Author Topic: What players would dominate any generation?  (Read 6615 times)

Re: What players would dominate any generation?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Man the undeserved Embiid hype is approaching the undeserved Kobe hype.

Only took roughly 18 hours for you to eat your words haha

I can’t stand ‘the process’ but if you can’t remove your green goggle once and a while we are no better than Lakers fans.
Glad you're onto deciding my viewpoint for me, puts you on my personal ignore list.

Dominate any generation requires a lot more than 43 games in the NBA and a single big performance on ESPN. That's why its undeserved hype in the context of this thread.

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Russell. In today's modern NBA he would have been able to switch onto anyone in the pick-and-roll, guard multiple positions, bang down low, defend the rim, handle the ball, catch lobs at the rim, etc. In other words, the perfect big for 2017. If he'd been born 20 years ago, he'd have been practicing the three point shot since he was little and who knows how that would have developed (they had no 3s in his day). Oh, and add in the fact that he was a vicious competitor and one of the great teammates of all time.
the perfect big that doesn't shoot the ball well from anywhere on the court?  I've been one of the few that has consistently argued on this board that you don't need a 3 point shot as a big guy, but the vast majority think I'm crazy on that subject.

See bolded section above for your answer.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd really like to see how Hakeem would do in today's game.  He could be ridiculous.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 10:43:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'd really like to see how Hakeem would do in today's game.  He could be ridiculous.
Yeah that's why so many people are excited about Embiid, this generation of NBA writers grew up with him being such a force. Now they see a player with a similar storyline and game and they freak out even more than they were before they made the association.

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
What about Oscar Robertson?
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 10:59:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Russell. In today's modern NBA he would have been able to switch onto anyone in the pick-and-roll, guard multiple positions, bang down low, defend the rim, handle the ball, catch lobs at the rim, etc. In other words, the perfect big for 2017. If he'd been born 20 years ago, he'd have been practicing the three point shot since he was little and who knows how that would have developed (they had no 3s in his day). Oh, and add in the fact that he was a vicious competitor and one of the great teammates of all time.
the perfect big that doesn't shoot the ball well from anywhere on the court?  I've been one of the few that has consistently argued on this board that you don't need a 3 point shot as a big guy, but the vast majority think I'm crazy on that subject.

But you can't just assume that.  Bill never learned how to shoot when he played (career 56% from the line).  Why would he have done it today?  Way more likely he is a Drummond/Jordan type player or a Ben Wallace before them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
There is no way any of the players you listed could https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AlFrOj5Mc leap over a defender from the FT line and finish with a one-handed layup. If jumping over a person from the free throw line for a layup doesn't qualify as athletic dominance...
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
LBJ

If we are judging from finals records, he does not belong on this list.  He can fill up a stat column but has he truly dominated in the finals?

Yeah he'd be much better if he just lost earlier in the playoffs more often.

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

But you can't just assume that.  Bill never learned how to shoot when he played (career 56% from the line).  Why would he have done it today?  Way more likely he is a Drummond/Jordan type player or a Ben Wallace before them.

Drummond/Jordan have career FT% below 40% (though Drummond so far this year has finally posted an above 60% rate ... so far).   That's fundamentally a whole different tier than shooting 56.1%.

If you are looking for a modern analogy, imagine a Ben Simmons who scored about the same, dished about 60-70% as many assists, but grabbed 3 or 4 times as many rebounds and blocked 5 or 6 times as many shots each game.  And was annually the favorite for DPOY.

I.E, if Ben Simmons were several times better than he is right now, he might be Bill Russell.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
There is no way any of the players you listed could https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2AlFrOj5Mc leap over a defender from the FT line and finish with a one-handed layup. If jumping over a person from the free throw line for a layup doesn't qualify as athletic dominance...

Yeah I think a lot of people today don’t realize how utterly amazing Bill Russell actually was. If he played in today’ s era the media and marketing frenzy for him would be unprecedented.

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

I can’t stand ‘the process’ but if you can’t remove your green goggle once and a while we are no better than Lakers fans.
Glad you're onto deciding my viewpoint for me, puts you on my personal ignore list.

Dominate any generation requires a lot more than 43 games in the NBA and a single big performance on ESPN. That's why its undeserved hype in the context of this thread.

My apologies if you felt attacked, I was under the assumption that you disliked Embiid because of his association with Philly. I know it is a small sample size but if you listen to experienced experts they all say the same thing, he is the best big they've seen since Hakeem.

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

My apologies if you felt attacked, I was under the assumption that you disliked Embiid because of his association with Philly. I know it is a small sample size but if you listen to experienced experts they all say the same thing, he is the best big they've seen since Hakeem.
Yeah but, let's see if he can even get through one season before declaring him a generational talent. Danny Manning was supposed to be a generational talent when he came out of Kansas but knee problems derailed his career and so he never maxed out his potential.

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2017, 02:40:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Everyone has him over Shaq? Robinson?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Any apology that involves "if you felt xxx" might as well be not be made fwiw.

Its not that your statement requires any apology anyways, you didn't attack me. You just showed you'll log on first thing in the morning for an "I told you so" after a single game on a topic of generational dominance.

So in my judgment I don't think conversations between us are something I want to engage in. Nick sums up my POV on Embiid nicely.

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
The guy from Celtics history that I think would be great in the small ball era is Dave Cowens.