Poll

Would you?...... trade Brown, Tatum and Smart (+ fillers) for Davis?

Yes
15 (10.9%)
No
114 (82.6%)
Ask me at the trade deadline
9 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis  (Read 14953 times)

Re: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is like saying rookie Grant Hill, 3rd year Tracy McGrady, and first year Tony Allen for Anthony Davis.

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
except you have no idea if Brown and Tatum are actually going to turn into Hill and McGrady.  And frankly, I might trade a very young Hill and a young McGrady for a just about to enter his prime Davis.

Maybe in hindsight, because of Hill’s injuries and TMac’s inability to lead.

One was a scoring champ and the other was an all-around stud. Both perennial All-NBA.

That’s an awfully bold statement for a guy like Davis who hasn’t exactly done all that much other than put up some gaudy stats on terrible teams. I don’t care how young he is, zero playoff wins this deep into his career is rather lackluster.
It is, but he can't help the crappy team he was drafted to either.  I mean Garnett didn't win a playoff series until his 9th season when he was 27 and then didn't even make the playoffs again after that until year 13 when he won the title with Boston.  So one of the best PF's ever wasn't even able to lead his team to the playoffs when he was 28, 29, or 30 i.e. the prime of his career.

Grant Hill never won a playoff series in Detroit (i.e. before he was injured).  TMac didn't win a playoff game until year 4 (his 1st in Orlando) and he never won a single playoff series in his entire career (including his prime when he was playing with Yao). 

I'd rather take my chances with Davis.  The guy who is already better than Hill or McGrady ever were and who you know what he will end up as (barring injury since anyone could get hurt). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is like saying rookie Grant Hill, 3rd year Tracy McGrady, and first year Tony Allen for Anthony Davis.

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
except you have no idea if Brown and Tatum are actually going to turn into Hill and McGrady.  And frankly, I might trade a very young Hill and a young McGrady for a just about to enter his prime Davis.
And you have no idea whether Davis will turn into a deja vu of Bill Walton's career. Two can play this game.
Except we do know Davis has performed at an All NBA level (along with All Defense) for multiple seasons with a top 5 MVP finish (along with another top 10 finish) and who is still just 24 years old.
Sure. When Bill Walton was 24, he lead the NBA in blocks and rebounds and won a championship. The common thing between Walton and Davis is that they tend to miss a lot of games every season because they're banged up.
Centers always miss games though (see Shaq, the Dream, TD, etc.).  And Walton entered the league basically injured.  He was never healthy and never played more than 67 games until his 80 game 6th man season in Boston.  Walton only played 468 games in his entire career.  Davis is already at 349 and still isn't 25.  They just aren't comparable. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Tatum and Brown are keepers

Celts set for the next 10 seasons

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Davis injured for some time again with a concussion.

Starting to look injury-prone honestly.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He's probable for tomorrow.

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
no way I trade Tatum, Brown and Smart for Davis.  Next season we literally might have 5 starters playing at an all-star level.   Why should we trade two of them away when their ceilings are getting higher literally every day?

Why would NO trade Davis at this point?  They seem to be improving...

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2017, 02:19:03 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

I don't think you can say somebody is injury-prone because he is hit in his head.

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2017, 02:21:06 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Based on basketball ability, I would trade Tatum for Davis and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  If Tatum turns into 75% of the player Davis already is, we'd all be doing backflips. 

But Davis gets injured reading the menu at his favorite restaurant.  And it never ends up being major, but I'd always worry about how much basketball we'd end up getting out of him - whether those minor injuries would start to add up.  Repeat concussions are not a good thing.  That said, it wouldn't stop me from making the move.

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2017, 02:34:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

It wasn’t a concussion.  He was negative for that.

« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2017, 02:45:53 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I love me some Jayson Tatum, but let's be serious.  You wouldn't trade him for Anthony Davis?  Come on.

Obviously Davis is much better but would we a better team if we also had to trade Brown and Smart? It's more of a salary thing. If there was no salary and it didnt matter obviously you make this trade.

I think Danny is hoping the Lakers or Kings pick can net him PF/C on the same level as Brown or Tatum to help maximize talent under the salary cap.

« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
Two hall of famers for A Davis?  I'll keep the 20 year olds powering their team to the best record in the NBA thanks.
Ask Golden State who's better.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:27:32 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I love me some Jayson Tatum, but let's be serious.  You wouldn't trade him for Anthony Davis?  Come on.

Absolutely NOT.  We now have all the pieces we need to compete for championships going forward.

What’s Tatum’s upside? Granger? Pierce? PG13?

Taking emotion out of it, I’d trade any of them for Davis.

You are taking emotion AND Salary cap rules out of it though... If you want to trade for Davis and keep Horford/Hayward/Irving you have to include Smart, Brown, Morris, and Tatum. You may be able to keep either Smart or Morris but then youd be trading a combination of players like Yabusele/Nader/Rozier/Ojeleye, etc.

To be completely honest it would be better to try and add a player like Horford or Hayward with Tatum to not gut your team as much. (Obviously trading Hayward would be a PR disaster and would never happen)

My ideal trade would involve receiving a top 3 pick (Preferably #2) from LAL/SAC and offering the following...

BOS Trades:
(1) Jayson Tatum
(2) Al Horford
(3) The number #2 overall pick

NO Trades:

(1) Anthony Davis
(2) Omer Asik

If we could pull this off this summer our team would be...

(G) Irving, Smart, Rozier
(F)  Hayward, Brown, Morris, Ojeleye
(BIGS) Davis, Asik, Theis

Pretty great team.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:06:51 PM by Smokeeye123 »

« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2017, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Absolutely NOT.  We now have all the pieces we need to compete for championships going forward.

What’s Tatum’s upside? Granger? Pierce? PG13?

Taking emotion out of it, I’d trade any of them for Davis.

You are taking emotion AND Salary cap rules out of it though... If you want to trade for Davis and keep Horford/Hayward/Irving you have to include Smart, Brown, Morris, and Tatum. You may be able to keep either Smart or Morris but then youd be trading a combination of players like Yabusele/Nader/Rozier/Ojeleye, etc.

To be completely honest it would be better to try and add a player like Horford or Hayward with Tatum to not gut your team as much. (Obviously trading Hayward would be a PR disaster and would never happen)

My ideal trade would involve receiving a top 3 pick (Preferably #2) from LAL/SAC and offering the following...

BOS Trades:
(1) Jayson Tatum
(2) Al Horford
(3) The number #2 overall pick

NO Trades:

(1) Anthony Davis
(2) Omer Asik

If we could pull this off this summer our team would be...

(G) Irving, Smart, Rozier
(F)  Hayward, Brown, Morris, Ojeleye
(BIGS) Davis, Asik, Theis

Pretty great team.

I honestly don't think that makes our team better.

« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Curious: does anyone see resemblance between our situation and the Warriors a few years ago?

Remember how everyone (EVERYONE) thought that the Warriors should trade Thompson and Green or Thompson and Barnes for Kevin Love?

Kevin Love was a top 10 player at the time. He was supposed to be the new Charles Barkley. The thinking was that the Warriors would have the inside-out presence that championship teams are built on. Jerry West said no, and the Warriors went on to 3 straight championships, winning two.

Would anyone make that trade today?

Davis may be a better player, but are we sure he isn't more Kevin Love than Tim Duncan? Why don't his teams win? Why are there significant stats that question his defensive impact? Why is he playing second fiddle to Cousins now?

I mean, I would definitely take him on our team. Don't get me wrong. He's great.

But maybe we should hang on to our own Barnes, Thompson, and Green and see what we can develop into.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2017, 03:22:00 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
No way I'd trade both of them and the pick. It's gutting our future for a short 2 or 3 year window.

Tatum and filler for AD? That makes sense, but personally, I hope it never happens. The biggest thrill - at least for me - is seeing my team built from the ground up and see them growing up. Piecing together a roster and winning with other teams players has nowhere near the value to me. I didn't just love Larry Bird because he was the best player I'd ever seen, I loved him because he was ours from the start and was his whole career. I was a fan of Pierce in a way I never could have been KG.

There's also the notion of Tatum's "ceiling". What is his ceiling? IMO, he has potential to become a an elite franchise player. He has shown an offensive efficiency as a rookie that almost none ever show, and he's holding his own defensively. I don't think he has a ceiling.