Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 670 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 880
Don't really want Hosmer, as he's a groundball hitter and we've got enough of those. Stanton (obviously) would be awesome to have in the lineup, but I think he's too much of an injury risk and costs way too much (unless DD can pull off some type of Ainge-like deal in which he acquires Stanton for peanuts, which is highly doubtful). Martinez seems like he may be the best bet overall, but he's already 30, which concerns me. Maybe there just isn't the perfect guy out there this offseason.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:34:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5151
I could see Dombrowski going for it all and try to sign both Hosmer and Martinez while trading away Hanley.

I really hope they don't sign Hosmer.

Some think they'll acquire Stanton OR Martinez, and then sign Logan Morrison for 1B (guy hit 38 HR last year) and some added pop.

I don't think they can trade Hanley. Lots of $$ but also this is his final year of contract (unless his option vests, which it likely won't), so you really won't get much from him in a trade. DD will likely keep him.
DD will give Hanley away offering to pay most of his contract. It will be addition by subtraction much like what the Sox did with Adrian Gonzalez.

I think Hosmer is a heck of a player. Best defensive first basemen in the league and playing in Fenway I think he could easily be a 30HR, .300 hitter with 100 RBIs.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
  • On To Banner 18!
I could see Dombrowski going for it all and try to sign both Hosmer and Martinez while trading away Hanley.

I really hope they don't sign Hosmer.

Some think they'll acquire Stanton OR Martinez, and then sign Logan Morrison for 1B (guy hit 38 HR last year) and some added pop.

I don't think they can trade Hanley. Lots of $$ but also this is his final year of contract (unless his option vests, which it likely won't), so you really won't get much from him in a trade. DD will likely keep him.
DD will give Hanley away offering to pay most of his contract. It will be addition by subtraction much like what the Sox did with Adrian Gonzalez.

I think Hosmer is a heck of a player. Best defensive first basemen in the league and playing in Fenway I think he could easily be a 30HR, .300 hitter with 100 RBIs.

Hosmer only strikes me as a moderate upgrade from Mitch Moreland, and Hosmer is going to get paid like 5x more than Moreland per year...

Last year, Moreland played for $5M. Hosmer is likely to get some 5-6 year deal worth 125-150M (so 25M/year approximately).

Hosmer only had 3 more HR than Moreland last year.

Plus I'm wary of signing Hosmer and forfeiting a draft pick and international signing $$$ (and I feel the same about Carlos Santana negotiations too).

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 10:31:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Paul Silas
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang, the price for JD Martinez will be 7 years/210M according to reports...  :o

And some conflicting reports say Stanton may not want to come to Boston either (he has his No Trade Clause).

I mean they better get at least ONE POWER BAT, otherwise what's the point next season...

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 11:09:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 780
Dang, the price for JD Martinez will be 7 years/210M according to reports...  :o

And some conflicting reports say Stanton may not want to come to Boston either (he has his No Trade Clause).

I mean they better get at least ONE POWER BAT, otherwise what's the point next season...

Bring back Papi.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 11:56:43 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 225

I think the power bat list in order is:

-JD Martinez
-Eric Hosmer
-Logan Morrison

Will actually be surprised if they don't walk away with one of them.

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Paul Silas
  • On To Banner 18!

I think the power bat list in order is:

-JD Martinez
-Eric Hosmer
-Logan Morrison

Will actually be surprised if they don't walk away with one of them.

Is Eric Hosmer really a power bat??

He only had like 3 HR more than Mitch Moreland and is likely going to get paid like 5x more per year than Moreland (who played at $5M/Year w/Boston)...

Overrated IMO.

I'd love Logan Morrison. But I'll admit, I'm being really greedy and hoping they can get a Stanton/Martinez AND Morrison lol (just spend the $$$$), because frankly adding Morrison only to the lineup really doesn't improve us as much. Either way, lots of current guys are going to have to step up and hit for power as well.