Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 36541 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Don't really want Hosmer, as he's a groundball hitter and we've got enough of those. Stanton (obviously) would be awesome to have in the lineup, but I think he's too much of an injury risk and costs way too much (unless DD can pull off some type of Ainge-like deal in which he acquires Stanton for peanuts, which is highly doubtful). Martinez seems like he may be the best bet overall, but he's already 30, which concerns me. Maybe there just isn't the perfect guy out there this offseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I could see Dombrowski going for it all and try to sign both Hosmer and Martinez while trading away Hanley.

I really hope they don't sign Hosmer.

Some think they'll acquire Stanton OR Martinez, and then sign Logan Morrison for 1B (guy hit 38 HR last year) and some added pop.

I don't think they can trade Hanley. Lots of $$ but also this is his final year of contract (unless his option vests, which it likely won't), so you really won't get much from him in a trade. DD will likely keep him.
DD will give Hanley away offering to pay most of his contract. It will be addition by subtraction much like what the Sox did with Adrian Gonzalez.

I think Hosmer is a heck of a player. Best defensive first basemen in the league and playing in Fenway I think he could easily be a 30HR, .300 hitter with 100 RBIs.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
I could see Dombrowski going for it all and try to sign both Hosmer and Martinez while trading away Hanley.

I really hope they don't sign Hosmer.

Some think they'll acquire Stanton OR Martinez, and then sign Logan Morrison for 1B (guy hit 38 HR last year) and some added pop.

I don't think they can trade Hanley. Lots of $$ but also this is his final year of contract (unless his option vests, which it likely won't), so you really won't get much from him in a trade. DD will likely keep him.
DD will give Hanley away offering to pay most of his contract. It will be addition by subtraction much like what the Sox did with Adrian Gonzalez.

I think Hosmer is a heck of a player. Best defensive first basemen in the league and playing in Fenway I think he could easily be a 30HR, .300 hitter with 100 RBIs.

Hosmer only strikes me as a moderate upgrade from Mitch Moreland, and Hosmer is going to get paid like 5x more than Moreland per year...

Last year, Moreland played for $5M. Hosmer is likely to get some 5-6 year deal worth 125-150M (so 25M/year approximately).

Hosmer only had 3 more HR than Moreland last year.

Plus I'm wary of signing Hosmer and forfeiting a draft pick and international signing $$$ (and I feel the same about Carlos Santana negotiations too).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:31:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang, the price for JD Martinez will be 7 years/210M according to reports...  :o

And some conflicting reports say Stanton may not want to come to Boston either (he has his No Trade Clause).

I mean they better get at least ONE POWER BAT, otherwise what's the point next season...

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 11:09:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Dang, the price for JD Martinez will be 7 years/210M according to reports...  :o

And some conflicting reports say Stanton may not want to come to Boston either (he has his No Trade Clause).

I mean they better get at least ONE POWER BAT, otherwise what's the point next season...

Bring back Papi.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

I think the power bat list in order is:

-JD Martinez
-Eric Hosmer
-Logan Morrison

Will actually be surprised if they don't walk away with one of them.

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I think the power bat list in order is:

-JD Martinez
-Eric Hosmer
-Logan Morrison

Will actually be surprised if they don't walk away with one of them.

Is Eric Hosmer really a power bat??

He only had like 3 HR more than Mitch Moreland and is likely going to get paid like 5x more per year than Moreland (who played at $5M/Year w/Boston)...

Overrated IMO.

I'd love Logan Morrison. But I'll admit, I'm being really greedy and hoping they can get a Stanton/Martinez AND Morrison lol (just spend the $$$$), because frankly adding Morrison only to the lineup really doesn't improve us as much. Either way, lots of current guys are going to have to step up and hit for power as well.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Stanton trade talks heating up.

Giants and Cardinals have reportedly made offers.

Giants offer is something along the lines of Joe Panik, and 2 of their top prospects in Shaw and Beede (though neither is considered Top-100 in entire MLB).

Cardinals package is mostly prospects with like 1 top name involved apparently (names unknown).

IF Martinez's price is actually around 200M, I could see the Sox jumping in and at least making an offer here.

For now, I doubt it.

ALSO, Red Sox seem to be high on Carlos Santana as a "Moreland replacement".

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 02:22:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Stanton trade talks heating up.

Giants and Cardinals have reportedly made offers.

Giants offer is something along the lines of Joe Panik, and 2 of their top prospects in Shaw and Beede (though neither is considered Top-100 in entire MLB).

Giants fan here, we need to do this! Heard we are getting Dee Gordon in the deal too.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746023-giancarlo-stanton-trade-rumors-red-sox-have-mild-interest-in-star

Red Sox said to only have "tepid" interest in Stanton. (According to Cafardo)

Another rumor I've heard is that the Sox may trade JBJ, Chavis + 2 more prospects for Jose Abreu (1B, can hit 30+ HR consistently and hit .304 last season, with average defense), and then sign Jay Bruce on a 2 year deal to play RF while Mookie goes to CF (w/JBJ gone in Abreu trade). In a sense, that keeps Hanley DH and adds 2 power hitters in Bruce and Abreu. Moreland leaves, while the hope is they also re-sign Nunez or trade for another cheap infielder to play in place of Pedroia who likely misses a good chunk of season due to injury.

What are people's thoughts about that? (Again, just a rumor, no concrete report yet)

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 09:33:17 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2746023-giancarlo-stanton-trade-rumors-red-sox-have-mild-interest-in-star

Another rumor I've heard is that the Sox may trade JBJ, Chavis + 2 more prospects for Jose Abreu (1B, can hit 30+ HR consistently and hit .304 last season, with average defense), and then sign Jay Bruce on a 2 year deal to play RF while Mookie goes to CF (w/JBJ gone in Abreu trade). In a sense, that keeps Hanley DH and adds 2 power hitters in Bruce and Abreu. Moreland leaves, while the hope is they also re-sign Nunez or trade for another cheap infielder to play in place of Pedroia who likely misses a good chunk of season due to injury.

What are people's thoughts about that? (Again, just a rumor, no concrete report yet)

Abreu is a great target, but I don't think they have to give up both JBJ and Chavis to get him.
Bruce is a streaky hitter, low OBP type, who can probably play RF at Fenway.

I hesitate to trade JBJ, who could break out as a hitter anytime. Too much talent there. Chavis is a better choice for Abreu, though WSox like JBJ.

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Abreu is a great target, but I don't think they have to give up both JBJ and Chavis to get him.

I hesitate to trade JBJ, who could break out as a hitter anytime. Too much talent there. Chavis is a better choice for Abreu, though WSox like JBJ.

Well then if you keep JBJ, that's your team + Abreu.

No room for Bruce.

I just don't think they are keeping BOTH JBJ/Bogaerts long term (because of Betts, Sale, etc also in line for extensions) so one will be gone soon to upgrade elsewhere via trade.

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Red Sox in "active trade talks" for White Sox 1B Jose Abreu

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/935907262039756800?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Jon Heyman
‏Verified account
@JonHeyman

chisox have been in active talks with red sox and others on star 1B jose abreu. boston was 1 of 4 finalists for abreu when he signed with chicago (milwaukee & houston were the others).

As I've said in posts above this one, a solid plan would be to trade for Jose Abreu for 1B with his .304 avg, 33 HR, and 102 RBI. Then EITHER sign Jay Bruce on a 2-3 year deal, or if Martinez's price goes down (like Encarnacion's did last winter), you could sign Martinez for something like 6/150M (or hopefully, 5/125M).

Basically, add two power bats in Abreu + Bruce/Martinez.

More logical than just trading prospects/players for Stanton AND his remaining 10/295M contract.

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yeah, I like Abreu. I also like Stanton. I don't want Martinez/Hosmer/next guy to have a career year then be average/above average. If the Sox are shelling out big dough, I want Stanton, Harper, Trout type talent.

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 03:42:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Well then if you keep JBJ, that's your team + Abreu.

No room for Bruce.

I just don't think they are keeping BOTH JBJ/Bogaerts long term (because of Betts, Sale, etc also in line for extensions) so one will be gone soon to upgrade elsewhere via trade.
For someone with 2 Silver Slugger awards, Bogaerts' regress is incomprehensible to me. He'd be the first one I'd dangle as bait out there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."