Author Topic: The 'refs bailed out the Celtics' and other excuses why we keep winning thread  (Read 5985 times)

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
I think overall we got more calls then we should have, but there have also been games during this streak where it went the other way. All you can do is play the game as its called, and we've won 14 straight despite some uneven officiating and injury misfortune.

That being said its a good lesson for fans on this blog about what they sound like when they start complaining abut the refs.

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
As inspired by David Letterman...

Top 10 excuses for why we keep winning:

10. Opponents keep falling for that “Look out behind you!” trick.
9. We know where all the cracks in the parquet are.
8. Other team eats the catering from the Garden food stands.
7. It’s Obama’s fault.
6. The opposing team is intimidated by my good looks when I’m in the crowd.
5. Always mistake Brad Stevens for somebody’s teenage son.
4. They don’t fiddle and diddle.
3. We have leprechauns.
2. Belichick steals signals and relays them to CBS.
And the #1 excuse for our 14-game winning streak…

We’re better than they are.

Mike

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Walter lets the air out of the game ball .... :)

Pretty much ...Global warming is on the Celtics side.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
GS state only has to look in the mirror and see their shooting percentages to know why they lost.   The most powerful offense was tamed by the most powerful defense!

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
As inspired by David Letterman...

Top 10 excuses for why we keep winning:

10. Opponents keep falling for that “Look out behind you!” trick.
9. We know where all the cracks in the parquet are.
8. Other team eats the catering from the Garden food stands.
7. It’s Obama’s fault.
6. The opposing team is intimidated by my good looks when I’m in the crowd.
5. Always mistake Brad Stevens for somebody’s teenage son.
4. They don’t fiddle and diddle.
3. We have leprechauns.
2. Belichick steals signals and relays them to CBS.
And the #1 excuse for our 14-game winning streak…

We’re better than they are.

Mike

https://youtu.be/puLg7WaaN4Y

Ana Kasparian, is that you?! 😂 (JK by the way. I just couldn't pass up a chance to make fun of the Young Turks.)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think context is important to every win.

1. Klay and Steph shot awfully. A lot of this was due to our physical defense and their foul trouble, but still. Those guys are the GOAT shooters, they had big off-days. Not super-likely to happen with regularity.

2. Officiating was bad and largely in our favor. Brown block on Klay was absurd. Some of the fouls down the stretch were really really soft. Like Smart foul on Butler type soft.

3. Officiating went both ways. Not 100% pro Boston. Klay had an obvious goaltend and Draymond got free throws on a pass. I also thought there was a sketchy offensive foul on Tatum and a blocking foul on Marcus that looked like a charge to me.

4. Kyrie also had an off-day. Just like Curry and Klay were bothered by defense, Kyrie was too. Just like Steph and Klay, Kyrie is still better than he actually shot. Missed a bunch of really makeable shots and even if you D him up the way GS did, he was uncharacteristically bad until the last 5 minutes.

We HAVE been lucky on this stretch. Teams are shooting worse against us than our defense deserves. We are squeaking out some lucky wins and this record in tight games is unsustainable.

However, the "havent played anybody line" which was absolutely appropriate through the first 8 or so games is bogus now.

Golden State, Toronto without Irving, and OKC. Those are 3 big wins.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
"They weren´t playing serious"

So many Warrios fans.

Oh boy.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Brown block on Klay was absurd.

I wouldn't call it that. Brown got ball with his fingers.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Brown block on Klay was absurd.

I wouldn't call it that. Brown got ball with his fingers.

That the one where he went to block from behind, fingertips grazed the ball while getting mostly arm with Brown's right hand, and his left hand was holding Klay's left shoulder?

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1219
I don't understand complaining about that Kyrie foul though because Horford was uncontested and tipped it in. That would have happened whether the whistle blew or not.

In physical games, you can always point to a million different plays that could have gone one way or another.

TP for this. Horford was right behind and had an uncontested putback when Kyrie drove to the hoop. 2 or 3 guys collapsed on him as he drove by which left Al being all alone for the follow up.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I just checked the NBA two minute report and the foul on Kyrie at 14 seconds was a "CORRECT CALL"

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/11/L2M-GSW-BOS-11-16-2017.pdf

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I watched the game again today carefully.
Thompson could not cover Kyrie.
Smart created chaos on the defensive end.
It was not the refs.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
they shot poor , cause unlike 75 % of NBA teams Celtics play hard nose defense for 4 quarters .

You shoot bad when the pressure is on 48 minutes.

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I can't say that the post game dialogue was "dominated" by the foul disparity.

I will say, obviously, the game was defensive struggle. Watch it again, the Warrior's defense was superb. The Celtics were ineffective from the field as the Warrior's D was tight. So many Celtics shots came with the clock expiring.

The Celtic's bench could do little against the Warrior's bench, Kerr used his "size" players really well and Stevens matched him man for man, but, C's bench struggled mightily.

It really was a playoff game.

This game was essentially the top offensive team in the NBA versus the top defensive team. In a high pitched playoff atmosphere, the defensive team on their court should have a slight advantage.

I feel that Stevens is a better coach that Kerr by a sliver.
The Warriors have a very talented team that is borderline historic in it's quality.

The Warriors were "supposed" to win last night. That is a heavy load against a top defensive team on their home court. 

The two team's benches do not matchup well. The Warrior's have size and execute their defense at a high level. The Celtic's bench didn't have answers except for when Tatum finally started to commit.

Yea, the Celtics got a lot of foul calls and this related directly to one drive to the hoop after another...which made sense as they hit a barn from outside.

As fans we can be very confident about these.

Our team is not reliant on:
A streaky outside shooter having a big night.
Raining down record numbers of three point attempts.
Playing over their heads against more talented teams. (Yes, that was last year)

The Celtics players have fully bought in on defense. They are big enough and yes, young enough and athletic enough to maintain defensive pressure for four quarters.

Offensive teams can have an off night and are challenged against top defensive teams.
A great defensive team helps you weather a 31% shooting night and in high pressure, big money games? Has the advantage.

Online jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
"They weren´t playing serious"

So many Warrios fans.

Oh boy.

Yeah, sure  ::)

National tv game against the best [current] team in the NBA coming in on a 13 game win streak. If there was ever a regular season game GSW wanted to win, it was this one. That's what makes this win that much more impressive. It's not like we caught them off guard like Detroit or Memphis may have - they were ready for us (Kerr even commented on it) - and they still couldn't pull it out. Bummer for GSW - sorry guys!!