Poll

Would you?...... trade Brown, Tatum and Smart (+ fillers) for Davis?

Yes
15 (10.9%)
No
114 (82.6%)
Ask me at the trade deadline
9 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author Topic: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis  (Read 14947 times)

Re: Tanguay: I might not trade Jayson Tatum for Anthony Davis
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'd like Davis but not for Tatum or Brown.  Those guys are keepers.  Period.

what about for Leonard... would you?

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
To me the trade would be:

Brown or Tatum
Smart
Morris
Baynes
LAL/SAC pick
Clippers pick

That is a king's ransom already. No way we could give up Brown AND Tatum. I would prefer to give them Brown, but I would trade either one for AD. Come on it's AD.

Starting 5 (best in basketball) would be Kyrie, Hayward, Tatum, AD, Horford. Thats ridiculous. Bench would be Rozier, Ojeleye, Theis, and Yabusele. Would need to add a couple of ring chasers next year, but good gracious.

« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
63 No and 12 Yes lol

lopsided

BUT don't forget , that there is a good chance, Smart won't be back next season

With that  comes an opportunity to do a sign and trade + Brown + future pick to get a really really good player on a digestible contract (if signed 1 or 2 years ago)

Danny saw an addition by subtraction by letting Olynyk walk....but not sure he will feel the same with Smart

OTHERWISE... in order to keep Smart at 15-17 million per season,  I can see him clearing house (meaning bye Rozier,  Yabu,  no Baynes, maybe even trade Morris)  ... and fill the roster with Semi like ready 2nd round talents. 

We will see what happens

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2017, 05:19:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
No for two reasons:

1. the cost would be too high

2. Davis' durability is a huge question mark for me.

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2017, 06:14:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd like Davis but not for Tatum or Brown.  Those guys are keepers.  Period.

what about for Leonard... would you?

No. And this is coming from someone who LOVES Leonard and actually thinks he's a tad bit underrated in this league (definitely Top-3 in my books).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
IMO, KL is the best player in the world, when healthy. And "when healthy" is becoming a bit of a factor with him. He's only played 70 games twice, and isn't going to yet again this year.

He's the best 2 way player in the game. LBJ could be a defensive stud as well, but he doesn't make that kind of effort. Leonard literally does everything well, without needing the ball in his hand constantly. His defensive effort is probably a big reason that LBJ has generally been healthy and KL has had issues. Well, that and Pachulia.

But giving up JB, JT, and a high pick for him? No way. I don't trust his durability. About there with AD as well. From watching Tatum, I think there's a very good chance we're discussing 5 years from now whether or not Tatum is in that stratosphere. He very well may be.

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Tatum is a keeper.  His ceiling has no limit.  He's already the best shooter in his rookie class from 3 point land, and this is just his first year.  He's just going to get stronger as he grows into his body, puts some weight and muscle on himself.

Just food for thought -- as of 11/15/17
Tatum is top 10 in the NBA at 3pt% at 48.9%
Tatum is top 10 in Points per shot at 1.50
Tatum is also the 8th youngest NBA player out of all active players...

Yeah, I'm not giving up on that type of talent and upside this soon in Tatum's career!

I would consider a package of Brown, the 2018 Lakers pick, and say Smart.  But I'm not giving up Tatum.

This is interesting discussion, but likely not ever going to happen though.

I like our length and athleticism with Brown at 2 and Tatum at 3.  I'm not willing to give up both of them for Davis.

Another big barrier is making salaries match.  Celtics would have to somehow get about 8-10m more in salary.  And let's say we sign someone with Gordon's exception.  Wouldn't we have to wait until we turned around and flipped that person in a trade for Davis?  Don't know if anything is even possible this year even if Pelicans were willing to deal because the Celtics are so cap strapped.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:33:12 PM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I think Tatum is a keeper, and Brown might well be too.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 10:46:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is like saying rookie Grant Hill, 3rd year Tracy McGrady, and first year Tony Allen for Anthony Davis.

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is like saying rookie Grant Hill, 3rd year Tracy McGrady, and first year Tony Allen for Anthony Davis.

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
except you have no idea if Brown and Tatum are actually going to turn into Hill and McGrady.  And frankly, I might trade a very young Hill and a young McGrady for a just about to enter his prime Davis.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
except you have no idea if Brown and Tatum are actually going to turn into Hill and McGrady.  And frankly, I might trade a very young Hill and a young McGrady for a just about to enter his prime Davis.

Maybe in hindsight, because of Hill’s injuries and TMac’s inability to lead.

One was a scoring champ and the other was an all-around stud. Both perennial All-NBA.

That’s an awfully bold statement for a guy like Davis who hasn’t exactly done all that much other than put up some gaudy stats on terrible teams. I don’t care how young he is, zero playoff wins this deep into his career is rather lackluster.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2017, 01:05:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
And you have no idea whether Davis will turn into a deja vu of Bill Walton's career. Two can play this game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2017, 01:25:54 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy

Assuming Davis is a playoff winner, I might too.

We only have space for about 3 max contracts, so that money needs to go to the best stars possible. Once those theoretical players were due for max deals we'd be in trouble, though they'd be a bargain on their rookie contracts. Guys of McGrady and Hill's caliber aren't quite good enough to form 2/3 of a championship core. Having Davis take up just one max slot would give us better cap flexibility.

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
And you have no idea whether Davis will turn into a deja vu of Bill Walton's career. Two can play this game.
Except we do know Davis has performed at an All NBA level (along with All Defense) for multiple seasons with a top 5 MVP finish (along with another top 10 finish) and who is still just 24 years old. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Nooooooooo waaaayyyyy
Except we do know Davis has performed at an All NBA level (along with All Defense) for multiple seasons with a top 5 MVP finish (along with another top 10 finish) and who is still just 24 years old.
Sure. When Bill Walton was 24, he lead the NBA in blocks and rebounds and won a championship. The common thing between Walton and Davis is that they tend to miss a lot of games every season because they're banged up.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."