Author Topic: Jaylen Brown - needs to be more creative near the hoop  (Read 2678 times)

Jaylen Brown - needs to be more creative near the hoop
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:13:01 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
It's quite remarkable how often the ball ends up in Jaylen's hands when he's near the basket. This comes about through a number of different avenues; offensive rebounding, passes, posting up, dribbling, etc.

Unfortunately, there's generally a crowd of 6'10"+ players either surrounding him or nearby. This is a tough situation to be in. Given their proximity, he's not tall enough to go through the avalanche of long arms. Even if he fakes once or twice they have the height advantage and can wait on him.

To his credit he still scores a fair number of baskets close to the rim. It's a struggle though. My feeling is he's not being creative enough. What I think he might consider, is that instead of mechanically attacking the rim each time, he should be throwing his adversaries off balance. (Tommy reflected on this when he went for a fake or two thrown by either Lowry or DeRozan and ended up committing a foul.)

I'm not a basketball wizard by any means. But, occasionally he should act like a 'Nervous Ned' under the hoop, e.g., faking passes out, throwing his body one way and passing another, fake - then quickly kiss the ball off the backboard forcing the opponent into a goal tending charge.

I purposely used the 'Nervous Ned' analogy because if it looks like he doesn't know what he's going to do, then his opponent won't know how to react. In other words if he's looking down to make a bounce pass and then instead kicks it out. The defense is thrown off balance.

FWIW: Doug Flutie had a remarkable way of confusing defenses because of his unpredictability.
I remember reading an article about how some defensive lineman did not like playing against him because they never knew what he was going to do...yes, I know it's a different sport.) 

Basically, what I'm saying he needs to be more creative under the hoop. He should still go to the hoop, but at the same time he shouldn't be totally predicable.   

Anyone else have an opinion as to what he should do in these situations?

Re: Jaylen Brown - needs to be more creative near the hoop
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All too often he goes up and plays for the foul instead of making the shot.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:52 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think he needs to do less near the rim finishing actually.  Sometimes he is doing more than he needs to.

That is kind of it all over with him to me.  I also think with ball handling, if he kept things simple he would be more effective.  He could do a lot of damage with simple hesitation type moves.  Hopefully he adds that to his game.  They involve being patient and realizing sometimes you want to slow down, that comes with time.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
With the minutes he's getting, the rook will learn.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 08:48:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don’t think you can tell someone to be more creative.  I think it can naturally happen as Brown’s bballIQ improves.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
I don’t think you can tell someone to be more creative.  I think it can naturally happen as Brown’s bballIQ improves.

Normally, I'd agree. But, he's a smart person. He likely could pick up things like hesitation moves rather quickly. Same thing with looking at various options other than simply shooting.

Maybe he could spend time letting Kyrie tutor him on what he might do if were in his shoes, e.g., simulate similar situations in a practice setting. 

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Normally, I'd agree. But, he's a smart person. He likely could pick up things like hesitation moves rather quickly. Same thing with looking at various options other than simply shooting.

Maybe he could spend time letting Kyrie tutor him on what he might do if were in his shoes, e.g., simulate similar situations in a practice setting.
Yeah, I’m sure he could learn the move pretty easily.  Using it to his benefit in game situations would take a little longer.  He learned that 360 dribble spin and performs the move nicely but he doesn’t always make things easier for himself when he does it.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:17:25 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I’m not sure it’s more complicated than: he needs to get better at finishing. I don’t think developing another move will give him a soft touch around the rim.

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Actually, he gets too creative. He needs to simplify his moves. See the seam and attack it.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
Actually, he gets too creative. He needs to simplify his moves. See the seam and attack it.

In my original post I was referring to when Jaylen already has the ball close to the basket, not when he's driving to it.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Call Brad I’m sure he would love your advice

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
21 year old, 2nd year player and he looks awesome!

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
Call Brad I’m sure he would love your advice

Kind of funny - you made me think, what would I actually say to Brad in this type of fantasy conversation?

In reality there isn't a whole lot Jaylen can do when he's near the basket surrounded by taller players. He can shoot, pass or dribble the ball out. Maybe even make a fake or two before doing anything. Could be that some of the ideas I expressed in my original post were wishful thinking on my part.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:22 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It's fairly easy to determine that Jaylens issues around the rim have to do with his lack of touch.  It's an issue that you just can't turn off. 

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Actually I would like to see him dunk more often when he is going to the rim. I think a dunk is usually. harder to block and if the opposing players think he will dunk then that will open up more fake opportunities.

I also think he will get more trips to the line from dunk attempts which is always a good thing.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku