Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 36733 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, I'm all set with JDM at this point. How could he possibly be frustrated with the team that is already offering him [by far] the best deal?? That is asinine and is showing why he is certainly not a personality I want in our clubhouse. He has bad FA signing written all over him so if we instead need to make a deal using one or two of our young guys, then I would rather that route.

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, I'm all set with JDM at this point. How could he possibly be frustrated with the team that is already offering him [by far] the best deal?? That is asinine and is showing why he is certainly not a personality I want in our clubhouse. He has bad FA signing written all over him so if we instead need to make a deal using one or two of our young guys, then I would rather that route.

Exactly. TP.

Like if he signs with us. Great! If not, then Great too!

But honestly, I think if Boras wasn't his agent, then he would have signed by now. Boras is holding back a lot of his players/clients, and it's hurting the market too. Hell, Hosmer has 140M+ offers from two teams, but hasn't signed yet, which is surprising since honestly, he should probably feel lucky to even be getting those offers when JDM > Hosmer. But I guess Boras thinks he's a 200M player...  ::) ::) ::)

That said, I think the Sox will soon need to choose a direction and stick with it. Like, if Spring Training arrives and JDM still hasn't signed while you see other names getting signed, then MOVE ON. And that also hurts JDM, because if rumors are true that no one else is offering him a deal of 100M+, then frankly, the Red Sox hold most of the cards here, and JDM could actually lose a lot of money (which isn't wise for him).

But I agree, if JDM himself explicitly said he's "fed up", then that's a red flag to me. Makes me sour on him as well. I want to hope that maybe that's something one of his reps said or even Boras leaked, or something and not JDM, but idk...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2018, 09:00:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Exactly. TP.

But honestly, I think if Boras wasn't his agent, then he would have signed by now. Boras is holding back a lot of his players/clients, and it's hurting the market too. Hell, Hosmer has 140M+ offers from two teams, but hasn't signed yet, which is surprising since honestly, he should probably feel lucky to even be getting those offers when JDM > Hosmer. But I guess Boras thinks he's a 200M player...  ::) ::) ::)

That said, I think the Sox will soon need to choose a direction and stick with it. Like, if Spring Training arrives and JDM still hasn't signed while you see other names getting signed, then MOVE ON. And that also hurts JDM, because if rumors are true that no one else is offering him a deal of 100M+, then frankly, the Red Sox hold most of the cards here, and JDM could actually lose a lot of money (which isn't wise for him).

But I agree, if JDM himself explicitly said he's "fed up", then that's a red flag to me. Makes me sour on him as well. I want to hope that maybe that's something one of his reps said or even Boras leaked, or something and not JDM, but idk...

TP back to you for keeping CB updated on recent Sox news. Reportedly these frustrations are coming from JD himself.

As first reported by Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, Martinez has told people in Miami that he is willing to “hold out” into spring training until he receives a fair offer for his services. Martinez reportedly received a five-year, $125 million from Boston.

Along with this, Martinez “is telling people that he is fed up with the Red Sox’s inflexibility and would rather sign with another club,” according to Rosenthal’s sources.

But I suppose it could be something that is being leaked. Still, if another team isn't interested in going higher and the Red Sox have the best offer, then he just needs to take the deal and not have the first impression of Boston and its fans be that Martinez is a pouty, self-entitled jerk.

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Exactly. TP.

TP back to you for keeping CB updated on recent Sox news. Reportedly these frustrations are coming from JD himself.

As first reported by Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, Martinez has told people in Miami that he is willing to “hold out” into spring training until he receives a fair offer for his services. Martinez reportedly received a five-year, $125 million from Boston.

Along with this, Martinez “is telling people that he is fed up with the Red Sox’s inflexibility and would rather sign with another club,” according to Rosenthal’s sources.

But I suppose it could be something that is being leaked. Still, if another team isn't interested in going higher and the Red Sox have the best offer, then he just needs to take the deal and not have the first impression of Boston and its fans be that Martinez is a pouty, self-entitled jerk.

I don't doubt the report by Ken Rosenthal, but Jon Heyman is actually a Boras puppet.

The guy reported that AZ has made an offer of 100M+ for JDM, which was quickly refuted by a ton of others and was believed to have been leaked by Boras himself to try and drive up the Red Sox price. Heyman has a history of helping out Boras in this sense.

Even Josh Donaldson ripped him apart a few days ago after Heyman apparently made the claim he's seeking a "massive payday" and the idea of changing teams or something like that.

If Rosenthal says it was from JDM himself, I'd believe it. If it's being echoed from what Heyman says, then I'd lean towards doubting it lol.

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
It's done:

https://twitter.com/pedrogomezESPN/status/965711062212358144

Details have yet to be announced, but Sox and Martinez were finally able to agree to terms.

EDIT: Deal is for 5 years / $110M is front loaded and includes an opt-out after year 2. Pretty big signing if you are a Sox fan - and less than the $125M that was reportedly offered earlier on (not true, I guess). Hopefully he can perform better than pretty much all of our other recent FA signings (shouldn't be too difficult).

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/965714796288073729
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:39:44 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2018, 05:45:44 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
It's done:

Details have yet to be announced, but Sox and Martinez were finally able to agree to terms.

EDIT: Deal is for 5 years / $110M is front loaded and includes an opt-out after year 2. Pretty big signing if you are a Sox fan - and less than the $125M that was reportedly offered earlier on (not true, I guess). Hopefully he can perform better than pretty much all of our other recent FA signings (shouldn't be too difficult).

Steal. DD played this perfectly.

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It's done:

Steal. DD played this perfectly.

He absolutely did! As frustrating as the wait was, at the end it was all worth it.

LOL Boras... thought JDM could get 7/210M and yet two months later he signs for 100M less.

Anyways, glad we got him! He's not better than Stanton BUT is no scrub either, and has been one of the best hitters in baseball the last 3-4 years. At 5/110M in today's MLB, that could be a steal if he performs.  ;D

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Thank you, collusion.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So if things go well it’s a 2 year, $50 million deal. That’s fair enough.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2018, 06:03:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

I just saw that. If things go well, the Sox only have him for two years, but then what? Are we going to have to sign him for $30M/yr? At that point I suppose he will be older and maybe other teams won't be so eager to sign him to a long-term deal, but I would prefer the Sox have a little more control over their big FA signing.

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2018, 06:07:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I just saw that. If things go well, the Sox only have him for two years, but then what? Are we going to have to sign him for $30M/yr? At that point I suppose he will be older and maybe other teams won't be so eager to sign him to a long-term deal, but I would prefer the Sox have a little more control over their big FA signing.

I don't think anyone will be offering him $30M/year in 2020.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm not sure the Red Sox are interested in him past 2 years. This is a very good deal for the Sox.

Going forward, I hope they concentrate all of their energy on bringing our pitching back to life. They need to get Price and Porcello back into top form, and they need to manage Sale's workload. No strikeout records needed this year. Sale, Price, and Porcello are good enough if they're performing to their abilities.

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thank you, collusion.
Exactly. When the players union ends up winning their lawsuit against the owners, JD should be getting a bunch more money.

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2018, 07:49:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

But therein is the rub. If he does great after two years, then the Sox either pay a lot more of lose him. And if he absolutely is miserable or mediocre, then they are stuck with him for another two years.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Thank you, collusion.
Exactly. When the players union ends up winning their lawsuit against the owners, JD should be getting a bunch more money.

It's interesting...

I'm generally pretty suspicious of collusion and just assume the owners are shady, but I have to wonder if this is true. It might just be a tipping point of front offices using analytics combined with the structure of MLBs current CBA.

In general, the MLBPA struck a relatively favorable deal for themselves in terms of collecting a large portion of money and funneling it to the veterans, who were represented by the union, at the expense of up and comers. As such, you get players entering their first truly unrestricted free agency bonanza at age 28-32. Subsequently, we've just seen boatloads of 6 year 150+million dollar contracts look terrible within 0-2 years! Just think about the Sox with Adrian (trade, I know, but...), Carl Crawford, Hanley, Panda, etc. And I think with more saavy fans and front office analytics we're just past the point you can justify paying a legend like Albert Pujols 27, 28, and 29 million the next 3 years at age 38-40. Just 10-15 years ago, you might look at it and say "it's Pujols, he's a legend, still putting up 23 homers and 101 RBI!" and be satisfied. But for 26 million these days, it's safe to say you want more that Minus 1.8 WAR.

So, I do wonder if it's just gotten to the point that front offices are sick of bidding against themselves for the the pleasure of paying the most money for the worst years of someone's career.

I think the agents and younger players may drive the change, but in order to change, they need to re-do it so that you hit fully unrestricted free agency at 25-27; teams would pay a lot for a player's age 26-32 seasons.