Author Topic: Roy Moore  (Read 17273 times)

Re: Roy Moore
« Reply #285 on: December 12, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 319
Roy Moore is going to win, I just feel it.  Remember, he is filling Jeff Sessions' seat.  Who would have thought that you would get an even more polarizing senator.

Here is the conversation Trump will have with him. 

Great job Roy, glad you won but you know, we really need you to get booted from the Senate to provide cover for me for the, you know, wink wink, that fake news about all those women accusing me.  The good Gov. of Alabama will appoint another totally partisan right wing reliable vote so we will be fine.  But don't worry, I am going to appoint you to a federal judgeship or maybe the head of a civil rights commission that I am going to form. We will take care of you.

« Reply #286 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2340
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
should add a poll to guess the winner and margin of victory.

I'm going with Moore by 12%.  The Fox report claiming Jones is ahead will be seen by Moore supporters and get them out in droves to support him. 

I'm going 51-49 Doug Jones, Alabama's soul saved by black voters.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #287 on: December 12, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 43

I'm going with Moore by 12%.  The Fox report claiming Jones is ahead will be seen by Moore supporters and get them out in droves to support him.

so lemme get this straight - FOX news is reporting that Jones is ahead??? If he wins, then will DJT consider it FAKE NEWS???

On a more serious point, I COMPLETELY get their strategy. Keep publicizing that Jones is ahead, so that more of the (R) base will go out and vote for Moore - just to make sure that the (D) doesn't win.

« Reply #288 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 1049
  • What a Pub Should Be
I have very little faith that Moore doesn't get elected tonight.  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #289 on: December 12, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

so lemme get this straight - FOX news is reporting that Jones is ahead??? If he wins, then will DJT consider it FAKE NEWS???

On a more serious point, I COMPLETELY get their strategy. Keep publicizing that Jones is ahead, so that more of the (R) base will go out and vote for Moore - just to make sure that the (D) doesn't win.

Same thing Bill Simmons does when the C's are in the playoffs.

« Reply #290 on: December 12, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1969
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Meanwhile polls range from Moore +9 to Jones +10 (from Fox of all places), with most showing Moore up by 4-5. *extremely lazy pundit voice* folks it's gonna all come down to turnout.

I feel like this post is the equivalent of that salty taste in your mouth before you throw up. Like, you're pretty certain you're gonna throw up, probably, almost certainly. But maybe you're not. You're gonna wait another ten seconds before heading to the bathroom just to ma------sorry. Yeah, it got everywhere. Sorry.

I've figured Moore would win all along, so it's not really the same for me. Credible accusations of child molestation just upped Jones' chances from like 1-2% to about 20%. Wouldn't be shocking if Jones won but would be surprising.

From a moral perspective it's clearly appalling but comedically it'd be the gift that keeps on giving. Just imagine it: Moore giving speeches on the Senate floor blaming terrorism on the gays, making inappropriate comments to a page and forcing R pundits to be like, "ACTUALLY, telling a 16 year old she has childbearing hips isn't a crime". Years of this stuff.

« Reply #291 on: December 12, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »

Online rondofan1255

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 11

Yesterday, I guessed Moore by 12% too.

« Reply #292 on: December 12, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1969
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Fox like everyone else doesn't run their own polls, they commission professional outlets to do it. Their polls aren't significantly more or less biased than other major polls. Except when they use Rasmussen, which has a consistent R lean, but even that's not too dramatic.

I'm really not a fan of the idea that professional polls are being doctored to push some underlying narrative. Though as Nate Silver points out, a lot of outfits would've just not published a poll that's such an outlier (there's one recent poll where they're tied, every other one has Moore up by at least a few pts). Especially with special elections being notoriously hard
 to accurately model. But I prefer all the data come out no matter how people choose to use them.

« Reply #293 on: December 12, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »

Online kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1283

Fox like everyone else doesn't run their own polls, they commission professional outlets to do it. Their polls aren't significantly more or less biased than other major polls. Except when they use Rasmussen, which has a consistent R lean, but even that's not too dramatic.

I'm really not a fan of the idea that professional polls are being doctored to push some underlying narrative. Though as Nate Silver points out, a lot of outfits would've just not published a poll that's such an outlier (there's one recent poll where they're tied, every other one has Moore up by at least a few pts). But I prefer all the data come out no matter how people choose to use them.
You don't need to doctor it per se. Just stratifying/weighing differently can give a vastly different result. Publishing a survey calibrated to show the worst possible outcome for a candidate is somewhat legitimate, and noone is going to read the fine print anyhow.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:46:33 AM by kozlodoev »
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #294 on: December 12, 2017, 10:42:29 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 864
Roy Moore is going to win, I just feel it.  Remember, he is filling Jeff Sessions' seat.  Who would have thought that you would get an even more polarizing senator.

Great job Roy, glad you won but you know, we really need you to get booted from the Senate to provide cover for me for the, you know, wink wink, that fake news about all those women accusing me.  The good Gov. of Alabama will appoint another totally partisan right wing reliable vote so we will be fine.  But don't worry, I am going to appoint you to a federal judgeship or maybe the head of a civil rights commission that I am going to form. We will take care of you.

Yeah, 'worst case' scenario for the Rs is pushing Moore to resign and appointing a more 'appropriate' R senator in his place. I am sure this is how many people justified voting for Trump, knowing that Pence, not Killary, would take his place...that and getting a conservative Supreme Court justice at any cost. Party over politics!

We can all cross our fingers and hope Alabama does the right thing, but that seems like quite a bit to ask for.

« Reply #295 on: December 12, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 83
Roy Moode was a deplorable candidate BEFORE the very believable assault accusations.  It is hard to fathom someone like him would be elected just because of party affiliation but it is likely to happen and it disgusts me.

I have a few friends from Alabama and they often complain about how Alabama is perceived around the country.  If they elect Roy Moode they are only reinforcing those perceptions.

Come on Alabama, here is your chance to get it right.  You are better than and deserve better than Roy Moode...
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #296 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »

Offline jackpercussion

• Marcus Morris
  • Tommy Points: 10
He'll be elected and then forced to resign.  This has been the plan all along.  Not saying it is right; it's just business.

« Reply #297 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Meanwhile polls range from Moore +9 to Jones +10 (from Fox of all places), with most showing Moore up by 4-5. *extremely lazy pundit voice* folks it's gonna all come down to turnout.

I feel like this post is the equivalent of that salty taste in your mouth before you throw up. Like, you're pretty certain you're gonna throw up, probably, almost certainly. But maybe you're not. You're gonna wait another ten seconds before heading to the bathroom just to ma------sorry. Yeah, it got everywhere. Sorry.

I've figured Moore would win all along, so it's not really the same for me. Credible accusations of child molestation just upped Jones' chances from like 1-2% to about 20%. Wouldn't be shocking if Jones won but would be surprising.

From a moral perspective it's clearly appalling but comedically it'd be the gift that keeps on giving. Just imagine it: Moore giving speeches on the Senate floor blaming terrorism on the gays, making inappropriate comments to a page and forcing R pundits to be like, "ACTUALLY, telling a 16 year old she has childbearing hips isn't a crime". Years of this stuff.

Every single response I have to this post isn't allowed on this forum. And they were all jokes.

« Reply #298 on: December 12, 2017, 11:19:16 AM »

Online slamtheking

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 8853

Great job Roy, glad you won but you know, we really need you to get booted from the Senate to provide cover for me for the, you know, wink wink, that fake news about all those women accusing me.  The good Gov. of Alabama will appoint another totally partisan right wing reliable vote so we will be fine.  But don't worry, I am going to appoint you to a federal judgeship or maybe the head of a civil rights commission that I am going to form to fill Ruth Bader Ginsberg's seat on the Supreme Court. We will take care of you.
fixed it for you.  you know that's what Trump's really thinking and offering    :P

« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2017, 07:44:42 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
No longer do you get to play the moral high ground / religious right card if you republicans double down and elect a Moore on the heels of electing Trump. 

That is some seriously hollow ground.

Pro tip:
if you own a home better cash out now ahead of the collapse.  Itís tradition didnít ya know.
Now that the 1% has their tax break, expect them to pull out of the market & horde half the nations money over the next 18 months.