Author Topic: Roy Moore  (Read 18333 times)

Re: Roy Moore
« Reply #420 on: December 13, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Tough year for Bama.  This story was almost as bad as the Crimson Tide not winning the SEC.
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #421 on: December 13, 2017, 06:26:25 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 26
Tough year for Bama.  This story was almost as bad as the Crimson Tide not winning the SEC.

Bentley resigned too.

« Reply #422 on: December 13, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 12
Someone should tell Steve Bannon that a brown leather jacket with a black shirt is not great optics, except perhaps among some very narrow strata of his party's electorate...

Forget Steve Bannon. The moment the National GOP threw its support behind Moore, they were all in. The GOP would be looking so much better if they had repudiated Moore. But they didn't. Now they need to live with it, not try to throw Bannon under the bus.

It took me literally less than five seconds to see what they are doing here.

This is some Jim Crow-level crookedness here. This combined with voter ID laws and inadequate polling stations/booths in blue areas reinforces the notion that the South hasn't really changed. 150 years later the white party is still hell-bent on denying blacks a fair vote.

There's nothing specific to Alabama here. Gerrymandering exists in pretty much every state. It sucks, though, and I agree that more needs to be done about it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #423 on: December 13, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2343
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
There's nothing specific to Alabama here. Gerrymandering exists in pretty much every state. It sucks, though, and I agree that more needs to be done about it.

Alabama is one of the top 10 worst gerrymandered states in the union, so they aren't exactly run of the mill, though gerrymandering is prevelant as you state.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #424 on: December 13, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 353
Wow, Alabama is so aggressively gerrymandered that despite winning the state Jones only won 1 of 7 congressional districts:

Not at all unusual.  Democratic vote is concentrated in the cities across the U.S.

It is, but there's more than one city in Alabama. Those shapes look natural to you?
Have you looked at the Massachusetts congressional districts?  How are those natural shapes? 

« Reply #425 on: December 13, 2017, 09:59:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 353
Wow, Alabama is so aggressively gerrymandered that despite winning the state Jones only won 1 of 7 congressional districts:

Not at all unusual.  Democratic vote is concentrated in the cities across the U.S.

It is, but there's more than one city in Alabama. Those shapes look natural to you?

No they do not. And this is why the Supreme Court needs to actually do their jobs and intervene more often in these situations.

This is some Jim Crow-level crookedness here. This combined with voter ID laws and inadequate polling stations/booths in blue areas reinforces the notion that the South hasn't really changed. 150 years later the white party is still hell-bent on denying blacks a fair vote.
Typical northern nonsense.  Blacks voted yesterday in proportion or slightly above their overall population of the state.  What do you know about Alabama or its voter ID law?  Here's a link listing all the different forms of acceptable ID:  http://sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/photo-voter-id/valid-ids.  If you don't have any of the other valid IDs you can get a free voter photo id.  Quite reasonable. 

How do you explain the long voting lines in minority precincts in the rest of the country (Ohio, South Florida, Arizona, ...)?  The fact is elections are done on limited budgets across the country.  Look how long it took California to complete and certify its vote after the Presidential election. 

« Reply #426 on: December 13, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 111

No they do not. And this is why the Supreme Court needs to actually do their jobs and intervene more often in these situations.

Typical northern nonsense.  Blacks voted yesterday in proportion or slightly above their overall population of the state.  What do you know about Alabama or its voter ID law?  Here's a link listing all the different forms of acceptable ID:  http://sos.alabama.gov/alabama-votes/photo-voter-id/valid-ids.  If you don't have any of the other valid IDs you can get a free voter photo id.  Quite reasonable. 

How do you explain the long voting lines in minority precincts in the rest of the country (Ohio, South Florida, Arizona, ...)?  The fact is elections are done on limited budgets across the country.  Look how long it took California to complete and certify its vote after the Presidential election.

Except there's plenty of other voter suppression going on. Alabama police head to  Minority polling stations check rotors for outstanding warrants that deters people from going to vote.  I also read that places to get a free ID were closed yesterday. Free IDs are great, when you can get them.

Edit: only in counties with 75% minority or more were the offices closed

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/alabama-drivers-licenses-voter-id
2018 Mock Deadline Houston Rockets
PG: CP3, Eric Gordon, Markel Brown
SG: Harden, Gerald Green, RJ Hunter
SF: Trevor Ariza, PJ Tucker, Troy Williams
PF: R. Anderson, Luc Mbah a Moute, Chinanu Onuaku
C: Clint Capela, Nene, Tarik Black, Zhou Qi
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

« Reply #427 on: December 14, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1038
In politics itís hard to vote for the better candidate if they are on the other side of the aisle from where you normally typically align

Not for me, I do not belong to either party and I think the party system has done more harm that good.   I vote for who I think is best for my country, state or county.   I have voted for Dems and for GOP and independents.

To me there is no aisle, so I don't have that problem.   

« Reply #428 on: December 14, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 355
In politics itís hard to vote for the better candidate if they are on the other side of the aisle from where you normally typically align

Not for me, I do not belong to either party and I think the party system has done more harm that good.   I vote for who I think is best for my country, state or county.   I have voted for Dems and for GOP and independents.

The issue with the party system is that itís gone beyond politics. Itís a lifestyle for a lot of people. Poor Alabamians living in rural areas would rather elect a pedofile than a Democrat, because the pedofile isnít a Democrat. To them, itís not about the issues. To them, Democrats represent the establishment, which they believe has failed them. Trump won on this mindset.

Unfortunately, voters like yourself are few and far between. In a perfect world, the majority people would actually educate themselves on the issue and vote for the candidate that best exemplifies their best interests.

Instead, the party is the only defining criteria. Itís a culture. The GOP can literally sign a tax bill with immense implications for poor and working class individuals and these people will continually vote them in.

« Reply #429 on: December 14, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 500

The issue with the party system is that itís gone beyond politics. Itís a lifestyle for a lot of people. Poor Alabamians living in rural areas would rather elect a pedofile than a Democrat, because the pedofile isnít a Democrat. To them, itís not about the issues. To them, Democrats represent the establishment, which they believe has failed them. Trump won on this mindset.

Unfortunately, voters like yourself are few and far between. In a perfect world, the majority people would actually educate themselves on the issue and vote for the candidate that best exemplifies their best interests.

Instead, the party is the only defining criteria. Itís a culture. The GOP can literally sign a tax bill with immense implications for poor and working class individuals and these people will continually vote them in.

The democrats did fail them. Now the republicans are outright robbing them.

« Reply #430 on: December 14, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1993
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Have you looked at the Massachusetts congressional districts?  How are those natural shapes? 

I'm confused what your point is here. First you seem to suggest it's not gerrymandering, now it is gerrymandering but look over there? Is it just defensiveness about the South? I've spent most of my adult life in the South, and I've never lived in Massachusetts. Can you be a little clearer about what you're getting at?

In the interest of doing the same, I find gerrymandering appalling and think that while regulating it is much easier said than done, it needs to be reined in. Everywhere.

Here's Alabama's county-level results for comparison:

If that next to the Congressional District map doesn't strike you as an absurdly rigged framework, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't think it was a very controversial idea.

« Reply #431 on: December 14, 2017, 10:07:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 905

I'm confused what your point is here. First you seem to suggest it's not gerrymandering, now it is gerrymandering but look over there? Is it just defensiveness about the South? I've spent most of my adult life in the South, and I've never lived in Massachusetts. Can you be a little clearer about what you're getting at?

In the interest of doing the same, I find gerrymandering appalling and think that while regulating it is much easier said than done, it needs to be reined in. Everywhere.

If that next to the Congressional District map doesn't strike you as an absurdly rigged framework, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't think it was a very controversial idea.
It is bad, but Alabama has multiple counties that have less than 10,000 people.  It is hard to get some sort of even representation.  That said, it could be a lot better.  Here are some suggested district lines in Alabama that make more sense.

http://images.dailykos.com/images/148305/large/Alabama_1VRA_State_View.png?1434245381

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.JiOGFjXBjL4rziWh049eLgC9Es&pid=Api

http://images.dailykos.com/images/274316/original/Alabama_Non-Partisan_Map_2_VRA_2016-7-13_Plurality_White_State_View.png?1468624045

« Reply #432 on: December 14, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 725

It is bad, but Alabama has multiple counties that have less than 10,000 people.  It is hard to get some sort of even representation.  That said, it could be a lot better.  Here are some suggested district lines in Alabama that make more sense.

http://images.dailykos.com/images/148305/large/Alabama_1VRA_State_View.png?1434245381

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.JiOGFjXBjL4rziWh049eLgC9Es&pid=Api

http://images.dailykos.com/images/274316/original/Alabama_Non-Partisan_Map_2_VRA_2016-7-13_Plurality_White_State_View.png?1468624045

https://rantt.com/the-top-10-most-gerrymandered-states-in-america-bd962843ba1f

I thought that article was interesting because it had a few alternate maps. Of the top 10, 1 favored dems, 9 favored repubs.

« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42346121

Keep diggin', Roy. What a thoroughly disgusting individual.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #434 on: December 14, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

Online blink

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 362
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42346121

Keep diggin', Roy. What a thoroughly disgusting individual.

his 15 minutes of being INfamous is over, but he doesn't seem to want to accept it.