Author Topic: People need to cool the Kyrie hype  (Read 11638 times)

Re: People need to cool the Kyrie hype
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
It depends on what kind of change you're looking for, I guess. Some folks may have pictured Kyrie coming here and trying to outscore IT, and get into the MVP race. That's not happening.

As far as counting stats, it's early and there are no obvious big changes, but the one I find interesting is 25 steals and 25 turnovers. If that ratio even half holds, it's a good omen.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 09:33:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My eyeball test:  he is defending well on-ball, which is huge for the team d. On offense, he is orchestrating a team offense more, and less of the spread high pick and roll default NBA street ball a lot of teams default to (like us last year). It seems deceptively simple, but the impact is huge.

What’s the huge impact you’re seeing offensively?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 09:40:36 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
He's played terrific basketball for the most part. Wad up stats, throw them in the garbage and watch the games. He's unquestionably an all-star, and he's playing with a bunch of strangers. No telling how good he'll be a year from now after he's had the chance to adjust to Brad's system and his teammates.

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
His offensive box plus/minus is in line with his best years in Cleveland despite the fact that he's not hitting from three right now.  His defensive box plus/minus, averaging -1.5 in his six years in Cleveland, is sitting at 1.1 - a monumental (and likely not entirely sustainable) difference. 

Sample sizes are still very small at this stage of the season, but he's playing great basketball right now.  A top 15 player in the league by most measures. 

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 09:54:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is playing better team ball. I don't know if it's system or the role he now plays. 

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 10:22:37 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Who gives a flying #### about Stats. It’s about winning and Irving is a winner !

Some of these post are ridiculous!

Just win the game!

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Who gives a flying #### about Stats. It’s about winning and Irving is a winner !

Just win the game!

LOL what? "Irving is a winner" so you're telling me there are only select few "winners" out there? What was Isaiah last year, "not a winner"?

How do you even determine that.  ???  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
*Scratching head*
Did folks expect or even want him to come to boston and Average 35.. Because you know he could, it would be to the detriment of wins and losses but he totally could..   We were afraid of him being a ballhog, coming in here looking for scoring numbers, and instead has come in and played Team ball and you can see that everything about his game has improved and yet still some of us are just not happy... Jeeze man.    The guy is playing a brand of basketball that attracts other superstars... Why cant we be happy?

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Just win the game!

LOL what? "Irving is a winner" so you're telling me there are only select few "winners" out there? What was Isaiah last year, "not a winner"?

By rings. One to nothing.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Just win the game!

Okay that's pretty ridiculous.

So by that logic, all the guys like Iman Shumpert, Matthew Dellavedova, etc. are all pure winners? You actually would think that?

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 11:09:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
12 game winning streak and people are complaining? Strange...

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Just win the game!

So by that logic, all the guys like Iman Shumpert, Matthew Dellavedova, etc. are all pure winners? You actually would think that?
to be fair Irving averaged 27/4/4 on 47/41/94 splits in the finals including a 40 point game in Golden State for a must win game 5 and then the dagger 3 in game 7.

"rings" is a dumb argument but Irving's playoff resume is unbelievable
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 11:11:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
12 game winning streak and people are complaining? Strange...
but predictable.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 11:30:42 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Since Boston players never get enough hype.   I’m glad he’s getting it and the team/Brad and Danny is getting it.   

#Celtics
Diggles

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 11:38:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Just win the game!

to be fair Irving averaged 27/4/4 on 47/41/94 splits in the finals including a 40 point game in Golden State for a must win game 5 and then the dagger 3 in game 7.

"rings" is a dumb argument but Irving's playoff resume is unbelievable

Yep, this is what I agree with.  ;D

Irving's proven playoff resume certainly gives us an advantage for the postseason. With due respect to IT and others, you never really knew what to expect going into playoff games (can this guy step up? what happens if they triple team Isaiah?). It's why we won some games big, but also got blown out of the water in others.

And I know even after Game 3's win without Isaiah, no one expected us to win the series (even us fans), but we actually did well Game 4. But Kyrie absolutely took over and pretty much single-handedly took away any chance of tying the series and coming back.