Author Topic: People need to cool the Kyrie hype  (Read 11627 times)

People need to cool the Kyrie hype
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Hear me out!

I love how Kyrie is functioning in our offence and I think he is only going to improve, but pundits and fans alike have been raving about how much Irving has changed this season but if you look at his statistics this year in comparison to his career they are almost identical.

Career: 21.6 PPG 3.4 RPG 5.5 AST / 45.6 FG% 38.1 FG3%  87.3 FT%
17/18: 20.3 PPG 3.1 RPG 5.2 AST / 44.4 FG% 32.1 FG3%  88.4 FT%

Kyrie seems much more engaged on defence but his steals averages have only slightly increased from 1.3 career to 1.9 so it hasn't been the dramatic change that the media's narrative has spun.

Re: People need to cool the Kyrie hype
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I agree. Let sports media tell it, and you'd think Kyrie was putting up MVP type numbers the way people rave about him like he's the sole reason for Boston's success this season. Dude is shooting under 30% from 3 his last 5 games (not including the Hornets game). His play has been pretty underwhelming thus far but it speaks to the depth and resilience of this ball club more than anything. Once Kyrie's shot comes back, the team will be on another level offensively.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Steals is not the only defensive statistic. You are completely ignoring all actual defensive  stats

“It's not just the steals or Boston's defensive rating when Irving is on the court, it's his obvious effort and desire to contribute on that end of the floor.

In his six seasons in Cleveland, Irving held an average defensive rating of 106.9. Through 11 games with Boston, that number is down 11.4 points to 95.5, even lower than Boston's league-best rating of 95.9.”

“Kyrie Irving is putting up some of the best individual numbers of his career this season. Here's a look at his career defensive rating via NBA data, as well as his points allowed per possession via Synergy Sports data.” http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21329484/kyrie-irving-boston-celtics-flat-dominating-defense

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:35:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, agree, but I think it's encouraging to see Kyrie having this kind of impact DESPITE not shooting that well to start the season, and his defense I'll admit is definitely a big upgrade from Isaiah's "defense" last season, so that's a bit of a difference.

And this is coming from someone who hated that Kyrie trade 1.5 months ago.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:38:39 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It's definitely a combo of things.

Kyrie gets much praise from me, but Jaylen has stepped up his game, Jayson is playing like a 1st team All-Rookie, Big Al is even more engaged and - while seemingly having more fun this year he is ALSO playing like a man on a mission...

Add in Aron playing the role of Kendrick Perkins, Marcus Morris' timely arrival and production, Theis coming out of nowhere to produce and the rest of the bench playing well and we've had a perfect storm.

And Coach Stevens doesn't get enough credit and never will - and I believe he WANTS it like that.

It would've been acceptable for this team to be only 6-8 or worse after Hayward went down but Coach Stevens wasn't having it.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 07:44:53 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Hear me out!

I love how Kyrie is functioning in our offence and I think he is only going to improve, but pundits and fans alike have been raving about how much Irving has changed this season but if you look at his statistics this year in comparison to his career they are almost identical.

Kyrie seems much more engaged on defence but his steals averages have only slightly increased from 1.3 career to 1.9 so it hasn't been the dramatic change that the media's narrative has spun.

I disagree, And this is from someone who loves Isaiah Thomas.

He is trending towards being a much more complete plater now.

And 1.3 to 1.9 is a 50% increase. That's pretty substantial.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Last year, it was Isaiah Thomas who gets the all the credit for Celtic's success. Brad Steven wasn't even considered a top 3 coach and that was blasphemous.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Who are the people and why should they cool it exactly?

So far career high in net rating, scoring coming as advertised, clutch scoring coming as advertised, and defense is better than advertised.

+14 net rating and a DRtg of 97 might be unsustainable but even with some regression he is still a better option than supernova Isaiah last year who may never hit that level again.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 08:10:54 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Hear me out!

Hear me out!

You are posting raw numbers, and the hype is about defense, which the advance stats show. 1.3-1.9 seem like a low number until you realize that its almost a 50% improvement in a stat that doesnt have big numbers.

His offense hasn't looked too fluid yet, and that will come in time. He's posting similar numbers but with lower USG, which means its more efficient. But his defense has been real, even though we dont know if it will hold on. Goes to show how bad IT and Kyrie's defense was last year. Heck even Cavs fans are noticing his D and are p---ed.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I think he's just getting the recognition he moved for in the first place.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He’s been over-hyped as the savior of our team, but I’m happy with his performance overall. The shooting will come. And, in fairness, those are per-game averages and he only played 2 minutes in one of the games.

But, yes, his offense hasn’t been great yet, and the team offense has regressed a bit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It’s tougher to shoot well when actually playing defense.  Hopefully those 3’s will start to drop though.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Hear me out!

I disagree, And this is from someone who loves Isaiah Thomas.

He is trending towards being a much more complete plater now.

And 1.3 to 1.9 is a 50% increase. That's pretty substantial.

Yeah, and his defense as a whole has been much better than this stat lets on.

Plus, I don't think he's even played that well offensively for himself yet either. I think his shot will start hitting better, especially from beyond the arc, and he'll improve even more moving forward.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Actually it is a post like this that makes me actually join the conversation and say, Hell no! it is time to start the Kyrie hype!! So thanks for bringing it up! I love the way Kyrie is playing! I have actually been pleasantly surprised with Kyrie's all around game!
So thanks and let's start the Hype!!

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
My eyeball test:  he is defending well on-ball, which is huge for the team d. On offense, he is orchestrating a team offense more, and less of the spread high pick and roll default NBA street ball a lot of teams default to (like us last year). It seems deceptively simple, but the impact is huge.