Author Topic: Raptors (7-4) at Celtics (11-2) Game #14 11/12/17  (Read 33574 times)

Re: Raptors (7-4) at Celtics (11-2) Game #14 11/12/17
« Reply #330 on: November 12, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is a really typical Marcus Smart game. Their guards are crushing ours. No real defense to speak of. Also he's doing nothing notable on offense. The front court is doing all the work.

But the game is within a point, so all he really needs to do is in the last minute get a critical steal, then rebound and hit a three and he's the hero. Give him a huge contract.

Rozier can do what he does for less money.

Ignorant. You just simply have no idea what you're talking about, do you? Marcus and Brown have both played excellent defense, yet Lowry is hitting ridiculous shots from way downtown despite their good D. But that's somehow their fault, huh?
Let me get this straight. Lowry is making ridiculous shots. Therefore Marcus is playing great defense. That's a very interesting theory. I call it the Marcus-can-do-no-wrong Theory.

That's a non-sequitor. Lowry was hitting ridiculous shots. The fact that he had to take ridiculous shots is good team defense.

Smart ended the game with 14, 9, 5, and 2, with 2 TOs, and a +11 net rating.
Lowry ended the game with 19, 7, 2, and 1, with 3 TOs, and a -4 net rating.

You'd be hard-pressed to argue that Smart was "crushed."
How'd Rozier do?  Pretty good right? Did you notice that nice 4 point play at the end of the half to keep the game way closer and grab some momentum? 

So why should Smart be paid so much more than Rozier?

Rozier can do what Smart can do and for way less money.  And without generally crippling the offense.

Btw......those stat lines.  Why don't you add the shooting numbers so people can see that too?
If you think rozier's defense is anywhere near smarts you are crazy.. he plays matador defense constantly and doesn't have the same grit as Marcus. And nevermind when he gets switched onto anyone besides a pg, he just gives up.
Terry Rozier plays matador defense now. Wow.

« Reply #331 on: November 12, 2017, 06:48:50 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Their backcourt of DeRozan, Lowry, and Powell were a combined:

15-35 (43%) with 49 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and 7 TOs

Smart, Brown, and Rozier were a combined:

17-40 (43%) with 48 points, 15 assists, 14 rebounds, 5 steals, 0 blocks, and 5 TOs.

Our backup backcourt was just crushed by the star-ridden backcourt in Toronto.
Smart single handedly kept those shooting numbers down.  Per usual.

It's not that Smart is bad or that he's bad all the time. It's that Rozier can do what he does and for less money

You and I wouldn't disagree on that point (although I'm not as sold as you are).

Again, what I'm saying is that your bias against Smart is showing. He played well tonight against an All-star point guard and matched him at most turns. That's impressive.

« Reply #332 on: November 12, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Their backcourt of DeRozan, Lowry, and Powell were a combined:

15-35 (43%) with 49 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, and 7 TOs

Smart, Brown, and Rozier were a combined:

17-40 (43%) with 48 points, 15 assists, 14 rebounds, 5 steals, 0 blocks, and 5 TOs.

Our backup backcourt was just crushed by the star-ridden backcourt in Toronto.
Smart single handedly kept those shooting numbers down.  Per usual.

It's not that Smart is bad or that he's bad all the time. It's that Rozier can do what he does and for less money

You and I wouldn't disagree on that point (although I'm not as sold as you are).

Again, what I'm saying is that your bias against Smart is showing. He played well tonight against an All-star point guard and matched him at most turns. That's impressive.
I want to point out my criticism of Smart was of the first half. The whole team played a lot worse in the first half and a lot better in the second half. He definitely did some good things tonight He frequently does

« Reply #333 on: November 12, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Marcus Smart is this generations DJ
Great defense, good passing, great team player, offense fair until game is on the line

Intangibles

That is a great comp.   Of course, Marcus has a long way to go to make this a career comp, but defensively he's already more intense and stronger, and offensively he has some of the traits that made DJ a great complimentary offensive player.   DJ couldn't shoot the 3 (and therefore didn't), but he drove he ball well, had great BBIQ, and he was clutch.  Marcus has shown evidence of a clutch gene, he has a decent handle and can see the court -- passes well if not sometimes a little out of control.   Like DJ he is a good rebounder at guard and like DJ he is a "sort of" point guard.  Neither are prototypical PGs -- more defensive minded combo guards with average (DJ) and below average (MS) shooting skills.

Larry Bird said DJ was the best player he played with.  I don't think Marcus is destined for such praise by a legend, but I would bet that most guys he plays with are glad to hae him on the court with them -- though I also bet they cringe when the 3 flies.

« Reply #334 on: November 12, 2017, 06:57:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Was a thrilling win to be certain!

« Reply #335 on: November 12, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Great defense, good passing, great team player, offense fair until game is on the line

Intangibles

That is a great comp.   Of course, Marcus has a long way to go to make this a career comp, but defensively he's already more intense and stronger, and offensively he has some of the traits that made DJ a great complimentary offensive player.   DJ couldn't shoot the 3 (and therefore didn't), but he drove he ball well, had great BBIQ, and he was clutch.  Marcus has shown evidence of a clutch gene, he has a decent handle and can see the court -- passes well if not sometimes a little out of control.   Like DJ he is a good rebounder at guard and like DJ he is a "sort of" point guard.  Neither are prototypical PGs -- more defensive minded combo guards with average (DJ) and below average (MS) shooting skills.

Larry Bird said DJ was the best player he played with.  I don't think Marcus is destined for such praise by a legend, but I would bet that most guys he plays with are glad to hae him on the court with them -- though I also bet they cringe when the 3 flies.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Marcus had played in that era and DJ had played in this one the conversations are kinda reversed.

« Reply #336 on: November 12, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
And when is the last time you saw a standard play of a point guard on the box posting up!

And in no way am i saying Marcus is at level DJ was, I was a big fan of DJ pre Celtic days as a sonic.  We much like tiny got to see a past prime player who was still great

« Reply #337 on: November 12, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Looks like another great game from our back-up PGs -- Smart and Rozier, with another healthy dose of Brown carrying the offense.  I'm starting to wonder if there's any drop off between our starting PG play and this incredible bench production.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #338 on: November 12, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
Don't freak out - Not criticizing, just asking.

Was it normal and OK with the team players/coaches/Danny/Owners that Irving did not attend the game today ?? I know there was something about seeing a doc for a protective mask, but that could have been done yesterday.

(forgive me if this topic was discussed earlier)
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #339 on: November 12, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Raptors fans kinda bent out of shape over on realgm.   ;D

If ...i didn't know better .....

Why I'd say they didn't like us .... ;)

« Reply #340 on: November 12, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Holy Cow!!!!!! 12

Brown with good D.  Tatum keeps it alive and Smart snares it.

TP for that observation.

Tatum saved that game.

That 'bound was destined for Ibaka for an easy two and/or a foul.

Tatum scrapping kept it from Ibaka and gave Marcus a chance to grab it.

Couldn't see that clearly from some angles, but that is what happened.

Great win!!!!!

« Reply #341 on: November 12, 2017, 07:12:44 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Anyone else watching the postgame coverage see the list in the C's locker room titled "We WILL" that starts with sprinting to defensive sets? Has the whole thing been written about here or in any article?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #342 on: November 12, 2017, 07:15:01 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

Intangibles

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Marcus had played in that era and DJ had played in this one the conversations are kinda reversed.

DJ was a finals MVP, 5 time all star, and all NBA once. I like Smart and I have compared him favorably to DJ myself but MS has a long way to go before he is anywhere close to DJ.

« Reply #343 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I think Smart is that good on defense.  His offense needs to be consistent.  He often is really great passing but even still needs to bring a bit more consistently.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #344 on: November 12, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Celtics have won 12 straight since Kyrie Irving told a 76ers fan to "suck" one lol.

I seriously doubt this factors into winning
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"