Author Topic: What if...Celtics get the 1st pick in the 2016 draft  (Read 4408 times)

What if...Celtics get the 1st pick in the 2016 draft
« on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I still wonder if Celtics got the first pick, 76ers 2nd and Lakers the 3rd in that draft, how much everybody's fate could have changed. Brown actually seems like the perfect Stevens guy similar to Kawhi Leonard in Pop's system but I wonder how different the Celtics would operate if they got Simmons? Stevens is a coaching genius but I wonder if the team would still function the way it does now or more revolved around Simmons passing. With the second pick Philly most probably picks Ingram and 'the process' looks much more of a failure than now. Lakers luck into picking Brown who would be their best player and almost guaranteed 2016 rookie of the year and may have saved Mitch Kupchak's job. If you look further into the Celtics future, does Danny still make the Irving trade given Simmons is a primary ball handler and does Kyrie want to come given he is a Lebron clone?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:15:36 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: What if...Celtics get the 1st pick in the 2016 draft
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Then Boston trades down again the way they did in the last draft. DA is not very enamored with Simmons as good as he has been right now...there were red flags when he came out and Jaylen who was very raw and so was Ingram...maybe DA tries to get Ingram and extraxt anymore asset...really it would be diffrent the qay it all turned out but Im not complaining...Never been a Simmons guy myself.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Then Boston trades down again the way they did in the last draft. DA is not very enamored with Simmons as good as he has been right now...there were red flags when he came out and Jaylen who was very raw and so was Ingram...maybe DA tries to get Ingram and extraxt anymore asset...really it would be diffrent the qay it all turned out but Im not complaining...Never been a Simmons guy myself.

i'm not so sure we will do the same thing. I feel if we had the 2016 1st, we would've drafted Simmons

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Celtics would have selected Simmons and would be a different but better team.  I love Jaylen and think he has a stellar career ahead of him, but Simmons can do so much more, even if jump shooting is not currently on that list.

But it would be a different team.  Can’t imagine they’d have traded Bradley, for example.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I think we might have drafted Brown anyway. Simmons is a rich man's Evan Turner.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think we might have drafted Brown anyway. Simmons is a rich man's Evan Turner.

Considering Turner is currently on the TrailBlazers, which has one of the richest owners in the NBA (Paul Allen), Simmons would be a very, very, very rich man’s Evan Turner.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
C's woukd have drafted Simmons and probably would have made a trade last year at the deadline because Simmons would have given the C's a much better shot last year, enough so that Ainge would have gone all in last year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:40:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If DA passed on Simmons it would have been for Ingram, not Brown. I still think Ingram is a better prospect than Brown.

That said, I think DA probably drafts Simmons.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
1st overall pick makes 6.1 million, 3rd makes 4.95. Not sure how that equates into the Bradley/Marcus trades or subsequent moves thereafter. I remember it was close.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
It's hard to argue against Simmons being the best prospect. He's been great so far.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
The Celtics would have selected Simmons and would be a different but better team.  I love Jaylen and think he has a stellar career ahead of him, but Simmons can do so much more, even if jump shooting is not currently on that list.

But it would be a different team.  Can’t imagine they’d have traded Bradley, for example.

Simmons will handle the ball and AB can guard PGs.

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:22:05 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
1st overall pick makes 6.1 million, 3rd makes 4.95. Not sure how that equates into the Bradley/Marcus trades or subsequent moves thereafter. I remember it was close.

I think saltlover meant that Ainge would have found a way to keep Avery because they wouldn't have had Jaylen to step in as their two way guard replacement.

Do you think DA still makes the Irving trade?

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 12:34:41 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I think saltlover meant that Ainge would have found a way to keep Avery because they wouldn't have had Jaylen to step in as their two way guard replacement.

Do you think DA still makes the Irving trade?

No, he wouldn't have traded for Kyrie. Simmons is going to be a better PG than Lonzo, Markelle, Dennis Smith, etc. If they had the #1 pick, Danny would have picked Simmons and started him on Day 1 when healthy.

I think they wouldn't have traded Avery this year if they didn't pick up Kyrie's big salary.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 04:27:02 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Nothing is ever certain, especially with DA. I am almost certain he would have taken Simmons. At this point the best player from the last two drafts. I would have Tatum at two, he will get closer as he matures too. Long run though Simmons looks to have the greatest potential from the last two drafts.

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
C's woukd have drafted Simmons and probably would have made a trade last year at the deadline because Simmons would have given the C's a much better shot last year, enough so that Ainge would have gone all in last year.

Are we assuming he would not have sat out the year if he were drafted by the Celtics?

Separately from that, I understand its popular to not be enamored with other teams prospects but Simmons is, even without an outside shot, the clear best prospect from that draft. He's incredible, you folks need to watch more 76ers games if you're low on him.