Celtics Basketball > Celtics History

Antoine Walker was the first stretch 4

(1/7) > >>

Moranis:
I was thinking about this the other day.  I truly believe Toine the first "big" to truly understand what the three point shot could be and that he doesn't get credit for being the inventor of the stretch 4.  Before Toine, I don't believe a single PF or C was ever even in the top 10 in 3 PT attempts in a season.  Toine led the league for 3 consecutive seasons.  During those 3 seasons he attempted 7.4, 8.0, and 7.5 attempts and hit them at 36.7, 34.4, and 32.3 percent.  His first two seasons with those attempts, he was hitting at a very respectable clip.  Since Toine, the 3 ball has become a significant weapon in the game and particularly for big men with guys like Lewis and Anderson leading the league in attempts from the PF position. 

So this post is to give Toine his due as the first stretch 4 and the creator of the trend.  Here's to you big guy.

Spilling Green Dye:
Nope, Larry Bird was the first stretch 4.  Even Paul Pierce in a recent interview I saw had cited that too.  A 6'9" PF who could shoot from anywhere... and even pass from anywhere as an added bonus!

I liked 'toine, but he wasn't that effective at shooting, but man would he love the NBA today!

Mike Pemulis:
Would Bob McAdoo qualify?

Roy H.:

--- Quote from: Spilling Green Dye on November 16, 2017, 03:24:26 PM ---Nope, Larry Bird was the first stretch 4.  Even Paul Pierce in a recent interview I saw had cited that too.  A 6'9" PF who could shoot from anywhere... and even pass from anywhere as an added bonus!

I liked 'toine, but he wasn't that effective at shooting, but man would he love the NBA today!

--- End quote ---

Yeah, Larry was definitely the modern day point forward, with stretch capabilities when he played at PF.

But Antoine and Jim O’Brien were before their time, for sure. At the same time, it might be a waste to utilize somebody of Toine’s skill set so much on the perimeter.

Donoghus:
'Toine is one of the biggest "what if" players I ever saw.  Feel like he barely scrapped his potential as a basketball player and, ultimately, underachieved in regards to what he could've been.

It was frustrating to watch as it was unfolding.  Especially early 2000s 'Toine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version