Author Topic: What if...Celtics get the 1st pick in the 2016 draft  (Read 4407 times)

Re: What if...Celtics get the 1st pick in the 2016 draft
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 11:30:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
C's woukd have drafted Simmons and probably would have made a trade last year at the deadline because Simmons would have given the C's a much better shot last year, enough so that Ainge would have gone all in last year.

Are we assuming he would not have sat out the year if he were drafted by the Celtics?

Separately from that, I understand its popular to not be enamored with other teams prospects but Simmons is, even without an outside shot, the clear best prospect from that draft. He's incredible, you folks need to watch more 76ers games if you're low on him.
He didn't enter the draft hurt, so yeah I'm assuming he wouldn't have gotten hurt and sat out the year.  He obviously still might have, but it certainly shouldn't be assumed since he got hurt in a Sixers team scrimmage.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
1st overall pick makes 6.1 million, 3rd makes 4.95. Not sure how that equates into the Bradley/Marcus trades or subsequent moves thereafter. I remember it was close.

I think saltlover meant that Ainge would have found a way to keep Avery because they wouldn't have had Jaylen to step in as their two way guard replacement.

Do you think DA still makes the Irving trade?

My point was to sign Hayward we needed to cut salary. With the 1st overall pick, whomever that may have been, they would've needed to clear even more salary and I'm not sure the salary they cleared in the Bradley trade would've done it.

Do we still do the Kyrie trade? 100%. Not a doubt in my mind.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Nothing is ever certain, especially with DA. I am almost certain he would have taken Simmons. At this point the best player from the last two drafts. I would have Tatum at two, he will get closer as he matures too. Long run though Simmons looks to have the greatest potential from the last two drafts.

Good thing we could have had both. We wouldn't have JB as Simmons is from his draft.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
“What if” scenarios are fun, But I don’t think you can assume massively different injury scenarios

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
“What if” scenarios are fun, But I don’t think you can assume massively different injury scenarios
why?  He was 100% healthy and got hurt in a freak injury in a scrimmage.  This wasn't a pre-existing thing that at some point was going to give out.  Now sure maybe he still has the Jones fracture on a different team in a different scenario, but I think that just seems unlikely. 

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
why?  He was 100% healthy and got hurt in a freak injury in a scrimmage.  This wasn't a pre-existing thing that at some point was going to give out.  Now sure maybe he still has the Jones fracture on a different team in a different scenario, but I think that just seems unlikely.

Frankly because it makes debate impossible if you can take that many liberties with reality.

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

Frankly because it makes debate impossible if you can take that many liberties with reality.

I mean, with just as much confidence you could say “ if simmons played for us he would have blown out his achilles and never lived up to his draft hype” or “if  he played for us he wouldnt have been injured and in fact he would have saved wear and tear on IT and even more he would have juked lebron so bad he tore his acl and we end up in the finals.”

If you are going to change injury history, its just too much butterfly effect stuff.

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Then Ainge wouldn't have gone after Gordon Hayward, and paid Avery Bradley and those guys.

IDK about that IT4 situation though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
GS has so many great player s , not sure how you match em up without going over the cap.   Aren't most contenders all ready there or on the brink .    suppose its what you do to win a banner , until NBA puts a hard cap with no exceptions period . ....get the best and win

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

no it doesn't. The reality is if Simmons isn't in that particular practice at that particular time he doesn't get hurt