Author Topic: Roy Moore  (Read 10728 times)

Re: Roy Moore
« Reply #255 on: December 07, 2017, 07:15:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5203
Putting this here, because we don’t need a thread for every political development considering this is CelticsBlog.

Congressman Trent Franks of Arizona, a Conservative Republican, appears to be resigning effective immediately.  Reasons are currently unclear, but given the abruptness of the announcement and the current climate, my gut says it’s related to issues discussed in this thread.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/arizonas-trent-franks-expected-resign
Thought this interesting from the article:

Ohio Rep. Steve Stivers, chairman of the National Republican Campaign Committee, said Franks “did the right thing in stepping aside.”

“Congress should be held to the highest ethical standard,” he said. “This is a safe Republican seat, and we have no doubt it will stay in our column.”

So Republicans are going to hold themselves to the highest standard as long as there is no chance of losing the seat to a Democrat

« Reply #256 on: December 07, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27936
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Putting this here, because we don’t need a thread for every political development considering this is CelticsBlog.

Congressman Trent Franks of Arizona, a Conservative Republican, appears to be resigning effective immediately.  Reasons are currently unclear, but given the abruptness of the announcement and the current climate, my gut says it’s related to issues discussed in this thread.

Ohio Rep. Steve Stivers, chairman of the National Republican Campaign Committee, said Franks “did the right thing in stepping aside.”

“Congress should be held to the highest ethical standard,” he said. “This is a safe Republican seat, and we have no doubt it will stay in our column.”

So Republicans are going to hold themselves to the highest standard as long as there is no chance of losing the seat to a Democrat

Yep.  I'm surprised they admitted this, but all of these forced resignations, etc., are just for political points.

What about Bob Menendez?  What about Duckie Jammies?  Chaka Fattah?  Ted Stevens? Greg Gianforte?  What about the string of politicians who have served out their terms while being corrupt, cheating on taxes, etc.?

The Parties don't care about ethics, they care about power.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5203

Yep.  I'm surprised they admitted this, but all of these forced resignations, etc., are just for political points.

What about Bob Menendez?  What about Duckie Jammies?  Chaka Fattah?  Ted Stevens? Greg Gianforte?  What about the string of politicians who have served out their terms while being corrupt, cheating on taxes, etc.?

Its all disgusting.

« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2017, 08:51:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 8827

sadly the truest statement that can be said about the politicians in this country

« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 2150

What I do think would be helpful, at least for Senate ethics, is for more states to emulate Hawaii’s vacancy laws.  The governor has to choose the replacement Senator from three choices submitted by the party.  This keeps the Senate composition from changing in the event that the governor is of a different party, and also from the governor playing politics or worse with the appointment pick (a la Blagoiovich). 

House seats are different, since vacancies are required to be filled via election, and there’s a somewhat reasonable argument to be made that since terms are shorter the voters should decide for all but the worst offenses.  I don’t subscribe to that myself, but I find it defensible.  Chaka Fattah had allegations come up against him in 2014, but he was still re-elected. Rangel was re-elected multiple times despite being censured by the House.  Special elections cost taxpayers money, and short of a conviction there’s nothing preventing some of these folks from running again even if they were removed from their seat.  Mark Sanford was an embarrassment as South Carolina governor.  Now he’s my mother’s rep.  She’s a politically aware Dem, and even she didn’t remember it was the same guy until I told her.  We can blame parties, but voters, many of us included, are responsible too.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:00:08 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 707
At a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was "great." Moore responded: "I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

This man is still endorsed and funded by the RNC.

« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2017, 11:58:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2408
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
At a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was "great." Moore responded: "I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

Said it to a black man too. Here's another gem from an interview with the Guardian:

The interviewer noted that Ronald Reagan once said that the Soviet Union was the focus of evil in the modern world.

“You could say that very well about America, couldn’t you?” Moore replied.

“Do you think?” the interviewer replied.

“Well, we promote a lot of bad things,” Moore said. Asked for an example, Moore replied, “Like same-sex marriage.” It was Moore’s refusal to uphold the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision on same-sex marriage that led to his second ouster from Alabama’s court.

When the interviewer noted that Putin makes the same argument, Moore didn’t blink.

“Maybe Putin is right,” Moore replied. “Maybe he’s more akin to me than I know.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/12/08/roy-moore-america-was-great-in-era-of-slavery-is-now-focus-of-evil-in-the-world/?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.53404f5fb98f

Moore has also blamed America's actions, again related to gay people, for 9/11. Remember when Jeremiah Wright said similar things, just citing America's racial history as the reason why, and was pilloried for years? And he wasn't even a candidate, just linked to one. Man times have changed. Reminds me of Trump claiming America is just as bad as Putin.

« Reply #262 on: December 08, 2017, 12:05:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 470
More examples of what defines the character of Roy Moore:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/12/08/roy-moore-america-was-great-in-era-of-slavery-is-now-focus-of-evil-in-the-world/?utm_term=.1a1f8b1b7de6

On how the teaching of the theory of natural selection causes gang violence:

“We have kids driving by, shooting each other, that they don’t even know each other,” Moore said. “They’re acting like animals because we’ve taught them they come from animals. They’re treating their fellow men with prejudice because we taught them they come from animals.”

On what made America great in the past:
In September, Moore held a rally in Florence, Ala. One of the members of the audience, an African American, asked Moore when he thought America was last great.

“I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another,” Moore replied, according to the Los Angeles Times. “Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

So ... America was last great ... back when natives from Africa were kidnapped, sold and kept as slaves?

MAGA == Bring back slavery?

And here he is reaching out to the 'rainbow coalition':
“Now we have blacks and whites fighting, reds and yellows fighting, Democrats and Republicans fighting, men and women fighting,” he continued. “What’s going to unite us? What’s going to bring us back together? A president? A Congress? No. It’s going to be God.”

He later defended the use of “reds and yellows” by saying that he was quoting a religious song.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

« Reply #263 on: December 08, 2017, 12:27:32 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 76
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
We have a lie on Yearbook proved today. He will now win for sure.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 399

Washington Post's reporting all holds up and the signature is real, but this now lets them get away with child molestation.  What a massive **** up.  Gloria Allred is such a troll

« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1191

What does that even mean?!
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #266 on: December 08, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2408
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Washington Post's reporting all holds up and the signature is real, but this now lets them get away with child molestation.  What a massive **** up.  Gloria Allred is such a troll

Man it was stupid not to state the date and place were added on. They need to have the signature analyzed at this point. They're claiming they have and will have a press conference today but I'll wait and see.

One of the perverse things about the conspiratorial cynicism we see a lot of is that any issue with any piece of reporting or evidence is used to undermine all of it. It leads to having more evidence being worse than less, tangible evidence and personal testimony worse than speculation and innuendo. The Washington Post had nothing to do with this woman's story but it'll be swiftly conflated and used to attack their reporting regardless, and not just in this story.

What does that even mean?!

Cousin marriage.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:30:33 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #267 on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:45 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 470

Man it was stupid not to state the date and place were added on. They need to have the signature analyzed at this point. They're claiming they have and will have a press conference today but I'll wait and see.
So Moore's actual signature has been confirmed by a handwriting expert.  And Fox pulled down their attack accusing the woman of 'forging' his signature.  But of course, Moore himself and several web sites and conservative media sources are still going to run with the accusation all the way to the end, regardless of facts.
One of the perverse things about the conspiratorial cynicism we see a lot of is that any issue with any piece of reporting or evidence is used to undermine all of it. It leads to having more evidence being worse than less, tangible evidence and personal testimony worse than speculation and innuendo. The Washington Post had nothing to do with this woman's story but it'll be swiftly conflated and used to attack their reporting regardless, and not just in this story.

I learned this lesson a long time ago watching the Clarence Thomas hearings.  Very early on in the hearings it became painfully obvious that the man was simply NOT qualified to become a Supreme Court Justice just based on his lack of credentials.  And he's proven to be nothing but an echo chamber during his whole tenure.

But once the accusations of sexual harassment of Anita Hill came out, the whole thing morphed into a referendum on her credibility and whether what she said about him could be taken as 110% gospel evidence of his bad character and of course that was just a river trying to go uphill against the boys-will-be-boys mentality at the time.   

And so, just because he couldn't be 110% proven to be a lecherous pig, he was confirmed for life as a Supreme Court Justice...  !!!!

It was madness.  The guy should never have even been nominated and wasn't qualified EVEN WITHOUT considering the sexual harassment charges!!!

And the same thing holds true with Moore.   Even if you refuse to believe the charges that all these different women have brought against him or even if you want to somehow twist it in your mind that the events really were not so bad, the fact is, the guy has about a zillion _other_ red flags on his resume' that should make him an automatic rejection for any high political office!   He's an unapologetic racist, misogynist  and homophobe with an extensive catalogue of statements and actions on his own part that should have rendered him to the scrap heap.

But I fear this is rapidly turning into a case of, if they can't pin _every_ thing on him, he not only gets off scott free, but indeed, gets rewarded with one of the highest seats of political office in the world.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.
#OneCitizenOneVote - True Election Reform:  Eliminate the anti-democratic Electoral College farce now.

« Reply #268 on: December 11, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27936
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

So Moore's actual signature has been confirmed by a handwriting expert.  And Fox pulled down their attack accusing the woman of 'forging' his signature.  But of course, Moore himself and several web sites and conservative media sources are still going to run with the accusation all the way to the end, regardless of facts.

I learned this lesson a long time ago watching the Clarence Thomas hearings.  Very early on in the hearings it became painfully obvious that the man was simply NOT qualified to become a Supreme Court Justice just based on his lack of credentials.  And he's proven to be nothing but an echo chamber during his whole tenure.

But once the accusations of sexual harassment of Anita Hill came out, the whole thing morphed into a referendum on her credibility and whether what she said about him could be taken as 110% gospel evidence of his bad character and of course that was just a river trying to go uphill against the boys-will-be-boys mentality at the time.   

And so, just because he couldn't be 110% proven to be a lecherous pig, he was confirmed for life as a Supreme Court Justice...  !!!!

It was madness.  The guy should never have even been nominated and wasn't qualified EVEN WITHOUT considering the sexual harassment charges!!!

And the same thing holds true with Moore.   Even if you refuse to believe the charges that all these different women have brought against him or even if you want to somehow twist it in your mind that the events really were not so bad, the fact is, the guy has about a zillion _other_ red flags on his resume' that should make him an automatic rejection for any high political office!   He's an unapologetic racist, misogynist  and homophobe with an extensive catalogue of statements and actions on his own part that should have rendered him to the scrap heap.

But I fear this is rapidly turning into a case of, if they can't pin _every_ thing on him, he not only gets off scott free, but indeed, gets rewarded with one of the highest seats of political office in the world.

I agree on Moore.  I disagree on Thomas, though. He’s hardly been an echo chamber. If anything, he’s more of a textualist than any other member of the Court. He got his position due to identity politics (despite an impressive resume), but he has been, at the very least, adequate as a Justice.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #269 on: December 11, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 205

When people make statements like this, I always wonder what they have accomplished in their lives to pass judgment on the qualifications of a Supreme Court Justice.  My brother would always call Bush dumb and I'd say, "he has two masters degrees from Harvard and I think Yale, you barely passed high school."  He was a fighter pilot and by all accounts a good one.  They don't like dumb people be fighter pilots.  But I guess his high school diploma and one semester of college before dropping out gives him the insight into the world the rest of us are missing.