Around the League > Transaction Ideas and Rumors

Marcus Smart sign and trade option?

(1/5) > >>

slightly biased bias fan:
Smart wants to be a starting guard and his salary will command something in the region of 13-15 million, Utah Jazz just signed Joe Ingles to a similar figure and although is a central figure for them is already 30 and by the time their team is a sudo contender he will be well past his best, but Ingles would be the perfect impact guy for us. Ingles can play small ball 4 and next to guys like Semi and Rozier could be the perfect three to create havoc against second units. I know Utah may not be our biggest fans after sort of stealing Hayward but it is actually an ideal swap for them and perhaps we can throw in a future pick and Nader to sweeten the deal.

chilidawg:
When has Smart ever said he wanted to be a starting guard?  He's always been good with whatever role he plays.

slightly biased bias fan:

--- Quote from: chilidawg on November 15, 2017, 08:38:00 AM ---When has Smart ever said he wanted to be a starting guard?  He's always been good with whatever role he plays.

--- End quote ---

He's good at most roles doesn't mean he doesn't want to play his natural position, he obviously wants to make starter money and you're mad if you think a player in his prime years doesn't want to start.

Green-18:

--- Quote from: slightly biased bias fan on November 15, 2017, 08:46:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: chilidawg on November 15, 2017, 08:38:00 AM ---When has Smart ever said he wanted to be a starting guard?  He's always been good with whatever role he plays.

--- End quote ---

He's good at most roles doesn't mean he doesn't want to play his natural position, he obviously wants to make starter money and you're mad if you think a player in his prime years doesn't want to start.

--- End quote ---

I think Marcus wants to get paid more than anything else.  The starter designation isn't important as long as he plays an important role.  He asked to come off the bench this season and has stated that he is most comfortable as a "swiss army knife".  Another reason he likes the 6th man role is because it gives him an opportunity to get a feel for the other team from the bench. 

ChillyWilly:
I struggle with the money thing because how is your life different at $5/m a year and $15/m a year and $25/m a year?

Seems to me your life is going to be pretty amazing no matter what. My thoughts more money would cause me more stress because more people will want part of that.

Maybe it's a pride thing or maybe an extra few million a year makes a different in the comfort of life.

I get that it's a business but after the first few million what's the difference in quality of life?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version