Poll

Would you?...... trade Brown, Tatum and Smart (+ fillers) for Davis?

Yes
15 (10.9%)
No
114 (82.6%)
Ask me at the trade deadline
9 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis  (Read 14895 times)

Re: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Trade Hayward for Davis before I'd trade Brown or Tatum....ha
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2017, 03:26:19 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

If you trade Hayward, it would be the beginning of the end of the Stevens era for the Celtics.

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don’t see The Pelicans wanting Horford if they are trading Davis.  They will probably want rebuilding pieces.

However, maybe you make a 3 team deal.  I’d rather push for trading Horford with say one of Rozier or Smart, the Lakers/Kings pick, and the Memphis pick, and hold onto Tatum and Brown for dear life if possible.

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
New Orleans is starting to look like a possible playoff team. They aren't trading Davis anytime soon.

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Based on basketball ability, I would trade Tatum for Davis and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  If Tatum turns into 75% of the player Davis already is, we'd all be doing backflips. 

But Davis gets injured reading the menu at his favorite restaurant.  And it never ends up being major, but I'd always worry about how much basketball we'd end up getting out of him - whether those minor injuries would start to add up.  Repeat concussions are not a good thing.  That said, it wouldn't stop me from making the move.

Tatum is 75 percent of what Davis is (pro rated) ...already  ;D

can Davis handle the ball??  his outside shooting is not reliable.  He can't dribble stop and pop like Tatum can.  Drive to the basket and finish like Tatum can

Tatum is also a better perimeter defender

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Curious: does anyone see resemblance between our situation and the Warriors a few years ago?

Remember how everyone (EVERYONE) thought that the Warriors should trade Thompson and Green or Thompson and Barnes for Kevin Love?

Kevin Love was a top 10 player at the time. He was supposed to be the new Charles Barkley. The thinking was that the Warriors would have the inside-out presence that championship teams are built on. Jerry West said no, and the Warriors went on to 3 straight championships, winning two.

Would anyone make that trade today?

Davis may be a better player, but are we sure he isn't more Kevin Love than Tim Duncan? Why don't his teams win? Why are there significant stats that question his defensive impact? Why is he playing second fiddle to Cousins now?

I mean, I would definitely take him on our team. Don't get me wrong. He's great.

But maybe we should hang on to our own Barnes, Thompson, and Green and see what we can develop into.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Maybe its weird to bump myself like this, but I wanted this thought out there for the conversation and it seems like it may be going unseen due to the page turn. Thoughts?

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2018, 01:14:12 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
For the poll, I just voted No. I'd prefer the drafting/signing route for bigs.

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2018, 01:32:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ignoring salary rules etc I'd trade Tatum straight up for Davis. I sometimes waver a little on that, mainly due to contract and durability, but I realize a lot of that's just the homer in me.

I have a hard time imagining what I'd include on top of Tatum to land him. If you assume you lose Smart this offseason it's worth including him. Maybe one of our lesser 1sts. Definitely not Brown on top.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but the kid looks incredible so far, on a (relatively) cheap deal, plus RFA and Bird rights. Hard to pass up.

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2018, 01:48:43 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Personally I would def not trade both Brown and Tatum for Anthony Davis, no way.

If it were just one of them I would have to consider it. Both Tatum and Brown have high ceilings, and AD has a history of being injury prone. It'd be a tough call.

Obviously they'd want more than just one of them and that would probably lead to lots of deal breakers.

In the end I think I'd leave the team as it is now and continue to build.

I'm prob wrong lol.

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

If you trade Hayward, it would be the beginning of the end of the Stevens era for the Celtics.

Who cares?  Two thirds of the coaches in the NBA could win a Title with a core of Kyrie, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Al Horford, and Anthony Davis.

« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Curious: does anyone see resemblance between our situation and the Warriors a few years ago?

Remember how everyone (EVERYONE) thought that the Warriors should trade Thompson and Green or Thompson and Barnes for Kevin Love?

Kevin Love was a top 10 player at the time. He was supposed to be the new Charles Barkley. The thinking was that the Warriors would have the inside-out presence that championship teams are built on. Jerry West said no, and the Warriors went on to 3 straight championships, winning two.

Would anyone make that trade today?

Davis may be a better player, but are we sure he isn't more Kevin Love than Tim Duncan? Why don't his teams win? Why are there significant stats that question his defensive impact? Why is he playing second fiddle to Cousins now?

I mean, I would definitely take him on our team. Don't get me wrong. He's great.

But maybe we should hang on to our own Barnes, Thompson, and Green and see what we can develop into.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

Maybe its weird to bump myself like this, but I wanted this thought out there for the conversation and it seems like it may be going unseen due to the page turn. Thoughts?

I think you were right in both posts! 

I have no idea how anyone could consider trading away Tatum who is shooting 46% from three as a 19 year old rookie... He's untouchable.

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Just an exercise...one that will help with the evaluation process.

Tatum for Davis.

Obviously there is filler, but who cares? Tatum for Davis.

Both transcendent players.

Now the point.

You have Tatum for the coming years for about a third of the price for Davis.

So keep Tatum and you have your "big three"...Hayward, Irving and Tatum a couple years down the road and some extra cashola for whomever.

"This" big three is the better window than trading half the team for one guy.

Regardless of what I think? Ainge might do it. Red insisted on a big with balanced offense and defense and just that got Ainge his last title.

BTW...since when is New Orleans planning on trading Davis anyway? We all know Ainge is always planning to trade everybody, but is N.O.?

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Just an exercise...one that will help with the evaluation process.

Tatum for Davis.

Now the point.

You have Tatum for the coming years for about a third of the price for Davis.

So keep Tatum and you have your "big three"...Hayward, Irving and Tatum a couple years down the road and some extra cashola for whomever.

"This" big three is the better window than trading half the team for one guy.

Regardless of what I think? Ainge might do it. Red insisted on a big with balanced offense and defense and just that got Ainge his last title.

BTW...since when is New Orleans planning on trading Davis anyway? We all know Ainge is always planning to trade everybody, but is N.O.?

Straight up? There’s no question, you do it.

The real question is the filler. Is it another top pick? A mediocre draft pick? Hordford? Morris? Rozier? Brown? What combination? That’s when it gets questionable.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Tatum for Davis.

Tatum isn’t there yet. That’s got to be factored into the equation.

I’d like to think that Paul Pierce is his most likely scenario, but is that true? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2018, 05:27:33 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the thing is, to get Davis you would have to jettison alot of talent including Tatum. If Tatum/Brown develop like they look they are going to, you could look at a team with 4-allstars and an ex-allstar in horford.

Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford is going to be scary in a year...even scarier in 2.(as long as horfords game holds up)

Plus, by the time NO is ready to trade Davis who knows how good tatum will be.