Author Topic: IT coming back early?  (Read 10890 times)

Re: IT coming back early?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 05:54:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I.T. looked like he was moving very well last night bouncing around cheering on his teammates.  He even picked up a technical foul from the bench.  I can't believe it will be to much longer before he returns.

How close do you think cheering on an NBA bench and playing NBA Basketball are?
He wasn't just sitting there.  He was jumping up in the air and acting/moving like he wasn't even injured.  It may very well be another 4-6 weeks to get back in game shape who knows, but the way he was moving was very encouraging for a return sooner than originally thought.

Anyone on this forum could probably jump around on the bench and probably none of us are going to be running around on the floor. Obviously it is a better sign than him being in a wheel chair, but it seems like a really strange reason to believe he is any closer or further to returning.

Wow.  Or... how about we just accept that The Oracle was just trying to say the guy looked healthier than he expected?   I don't think he offered it up as a full-scan physical examination.

I honestly wasn't trying to be rude to Oracle (and apologies to him and you also if it came off that way). I have been just discussing basketball on forums for about 20 years and it was one of the first times I heard somebody say something like "that injured guy was really celebrating on the bench last night I bet he is not really that injured now and will be back soon." I found it to be a pretty humorous statement.

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I.T. looked like he was moving very well last night bouncing around cheering on his teammates.  He even picked up a technical foul from the bench.  I can't believe it will be to much longer before he returns.

He wasn't just sitting there.  He was jumping up in the air and acting/moving like he wasn't even injured.  It may very well be another 4-6 weeks to get back in game shape who knows, but the way he was moving was very encouraging for a return sooner than originally thought.

Anyone on this forum could probably jump around on the bench and probably none of us are going to be running around on the floor. Obviously it is a better sign than him being in a wheel chair, but it seems like a really strange reason to believe he is any closer or further to returning.

Wow.  Or... how about we just accept that The Oracle was just trying to say the guy looked healthier than he expected?   I don't think he offered it up as a full-scan physical examination.

I honestly wasn't trying to be rude to Oracle (and apologies to him and you also if it came off that way). I have been just discussing basketball on forums for about 20 years and it was one of the first times I heard somebody say something like "that injured guy was really celebrating on the bench last night I bet he is not really that injured now and will be back soon." I found it to be a pretty humorous statement.
For a guy that was by all reports struggling with some of his rehab in a swimming pool just a short time ago to now be jumping around like that???  Both the Cavs and I.T. are comfortable enough with his progress to allow for him to be acting in such a manner?  How do you not see that as at least a somewhat positive sign as to how his rehab is going and possible earlier than expected return?  Do you not want his "spaghetti hip" to heal?

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
“Thomas could make things worse, if that’s even possible. At 5-foot-9, he’s one of the worst defensive guards in the NBA. The Celtics did everything they could to hide him on defense, and hip surgery could make him less mobile than he was last season. Thomas and Love played on the same AAU team in high school, but they will be tough to play together in the NBA. A lineup with Thomas at the 1 and Love at the 5 could be historically bad on defense.”

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

For a guy that was by all reports struggling with some of his rehab in a swimming pool just a short time ago to now be jumping around like that???  Both the Cavs and I.T. are comfortable enough with his progress to allow for him to be acting in such a manner?  How do you not see that as at least a somewhat positive sign as to how his rehab is going and possible earlier than expected return?  Do you not want his "spaghetti hip" to heal?

I honestly really like IT a lot. It seems like he is a pretty good overall and he really embraced the city of Boston. My biggest fear with him would be that he has/is getting bad advice regarding his injury because he wants to get that massive paycheck after being underpaid his whole career. At some point i hope we find out what really happened with his injury and if there was a connection to our medical staff getting fired. But to answer your question, I certainly want it to heal for him. I just hope he doesn't rush back and ruin his career.

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It doesn't matter

on a random note, anybody else remember this? lol

gary washburn ✔@GwashburnGlobe
Mexican reporter asked Isaiah Thomas about NBA heydays of1980s when his father Isiah played. Thomas politely answered the question #Celtics
4:08 PM - Dec 2, 2015 · Oakland, CA

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 07:01:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I sincerely hope, for his sake, that he didn't play through injury for the better of the franchise.  Certainly possible that he was knowingly playing for his payday, too.  We won't know.  But I imagine his next contract is going to be much less than he had hoped. 

CLE could still be dangerous with him.  LeBron isn't going to let his team fall in the playoffs without a serious fight.  And they honestly have no reason to care about their seeding, just like the past several seasons.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I look forward to seeing The Little Guy prove the naysayers wrong again.  Let's see if he and LeBron can find a way to make things more difficult for GSW in the Finals.

That will be tough seeing how they won't BE in the finals.

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 07:22:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I look forward to seeing The Little Guy prove the naysayers wrong again.  Let's see if he and LeBron can find a way to make things more difficult for GSW in the Finals.

With LeBron, it's hard to believe that.  Hope that's not the case.  But if BOS made the Finals without Hayward, I'd imagine they will be legitimate contenders the following season.  Esp if GSW can't find a way to keep that dynasty together. 

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:26 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

With LeBron, it's hard to believe that.  Hope that's not the case.  But if BOS made the Finals without Hayward, I'd imagine they will be legitimate contenders the following season.  Esp if GSW can't find a way to keep that dynasty together.
Despite rumors to the contrary, it takes more than one player. Plus, at the rate they're having to use LeBron this year, he'll be dead by March.

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Despite rumors to the contrary, it takes more than one player. Plus, at the rate they're having to use LeBron this year, he'll be dead by March.

Could be.  His durability is reaching a level of strangeness imo.  Don''t see any one touching GSW anyway. 

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Isaiah Thomas participated in full-court five-on-zero offensive drills Sunday, marking the first time he has practiced with his teammates in that manner since he was acquired from the Boston Celtics in a trade involving Kyrie Irving in August.

Thomas, who is still recovering from a torn labrum in his right hip, told Cleveland.com that Sunday was the "hardest I've run" during the rehabilitation process and he "felt good for the most part" afterward.

Cavs coach Tyronn Lue said Thomas could have done more Sunday, but the court at Cass Technical High School in Detroit where the team practiced was too slick, and they did not want to risk it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Isaiah Thomas participated in full-court five-on-zero offensive drills Sunday, marking the first time he has practiced with his teammates in that manner since he was acquired from the Boston Celtics in a trade involving Kyrie Irving in August.

Thomas, who is still recovering from a torn labrum in his right hip, told Cleveland.com that Sunday was the "hardest I've run" during the rehabilitation process and he "felt good for the most part" afterward.

Cavs coach Tyronn Lue said Thomas could have done more Sunday, but the court at Cass Technical High School in Detroit where the team practiced was too slick, and they did not want to risk it.

"For the most part" is important. Will he ever play without pain and swelling again?

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2017, 09:58:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

"For the most part" is important. Will he ever play without pain and swelling again?

Also a bright idea to have IT have his hardest workout on a [technical] high school court away from home that was evidently 'slick'. Seems like they could have waited until the team got back to the practice facility for a hard run. Glad he is mostly okay, but am perfectly happy with him not being at full strength until this summer.

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/cavs/cavs-isaiah-thomas-continues-make-strides-rehab

Looks like he is not only shooting, not only running, but also is shuffling side to side and taking light contact from the Cavs staff. 

Looks like he may be back in December if he keeps up this sort of progression without setback.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip