Author Topic: Roy Moore  (Read 20261 times)

Re: Roy Moore
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 581

I learned this lesson a long time ago watching the Clarence Thomas hearings.  Very early on in the hearings it became painfully obvious that the man was simply NOT qualified to become a Supreme Court Justice just based on his lack of credentials.  And he's proven to be nothing but an echo chamber during his whole tenure.

When people make statements like this, I always wonder what they have accomplished in their lives to pass judgment on the qualifications of a Supreme Court Justice.  My brother would always call Bush dumb and I'd say, "he has two masters degrees from Harvard and I think Yale, you barely passed high school."  He was a fighter pilot and by all accounts a good one.  They don't like dumb people be fighter pilots.  But I guess his high school diploma and one semester of college before dropping out gives him the insight into the world the rest of us are missing.

My credentials aren't relevant.  This is the internet and for all you know I have the loftiest most unassailable of achievements on my CV.   Attacking me isn't relevant.   What is relevant to my point is the qualifications (or lack of)  of these men being given positions of extremely high power in our government being side-stepped because of the moving goal-posts of other issues.

Thomas went over 5 full years at one point without ever posing a single question to counsel in SC hearings.    He has written by far the fewest majority opinions.   His pen has been as quiet as his voice.  He has not ever really shown the ability to influence other's to come to his opinions.  Roy sees him as a 'textualist' but that begs the question of arguing over original intent.   For all practical purposes, he has served as an echo chamber for the strict conservative, constructionist vote. 

Even going back to his initial nomination, plenty of people questioned whether Thomas had the jurisprudential background for the job.  Thomas had barely served less than a year and a half on the D.C. Circuit when he was named to take Marshall's seat.     But because of (a) identity politics, as Roy points out and (b) the circus that erupted over the Anita Hill allegations, the Senate never really took to the task of actually reviewing his qualifications.   They instead let his narrow escape from the scandal serve as the referendum over his nomination.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

« Reply #271 on: December 11, 2017, 09:11:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27666
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

A pro-Trump super PAC arranged for a 12-year-old girl to interview Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore (R) as he faces mounting allegations of sexual misconduct with teenage girls.

The America First Project brought Millie March, a girl whose interviews during the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) went viral, to Alabama to interview Moore.

“We decided that we were going to bring Millie to Alabama, after everything that’s happened in this Alabama Senate race up until this point,” America First Project’s Jennifer Lawrence said in the video, adding that the group wanted "to show there is a wide range of people who support Roy Moore."

Somebody thought this was a good idea?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 486
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

A pro-Trump super PAC arranged for a 12-year-old girl to interview Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore (R) as he faces mounting allegations of sexual misconduct with teenage girls.

The America First Project brought Millie March, a girl whose interviews during the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) went viral, to Alabama to interview Moore.

“We decided that we were going to bring Millie to Alabama, after everything that’s happened in this Alabama Senate race up until this point,” America First Project’s Jennifer Lawrence said in the video, adding that the group wanted "to show there is a wide range of people who support Roy Moore."

just gross
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 8944

like putting a pack of cigarettes in front of a "former" smoker  ;)

« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2017, 10:00:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1468

It's easy to be cynical about this.  I really am interested in knowing the train of thought that led to the decision of using a 12 yo girl to interview him -- especially as he's basically been in hiding for much of the past week.   

Is it really possible that they thought it would provide positive optics to place him next to a young girl without molesting her?  I find it hard to believe that this was their thinking, and yet I can't come up with anything else to support this decision.  It's really too strange to believe.

« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2017, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman

It's easy to be cynical about this.  I really am interested in knowing the train of thought that led to the decision of using a 12 yo girl to interview him -- especially as he's basically been in hiding for much of the past week.   

Is it really possible that they thought it would provide positive optics to place him next to a young girl without molesting her?  I find it hard to believe that this was their thinking, and yet I can't come up with anything else to support this decision.  It's really too strange to believe.
that or they figure an interview conducted at the intellectual level of a 12-year old is about what a voter in Alabama can understand?   :-\

« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 993

Her parents, I guess? 

I can see it now - when she comes of age, she'll be repulsed by the thought of being in the same room as the toxic wastedump that is Roy Moore.

Broussard: "Did you call bank?"
Pierce: "I called game."

- Paul Pierce on his game-winning buzzer beater, game 3 EC Semi-finals against the Atlanta Hawks

« Reply #277 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 132
  • Forever LIT

LOL. "Look guys! I'm not aroused!"

« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2017, 10:24:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 947

LOL. "Look guys! I'm not aroused!"

I don't know man, look where is hands are positioned. Perhaps he is trying to hide what's going on under the pants.

I don't know how many more times I can be in disbelief about Roy Moore and Alabama voters. I am becoming numb to that particular emotion.

« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 5516

Why do I get this optic of a fat, unshaven blonde guy wearing overalls, chewing tobacco, saying "See, he ain't never been aroused by none lil' girls, yall. We need Roy Moore helping Mr. Trump".

« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2079
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Moore's closing arguments include:

- I can do an interview with a 12-year-old girl without assaulting her!

- Here's a character testimonial that I didn't have sex with underage Vietnamese prostitutes even though I totally could have!

- If we're so anti-Semitic, then why is our attorney a Jew?

If you're wondering if any of these are made up, please refer to the current year.

« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 46

- Here's a character testimonial that I didn't have sex with underage Vietnamese prostitutes even though I totally could have!

Did he really say that?

If you're wondering if any of these are made up, please refer to the current year.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:41:26 AM by heyvik »

« Reply #282 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 2079
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Did he really say that?

His wife did, last night.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/11/politics/kayla-moore-roy-rally-alabama-senate/index.html

Some of their best friends, dontcha know.

Meanwhile polls range from Moore +9 to Jones +10 (from Fox of all places), with most showing Moore up by 4-5. *extremely lazy pundit voice* folks it's gonna all come down to turnout.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:46:08 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #283 on: December 12, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2429
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Meanwhile polls range from Moore +9 to Jones +10 (from Fox of all places), with most showing Moore up by 4-5. *extremely lazy pundit voice* folks it's gonna all come down to turnout.

I feel like this post is the equivalent of that salty taste in your mouth before you throw up. Like, you're pretty certain you're gonna throw up, probably, almost certainly. But maybe you're not. You're gonna wait another ten seconds before heading to the bathroom just to ma------sorry. Yeah, it got everywhere. Sorry.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #284 on: December 12, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• Bill Sharman
should add a poll to guess the winner and margin of victory.

I'm going with Moore by 12%.  The Fox report claiming Jones is ahead will be seen by Moore supporters and get them out in droves to support him.