Author Topic: The 'refs bailed out the Celtics' and other excuses why we keep winning thread  (Read 6022 times)

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
The narrative today is driving me insane. The refs bailed us out, the free throw disparity was almost double between the Celtics and Warriors blah blah blah.
I agree Kyries end of game foul should not have been called, however why are we hearing so much about the refs and not how we held the Warriors to 88 POINTS! How we held Steph and Klay to 22 points COMBINED?!?
Maybe the disparity is because the Celtics are a driving team and the Warriors are a shooting team, obviously free throws will favor those who drive to the hoop.

I think it's time we keep a running list of excuses why the Celtics keep winning.

In addition to the refs bailing us out here are some of my other favorites so far this season:

"soft schedule"
"no significant road wins"
"we beat the spurs because of no Kawhi"
"The young guys won't be able to last a full season at this level"

Lets keep adding to the list, and hopefully Stevens and the coaching staff keep reminding this team how they are being disrespected across the media.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, it was a bad call, but there are a handful of bad calls in every game. The Celts earned that game.

Now, in some theoretical simulation where we replayed this season 100 times, would I expect a 14 game streak to happen consistently? No, probably not. But, for every excuse why our record is a fluke, there have been equal reasons why you can argue the Celts have had bad luck with injuries, scheduling, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Anybody really surprised? I don’t know how you can have the #1 defense in the league and get lucky enough to win 14 straight games. CBS must be the David Cooperfield of basketball then lol

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Beat OKC, on the road.

Beat SAS, always a tough team (great coach).

Beat GSW, the champs.

It will take beating Houston on Dec 28 for the "soft schedule" comments (C. Barkley) to fade.

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
You are not going to hear main stream media give the Celtics any credit.  Why? Golden State is their team.

Everyone before this game was predicting a golden state massacre.  Vegas gave the Warriors 7 points at the Garden.

Tooday... in order to save their takes and predictions they will be spouting about how the refs robbed Their Warriors.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Yeah, it was a bad call, but there are a handful of bad calls in every game. The Celts earned that game.

Now, in some theoretical simulation where we replayed this season 100 times, would I expect a 14 game streak to happen consistently? No, probably not. But, for every excuse why our record is a fluke, there have been equal reasons why you can argue the Celts have had bad luck with injuries, scheduling, etc.
good points. yes, the points made by others are relevent. but, the warriors, and others, sooner or later have similar things happen to them.

but commentators should also acknowledge the injuries the team has had this year. how many games missed so far by starters? and only 4 players carry over from last year, so it takes time for the team to learn to play together.

so, if the injured, newly built celtics can win 14 in a row (and counting) what could this team do if healthy and playing together? that is also a question worth pondering.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We all are guilty of this when our team loses and there is a foul shot disparity. Nature of being a fan.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't understand complaining about that Kyrie foul though because Horford was uncontested and tipped it in. That would have happened whether the whistle blew or not.

In physical games, you can always point to a million different plays that could have gone one way or another.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nothing will change until the Celtics beat certain teams in the playoffs.   

Beat the Cavs in the playoffs, move up a level of respect.  (though I can see the media saying the Cavs have come back down)

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

There were awful calls on both sides by the refs last night.  At one point Morris got mauled after shooting a 3 (not allowed to land before getting knocked into the stands), but somehow no foul was called.  Tons of uncalled travels, too (anyone else remember the double dribble in transition that the refs ignored?).  The refs called the game extremely loose, but I wouldn't say it was lopsided in any direction (even if it felt like it at times)
I'm bitter.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Beat OKC, on the road.

Beat GSW, the champs.

It will take beating Houston on Dec 28 for the "soft schedule" comments (C. Barkley) to fade.

The critics also overlook the highly significant fact that this is basically a whole new roster, with 6 rookies. Soft schedule or not, we were widely, and reasonably, expected to struggle significantly in the first half of the season while learning the system and learning how to play with each other.

Winning 14 in a row while beating the Spurs, OKC, and GS is just unheard of in that case.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Nothing will change until the Celtics beat certain teams in the playoffs.   

Beat the Cavs in the playoffs, move up a level of respect.  (though I can see the media saying the Cavs have come back down)

At some point we're going to have to start saying "IF the Cavs make the playoffs". Seriously, can they even withstand a Lebron ankle sprain at this point?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

There were awful calls on both sides by the refs last night.  At one point Morris got mauled after shooting a 3 (not allowed to land before getting knocked into the stands), but somehow no foul was called.  Tons of uncalled travels, too (anyone else remember the double dribble in transition that the refs ignored?).  The refs called the game extremely loose, but I wouldn't say it was lopsided in any direction (even if it felt like it at times)

Even late, there was the time Green got to the line when he was ruled to be in the act of shooting despite pretty clearly throwing a bounce pass.

The Celtics were just more aggressive, and were rewarded.  As I noted in the game thread, in the second half they had 13 official shot attempts in the restricted area to the Warriors 3, and the disparity was even larger when you factor in the plays that don’t count as shot attempts because fouls were called.  This is why the Celtics took 1.58 free throws per Warriors foul while the Warriors took only 1.27 free throws per Celtics foul.  The Celtics earned their trips to the line by not settling for jump shots.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Beat OKC, on the road.

Beat GSW, the champs.

The critics also overlook the highly significant fact that this is basically a whole new roster, with 6 rookies. Soft schedule or not, we were widely, and reasonably, expected to struggle significantly in the first half of the season while learning the system and learning how to play with each other.

Winning 14 in a row while beating the Spurs, OKC, and GS is just unheard of in that case.

Don’t forget Toronto without Kyrie.  And Charlotte (mediocre tho they are) without any of the big 3.

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
If a team is fouling every play you take it to the hole like  Celtics did. Kyrie was fouled. He was raked across the face and that made him miss. Hence a foul. What a bunch of entitled babies Golden State is. They should be fined. Every one else is when they complain.