Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 36551 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2017, 04:18:15 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Thats a bad contract. Im happy this happened.

Yankees look dangerous now, but I dont think this was a good move for New York in the long run.

Agreed. I’m glad they took on his contract too.

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2017, 04:28:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Thats a bad contract. Im happy this happened.

Yankees look dangerous now, but I dont think this was a good move for New York in the long run.

Agreed. I’m glad they took on his contract too.

They took on more like 10/243M.

It was 10/295, but Marlins eat up like $30M, then they traded away Castro who had like 2/22M left, so it's 10/243M.

Still a lot though, and will definitely be something they regret by Year 4-5 and beyond (unless Stanton opts out after the 3rd year)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2017, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Winter Meetings begin tomorrow.

Expect some Red Sox signings this week.

Otherwise, if they let Martinez and others go elsewhere (at reasonable rates) and don't do much, then honestly I'd keep my expectations REAL LOW for next season.

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2017, 07:13:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Red Sox to (FINALLY) meet with JD Martinez and his reps. tonight.

Really hope they sign him. Something like 6/160M, or 7/180M. Sounds about right.

I doubt he's actually getting 200M.

My dream is that they somehow sign JD Martinez AND acquire Marcell Ozuna in a trade (w/JBJ either getting traded in the deal, or being traded elsewhere for an upgrade somewhere else).

That's two big bats right there (one fairly cheap in Ozuna), and would sort of put us at least close to the Yankees. Of course also praying for improvement from Betts, Hanley, etc. this upcoming season.

BUT if they just sign JD Martinez and then add a reliever/SP to help with pitching, I'd be fine with that too. Just need to hope Betts and Hanley can hit more HR next season (and Porcello, others besides Sale/Pomeranz pitch better in the rotation).

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Stanton was never in the cards. He was going to the Yankees, per Jeter. Sure, they made some end runs using the Giants and Cardinals. Meetings, etc while Stanton was saying Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, Cubs.

Stanton never really rejected the Cardinals and Giants. All of a sudden, Dee Gordon was traded to Seattle, and the next day Stanton went to the Yankees for Castro and a couple of throw-ins. Just like that. Gordon and Castro's salaries balance, saving Jeter nothing, plus he threw in another $30 mil to the Yankees to keep them under the cap. He wound up paying a third of Stanton's salary in NY for the next 5 years. Sweetheart deal.

Hard to see that wasn't the plan at the start. They just needed to make it less obvious.

So now the attention shifts to JDM. Boras is making the Red Sox sweat a bit. JDM says he wants to play the OF, not DH. The big headline in all those NY based sports outlets. The Boston Herald, largely negative on the Red Sox, NY style, since Red Sox owner Henry owns their competition, the Globe. BTW, is that a conflict of interest?

What's missing here is Boras and JDM know darn well they can squeeze more years out of the Red Sox than the Giants or DBacks because of the DH. And he can get plenty of OF play platooning against LHP for Benintendi or JBJ. Lots of versatility in that OF.

You can bet Boras will make that argument to squeeze max years and dollars out of the Red Sox. Which is what he is all about.

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Stanton was never in the cards. He was going to the Yankees, per Jeter. Sure, they made some end runs using the Giants and Cardinals. Meetings, etc while Stanton was saying Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, Cubs.

Stanton never really rejected the Cardinals and Giants. All of a sudden, Dee Gordon was traded to Seattle, and the next day Stanton went to the Yankees for Castro and a couple of throw-ins. Just like that. Gordon and Castro's salaries balance, saving Jeter nothing, plus he threw in another $30 mil to the Yankees to keep them under the cap. He wound up paying a third of Stanton's salary in NY for the next 5 years. Sweetheart deal.

Hard to see that wasn't the plan at the start. They just needed to make it less obvious.

So now the attention shifts to JDM. Boras is making the Red Sox sweat a bit. JDM says he wants to play the OF, not DH. The big headline in all those NY based sports outlets. The Boston Herald, largely negative on the Red Sox, NY style, since Red Sox owner Henry owns their competition, the Globe. BTW, is that a conflict of interest?

What's missing here is Boras and JDM know darn well they can squeeze more years out of the Red Sox than the Giants or DBacks because of the DH. And he can get plenty of OF play platooning against LHP for Benintendi or JBJ. Lots of versatility in that OF.

You can bet Boras will make that argument to squeeze max years and dollars out of the Red Sox. Which is what he is all about.
The idea that Jeter was just trying to find a way to send Stanton to his old team is a huge stretch.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Mitch Moreland back to Boston. 2 years/13M.

Honestly, I'm fine with this. Solid player, good defense, hopefully he can replicate with 20-ish HR and a batting average above .260 (which it was BEFORE he got injured). Good security as well since you can't expect Hanley to play everyday, especially at 1B regularly.

Hosmer would have cost 25M/Year+ for 6 years probably, and while Hosmer is a better hitter, he's no power hitter and his defense is worse than Moreland (who is now getting 6.5M/Year).

That said, now the Red Sox need to go ALL-IN on JD Martinez. He doesn't seem to have many suitors it seems besides Boston, so that should work to our advantage a bit.

Have Hanley/Moreland platoon 1B, and JD can play DH and be 4th OF. That way, Hanley's option also won't vest so we will clear about 22M off the books next winter as well. Could be vital when looking at the star-studded class next winter as well.

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
The Yankees led the league in HRs, and still finished well behind the Red Sox, who were last in HRs and without David Price as a starter for the whole season.  The Yankees didn't close until the final week or two, when they played almost all their games at home and the Red Sox were coasting for the playoffs (which didn't help them a bit--and probably got Farrell fired).

So what do the Yankees do? They go out and add more HRs, losing their 2nd baseman! This gets applauded by the Yankee-loving media, which are always wrong anyways. The Yankees didn't need more HRs. What they needed was more starting pitching. Make that better starting pitching. Stanton is not a difference maker in terms of the standings.

Fact is the Yankees don't have the starting pitching to win a World Series. And the Red Sox do, provided Price returns to form and they start hitting again after a cold season.

Adding JDM to finally replace Ortiz (!)will make them stronger, but adding Price to the starting rotation again will be the difference maker.

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
-Crickets-

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2018, 01:35:40 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
-Crickets-

I don’t want Martinez! Let’s cut the payroll this year and sure up our bullpen.

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
-Crickets-

I don’t want Martinez! Let’s cut the payroll this year and sure up our bullpen.

You realize that even if we make absolutely zero signings going into next season, we're STILL paying a luxury tax.

And if you're going to cut payroll by just trading away a bunch of guys, then why not just start a rebuild while we're at it. And I highly doubt you can just dump a guy like Hanley, or Porcello to another team w/o eating up a lot of cash (which makes no sense since you still aren't cutting payroll then if you're sending cash back as well).

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
According to reports, Red Sox have made a 5 year offer to JD Martinez.

But it's unknown what the $$$ value is and whether it's just 5 years straight up, 4 years + option, or 5 years + 6th year option.

I would like adding JDM to something like 5 years, 120-125M.

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2018, 08:35:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the Sox could sign JD Martinez then trade Bogarts and Benitendi to Baltimore for a extended Manny Machado....I would be good with that

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
If the Sox could sign JD Martinez then trade Bogarts and Benitendi to Baltimore for a extended Manny Machado....I would be good with that

Not without going way over the cap. They are now suffering for their sins of bad signings the past few years. Panda, Craig et al. Signing Price instead of Lester cost them $10M per season. Bad business, Mr Henry.

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2018, 08:05:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Well, it's still crickets for the most part on Boston's end.

Yu Darvish signed yesterday with the Cubs for 6/126M, with incentives that could push it to 6/150M total (but it's very unlikely he reaches those incentives), and the deal comes with an opt-out in 2 years that Darvish could utilize.

Most projections had him getting like 6/160M, or even more, so that should show you how this market is for most FA's.

And apparently, JD Martinez is "fed up" that the highest bidder (Red Sox) are being "inflexible" and not offering more even though it seems NO ONE else is bidding more than 100M for him (whereas the Sox reportedly have offered him somewhere from 5 years, 110-125M)...  >:(

I'm with Dombrowski here. Don't cave in, you're bidding against no one. Keep the offer on the table.

Or in fact, give him an ultimatum and tell him that every week he refuses, drop the offer by $5M and keep it going. If he still refuses and decides to go elsewhere, so be it, I don't care anymore.

I still would love to sign JDM, but I'm starting to sour on him a bit as well.

Sox are also looking at LoMo or bringing back Nunez if they miss out on JDM (signing either to a modest rate the next 2-3 years at 10-12M/Year), and I think that's a solid plan.

It's a slow market, but hopefully things start to pick up even more this week with Darvish now signed.

I am pretty glad that owners now seem to be tired of Scott Boras' act and looks like Boras is going to be frustrated after this. (Doubt Arrieta, JDM, etc. are getting the 200M deals he said they "deserved"  :P)