Author Topic: Are there small moves to make that can elevate the offense?  (Read 2416 times)

Are there small moves to make that can elevate the offense?
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
It has been incredible to watch such a transcendent defense, unreal!

With that said, we're sitting at 19th on the offensive end and last night's game was ugly. I suspect that this will be a bigger issue if it doesn't change before the postseason. Now the loss of Gordon plays a big role in this, some of it can be worked out organically, but are the any small trades to make? We have so much in house potential on offense, but i still think we need a top flight bench scorer. We cannot let the bench shoot us out of games.

So what shooter/scorers would you like to see us add, something in the vein of the someone the Rockets would utilize?

Re: Are there small moves to make that can elevate the offense?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 01:09:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not that I want to, but I could see Marcus Smart being traded for a better offensive player.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
$8.5 mill DPE to spend. Danny most likely waiting on a good player, maybe ring chasing veteran being cut so he can flash the money.  We are in no hurry

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We returned 4 players from last year.  That means every lineup is new.  Compounding that, the pre-season was shorter, and they had to throw out a lot of the work done in the preseason when Hayward went down.  And due to the Celtics schedule so far with one day off between every game they have only had two practices.  So all of the work in terms of getting on the same page has to come in actual games.

I expect the offense to naturally improve as they continue to gain more familiarity with different lineups.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
I wish the Clippers didn't have Lou Williams, i'd love to get him here.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We returned 4 players from last year.  That means every lineup is new.  Compounding that, the pre-season was shorter, and they had to throw out a lot of the work done in the preseason when Hayward went down.  And due to the Celtics schedule so far with one day off between every game they have only had two practices.  So all of the work in terms of getting on the same page has to come in actual games.

I expect the offense to naturally improve as they continue to gain more familiarity with different lineups.

I'm with you on this.  I think we should avoid bringing in anyone unless this team is still faltering on offense near the All-Star break.  Any scorer would need to be a two-way player.  One of the reasons our defense has been amazing is because every rotational player has impacted that end of the floor. 

I also think Irving is due to break out from beyond the arc.  His perimeter shooting has been uncharacteristically poor.   

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The best (and most likely) way the Celtics offense elevates are:

1)  Tatum learns to play NBA level offense within the system.

2)  Irving learns the complete system.

3)  Stevens figures out all his new players and makes the adjustments to the system to make the offense better.

Three things we should expect to happen naturally as the season goes forward.   

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celtics need to target a 3 pt sharpshooter that is not a liability on D

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I wish the Clippers didn't have Lou Williams, i'd love to get him here.

Lou Williams has been the 3rd worst defender at SG this season according to DRPM.  He also ranked in the bottom 3rd last season.  He's an excellent scorer but I don't think he impacts winning enough to earn major minutes in our rotation.  For every game that his scoring helped us win, there would probably be 3 where he struggled to make an impact.

If he was a more efficient scorer then it might be a better fit.  I think he's a classic example of a volume scorer.  He needs a lot of shot attempts to get into a rhythm.

Who knows though.  Maybe Brad would mitigate his defensive shortcomings. 

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:55:36 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Great topic!  What's interesting is that I think Gordon Hayward is a great solution to this problem, so we (inevitably) have the solution.

But to me the small moves should come from this existing roster, and not necessarily from the MLE since it's such a crap-shoot.  Here is how I think we can elevate our roster:

-Mix up the substitutions a bit.  I'd love to see Kyrie leave the starting roster 2-min early and then come back off the bench 2-minutes ahead of the starters.  He plays well alongside the larger pick setters (Baynes, Morris, etc.) and has no problems going 1 on 1, so this seems like an obvious fit.

-Attack the hoop.  The FT disparity last night was b/c the Celtics kept attacking the hoop.  Jaylen and Tatum especially need to be attacking.

-Get better at Offense.  Normally this would be a silly thing to suggest, but we have some really young players who with practice & attention can actually make jumps in their offensive games this year.  One such area of improvement is finishing around the rim.  Jaylen & Marcus need to develop a good head fake and proper footwork to get enough space to have an easy layup. 

-Limit the shooting of poor shooters.  I think this starts with Marcus Smart.  He shouldn't be shooting 8 shots a game unless they are offensive rebound put backs or fast break layups.  I'd also like to see Morris shoot where he is most comfortable... he seems to take some overly difficult shots.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just making more shots is going to help. Marcus Smart and Kyrie Irving are bound to regress up to the mean of their normal averages. That, right there, would add 3-4 points a game.

I think Terry Rozier has the potential to keep upping his percentages as well. I'm maybe one of the few left that thinks that Marcus has the potential to have a normal shooting average (40%, 33%, and 75%). The development of these two would add another 2-3 points a game.

Combine that with Brown and Tatum's continued development, and CBS finding rotations where the offense doesn't dip as much, and we'd look a lot better on offense.

I think internal development is the key right now. Finding an offensive player who can also play versatile defense is difficult. Getting an offense-only player (Lou Williams, for example) would throw our entire scheme out of whack.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We won ugly last night but a win is a win.   You're going to have off nights but our D made up for it.

I would take a good look at shot selection if I was Brad.  Sometimes we take bad shots early in the shot clock.   I would only let certain guys make those heat check shots.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 04:47:06 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Like see Luol Deng bought out by Lakers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Like see Luol Deng bought out by Lakers

So would the Lakers.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Celtics need to target a 3 pt sharpshooter that is not a liability on D

So does 29 other teams.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan