished product, but right now, it doesn't seem that close to me.

11 months is a lot of time, and that’s pretty much my point.  Ingram this year looks better than Jaylen did last year, when their ages were more comparable.  If you’re talking about trading one for the other, and are only looking at this year, Jaylen, all day.  But if you’re thinking about who do you want over the course of their careers, I think it’s a toss up at this point.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 03:12:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

11 months is a lot of time, and that’s pretty much my point.  Ingram this year looks better than Jaylen did last year, when their ages were more comparable.  If you’re talking about trading one for the other, and are only looking at this year, Jaylen, all day.  But if you’re thinking about who do you want over the course of their careers, I think it’s a toss up at this point.
I think calling it a toss up is being a little kind of Brown.  Not a lot, but a little.  Ingram in my mind still projects as the better player long term.  He has higher skill level, is very long (albeit skinny long), and as already stated, is younger. 

I would not put that much stock in the performance of the teams; Jaylen starts and gets plenty of minutes.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Brown’s physicality and his mindset – his Marcus Smart like determination to win against the best on the biggest stage – is pretty hard to replicate.  I don’t know if Ingram has the same determination.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 03:20:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I think calling it a toss up is being a little kind of Brown.  Not a lot, but a little.  Ingram in my mind still projects as the better player long term.  He has higher skill level, is very long (albeit skinny long), and as already stated, is younger. 

I would not put that much stock in the performance of the teams; Jaylen starts and gets plenty of minutes.

Guess it depends on your definition of a tossup.  Mine is that it’s close enough for there to be no incentive to make the trade, but also I’d be fine with a deal if it happened (aside from the fact that I’ve liked Jaylen a ton personality-wise, since before he was drafted.  That would sting).

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Love Brown, loved him since the draft where I wanted them to take him based off him having the highest potential n the board. Ingraham is like 11 months younger and has shown some flashes but I'd still take Brown if given the choice. That defense last night was unreal.  Not many guys can steal the ball from Steph AND block a Durant jumper.

Jaylen was a huge reason that Klay had a terrible shooting night, and the only open looks Durant got was when Jaylen was well screened.  He blanketed KD last night.  He hounded DeRozan the other night.  He's just been an absolute beast all season defensively.  I said the night before the draft, this kid's ceiling is hyper athletic Kwahi Leonard, and could potentially be one of the best two way players in the league one day.  Its only year two.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ingram is a joke. Bad defender, weak body. Looks like he lost weight from last year somehow. Shot is very inefficient. Also is predictable when driving he doesn't use his left hand I think. I read Lakers  forums some fans want to get rid of him
Absurd. Ingram is a very nice prospect who wont turn 21 untill next September.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 03:47:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ask me in about 10 years.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team