Author Topic: Grayson Allen with our 2018 late 1st round pick? Edit: Ainge likes him  (Read 18232 times)

Re: Grayson Allen with our 2018 late 1st round pick?
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
this is one of those times i really like this board. such passion, research, and emotion over someone who MIGHT MAYBE PERHAPS will be a mid-second round pick. ha ha...

i do love you guys and gals.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2018, 08:23:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Why do people like this dirty player, who couldn't defend anyone, can't even shoot 3's that well, and is just overall the type of person who has a punchable face? I don't get it?
well, i am not a fan of ainge picking allen unless its the mid second round. but let's also look at his stats for a bit. no need to demonize a player simply because we would prefer someone else.

in his career in college, he shot 38%. not super, but certainly not bad.

in his last year in college he averaged 1.7 steals a game and 15.5 points. and his determination seems to be marcus smart-esque.

i can see worse players in the middle of the second round. but i think better ones are out there.

He benefited from beginning surrounded by so many great players that allowed him to take great catch and shoot 3's. Although, I do agree he is a better shooter than advertised and originally thought, but at this point he is what he is... A glue guy that can occasionally fight though screens, put his heart out on the floor, and try to make something out of nothing on hustle plays. But guess what? We already have that in Marcus Smart. I'm also more than 99.99% certain we will re-sign Smart.

Allen is not worth any first round pick. I would rather draft Gary Trent Jr., or Khyri Thomas/Mitchell Robinson over him any day.

I also cannot get over his dirty play, and cheating ways... I mean I honestly don't mind it, but people associate his dirty playing with his will to be tenacious on the floor. No. Those are both completely separate and entirely different.

While he has great court awareness and good team defense, his 6'6 wingspan and his 6'4 height will certainly limit him. Also he has definitely shown a great deal of leadership, but he will not get that many solid minutes here. I think he is best suited elsewhere.

Maybe I'm too hard on him, but Tatum has always spoke glowingly of him. If he gets drafted, then fine I trust Ainge/Zarren. But I'm not okay with going after him specifically.

Thank you - TP :). Can't stand dat dookie ;) ;D.

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2018, 08:24:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Why do people like this dirty player, who couldn't defend anyone, can't even shoot 3's that well, and is just overall the type of person who has a punchable face? I don't get it?
I love this completely unfounded narrative of him being a bad defender, lol.

Why because he averages 1.7 SPG?

It's not that he's a bad defender; he certainly tries. But he is not going to do that well in the NBA. He fights through screens and picks, but at the end of the day, who is he really going to get minutes over on our roster?

Nader. Please ANYBODY but turnover Nader.

I think Hayward will play spot PG minutes occasionally. In fact, Hayward will probably be our most versatile player on our team, because of how well rounded his game is. I think Ainge will go for a draft and stash big, or try to trade up to get a big that can play the 4 and 5. There is absolutely no need for Allen, unless you're convinced Smart isn't going to come back.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2018, 08:26:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
this is one of those times i really like this board. such passion, research, and emotion over someone who MIGHT MAYBE PERHAPS will be a mid-second round pick. ha ha...

i do love you guys and gals.  ;D

Haha, I mean that's all apart of the discussion! That's what drives us doesn't it? Better than the 139957981361 threads about LeBron coming here.

But I digress, I think Allen will be a late first round pick. Someone will take a flier on him. I just hope it isn't us.

well, i am not a fan of ainge picking allen unless its the mid second round. but let's also look at his stats for a bit. no need to demonize a player simply because we would prefer someone else.

in his last year in college he averaged 1.7 steals a game and 15.5 points. and his determination seems to be marcus smart-esque.

i can see worse players in the middle of the second round. but i think better ones are out there.

He benefited from beginning surrounded by so many great players that allowed him to take great catch and shoot 3's. Although, I do agree he is a better shooter than advertised and originally thought, but at this point he is what he is... A glue guy that can occasionally fight though screens, put his heart out on the floor, and try to make something out of nothing on hustle plays. But guess what? We already have that in Marcus Smart. I'm also more than 99.99% certain we will re-sign Smart.

Allen is not worth any first round pick. I would rather draft Gary Trent Jr., or Khyri Thomas/Mitchell Robinson over him any day.

I also cannot get over his dirty play, and cheating ways... I mean I honestly don't mind it, but people associate his dirty playing with his will to be tenacious on the floor. No. Those are both completely separate and entirely different.

While he has great court awareness and good team defense, his 6'6 wingspan and his 6'4 height will certainly limit him. Also he has definitely shown a great deal of leadership, but he will not get that many solid minutes here. I think he is best suited elsewhere.

Maybe I'm too hard on him, but Tatum has always spoke glowingly of him. If he gets drafted, then fine I trust Ainge/Zarren. But I'm not okay with going after him specifically.

Haha, back at you.

I'm not against Allen. But his fit on this team just doesn't make sense. Which is why I don't think he's coming here, plus if I'm correct, did we even give him a second workout?

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Haha, back at you.

I'm not against Allen. But his fit on this team just doesn't make sense. Which is why I don't think he's coming here, plus if I'm correct, did we even give him a second workout?

No idea.

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2018, 10:16:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, it's a rather ridiculous narrative based on nothing in particular.

Allen is a good athlete with exceptional lateral mobility/agility and above average quickness.  He's also smart and aggressive.  His biggest limitation on that end is his size (not ideal for a SG).  Allen is going to end up proving a lot of people completely wrong about his defense at the NBA level.  He won't be an elite defensive player, but he projects to be at the very least a 'plus' defender.

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Allen is a good athlete with exceptional lateral mobility/agility and above average quickness.  He's also smart and aggressive.  His biggest limitation on that end is his size (not ideal for a SG).  Allen is going to end up proving a lot of people completely wrong about his defense at the NBA level.  He won't be an elite defensive player, but he projects to be at the very least a 'plus' defender.
Summed it up better than I could. TP
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2018, 11:17:22 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

His lateral quickness is actually not that great.. that's what I gathered from the few clips and games I've watched. He is explosive and quick, but we will see.

Like I said honestly I still don't want him here. Where would he even get minutes?

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Is he better than Jabari Bird?  My guess is not.

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

His lateral quickness is actually not that great.. that's what I gathered from the few clips and games I've watched. He is explosive and quick, but we will see.

Like I said honestly I still don't want him here. Where would he even get minutes?
I think that would be more due to his weight. He's been listed at 205-210 throughout this season, but has cut down to 198. So I think he'd be fine.

He would definitely be better than Nader, and we will likely suffer injuries. Plus, if Smart walks he could be very useful. Good shooter, solid playmaker and defender, and has cleaned up his game a lot. I really couldn't care less about a guy who "hip-checked" a guy for a foul.

He's not the guy I want most at #27, but everyone acting like DiVincenzo is the obvious guy to pick after a good tourney and performing well against Combine scrubs is a bit over the top
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2018, 11:27:29 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think Ainge loves to continually draft combo guards for depth who bring a lot to the table. I bet he loves GA but that doesn't mean he's taking him.

Gotta love having a shot at a 4 year player from the best program in the country, multi year capt, under the best college coach.

I could see him becoming a good pro. Seems like an jerk on the court but that might not be a bad thing.

By the way,  I looked up the tripping incidents on YouTube .... is that all??
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:38:42 PM by Fred Roberts »

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2018, 11:17:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The Boston #Celtics “Loved” what they saw from Duke Grayson Allen in his pre draft workout.

Danny Ainge on Allen: “When you watch him play, you see this fluidity and smoothness that not to many players have. His character is exactly what we want here.”

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
#smokescreen
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
#smokescreen

Probably so.

Ainge isn't one to show his cards.

Which is unfortunate, because I'd be thrilled if we drafted Grayson.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
#smokescreen

Probably so.

Ainge isn't one to show his cards.

Which is unfortunate, because I'd be thrilled if we drafted Grayson.
During an ESPN interview Friday at the 2014 NBA Draft combine, Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said he likes Marcus Smart's "fire" and believes the former Oklahoma State guard will have a nice NBA career.

Ainge did not sound concerned by Smart's confrontation with a fan earlier this season, saying: "I dont know all the details of that, haven't researched that yet, but we will look into that. But (it won't affect his draft stock) much. I think hes a great kid, a great player and I think hell have a bright future."