Author Topic: Kyrie Irving Diagnosed with Minor Facial Fracture After Game  (Read 9122 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving Diagnosed with Minor Facial Fracture After Game
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He's making it really, really easy for me. 

Why did he leave at halftime, exactly?  It doesn't seem like it was medical care -- or that medical care was even needed -- so how is that excusable?  I get that he has a lot to do with his twitter and IG, but that's not the time for it.  He then sends the team a congratulatory group text?  Seems like insult to fake injury.

It's pitiful that some of these cupcakes choose not to play with minor injuries.  Again, Baynes took a shot on a broken nose last season and just laughed it off.  IT got his tooth knocked out, picked it up, and drilled a 3 on the next possession (day after sister died).  But this is your modern NBA, folks.  A lot of these guys are incredibly soft, pampered, and selfish.

Lol what's the worst injury you ever had? Twisted an ankle once or twice? Love it when idiots come out to voice their opinions.

My senior year of high school, I played for a couple of months with a broken hand and hamstring tendon tear.  This was two weeks after my father passed away unexpectedly.
Edit: Forgot that I also had tendinitis in both wrists.

By "played" you mean you were the guy at the end of the bench furthest from the coach?

This is the NBA. You don't play injured unless it's the playoffs.

Starting PG -- sup now?  I also dated the head cheerleader.  She left me for a hockey player.

Let's please try to keep it civil here.  I shouldn't have to explain how good I was at basketball, how many injuries I played with, etc. 

IT played injury for what was likely the majority of the season, and he carried the team on his back the whole time.  What a meaningful and recent comparison.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:31:54 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Why did he leave at halftime, exactly?  It doesn't seem like it was medical care -- or that medical care was even needed -- so how is that excusable?  I get that he has a lot to do with his twitter and IG, but that's not the time for it.  He then sends the team a congratulatory group text?  Seems like insult to fake injury.

It's pitiful that some of these cupcakes choose not to play with minor injuries.  Again, Baynes took a shot on a broken nose last season and just laughed it off.  IT got his tooth knocked out, picked it up, and drilled a 3 on the next possession (day after sister died).  But this is your modern NBA, folks.  A lot of these guys are incredibly soft, pampered, and selfish.

Lol what's the worst injury you ever had? Twisted an ankle once or twice? Love it when idiots come out to voice their opinions.

My senior year of high school, I played for a couple of months with a broken hand and hamstring tendon tear.  This was two weeks after my father passed away unexpectedly.

By "played" you mean you were the guy at the end of the bench furthest from the coach?

Starting PG.  I also dated the head cheerleader.  She left me for a hockey player.

Let's please try to keep it civil here.  I shouldn't have to explain how good I was at basketball, how many injuries I played with, etc. 

IT played injury for what was likely the majority of the season, and he carried the team on his back the whole time.  What a meaningful and recent comparison.

There is moral culpability when a player is suspected to have a concussion. The NFL hasn't figured this out yet. The NBA is trying to learn from the NFL's errors and protect its players well.

They weren't going to let him come back into the game. They may have sent him to the hospital
 or home for various reasons. Irving was still engaged in the game, even though he wasn't allowed to return.

Your glory years playing basketball in high school do not in any way compare to a professional basketball league. Your injuries do not compare to a potential concussion. You weren't risking millions of dollars and/or future mental health. You did not have to abide by professional rules that guided what to do with particular injuries.

It was a regular season game in the middle of November. Grind your axe elsewhere. If you prefer the life of a troll near/under a bridge, I suggest you become a Golden State fan.

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
IT played hurt and is presently unable to play games because he’s STILL HURT.

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Starting PG.  I also dated the head cheerleader.  She left me for a hockey player.

There is moral culpability when a player is suspected to have a concussion. The NFL hasn't figured this out yet. The NBA is trying to learn from the NFL's errors and protect its players well.

They weren't going to let him come back into the game. They may have sent him to the hospital
 or home for various reasons. Irving was still engaged in the game, even though he wasn't allowed to return.

Your glory years playing basketball in high school do not in any way compare to a professional basketball league. Your injuries do not compare to a potential concussion. You weren't risking millions of dollars and/or future mental health. You did not have to abide by professional rules that guided what to do with particular injuries.

It was a regular season game in the middle of November. Grind your axe elsewhere. If you prefer the life of a troll near/under a bridge, I suggest you become a Golden State fan.

There is moral culpability*, I agree.  It's also very hazy.  NFL players, especially linemen, are getting several concussions every single game.  There are varying degrees, and we definitely do not have sensitive enough instruments to detect them nor what to do with them from preventative and treatment standpoints.  Part of my meager salary comes from assessing the cognitive symptoms of mild traumatic brain injury, so I do appreciate your consideration of this factors.

That said, there are also a lot of athletes across sports that play with concussions (not just football).  Any one recall when Curry played with a concussion two years ago? And ironically, Klay Thompson suffered one right after.  Both continued to play, and Klay was reported to vomit after the game and needed to be driven home.  Yep, that is the playoffs, which is admittedly a different beast.  But you can be sure that bench players are playing through significant injuries all the time.  This is their livelihood.  Kyrie is one of the fortunate "stars" that doesn't need to because of his status (and hand-checking rules).  He shouldn't have left the arena, and personally, I have a lot more respect for guys that play through injuries... esp given how much money these guys are making.  No one rolls out a red carpet for me when tragedy strikes -- I'm still expected to go to work, as I'm sure most of us here are.

My glory years? I was asked - via personal attacks - what injuries I had experienced.  If you rest my entire post there, you'd probably agree that those were far from "glory years."  They were personal hell, and continue to be.  But again, thanks for the personal attack.  *thumbs up*.  And I'm not trolling.  I've given Kyrie a ton of credit elsewhere, I just simply do not like him because he represents everything I dislike about the modern NBA.  I'm not baiting you, or any one else -- if you disagree, let's discuss without insults.  Alternatively, you can ignore my posts or block me.

*Is there a moral culpability to drive a player into the ground at his expense, but the betterment of the franchise, and then trade him without warning?  I think so.  We could also question Kyrie's moral compass in the way he forced his way out of Cleveland and into a very cushy situation. 

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I'm actually putting a lot of thought and consideration into these posts.  And I'm sure there are silent posters out there that agree with some aspects of my perspective on Kyrie, the modern NBA, the IT trade, etc.  It's unfortunate that replies tend to only come from naysayers, and often in the form of personal attacks. 

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 11:18:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Starting PG -- sup now?  I also dated the head cheerleader.  She left me for a hockey player.

This is the biggest revelation of the thread for me. How do you lose your girl to a hockey player in the US, let alone the South?!

EDIT: I mean, I lost my longtime high school girlfriend to a drug dealer that ended up dishonorably discharged from the Army, but at least he wasn't a HOCKEY player!  :P

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 11:21:37 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

There is moral culpability*, I agree.  It's also very hazy.  NFL players, especially linemen, are getting several concussions every single game.  There are varying degrees, and we definitely do not have sensitive enough instruments to detect them nor what to do with them from preventative and treatment standpoints.  Part of my meager salary comes from assessing the cognitive symptoms of mild traumatic brain injury, so I do appreciate your consideration of this factors.

That said, there are also a lot of athletes across sports that play with concussions (not just football).  Any one recall when Curry played with a concussion two years ago? And ironically, Klay Thompson suffered one right after.  Both continued to play, and Klay was reported to vomit after the game and needed to be driven home.  Yep, that is the playoffs, which is admittedly a different beast.  But you can be sure that bench players are playing through significant injuries all the time.  This is their livelihood.  Kyrie is one of the fortunate "stars" that doesn't need to because of his status (and hand-checking rules).  He shouldn't have left the arena, and personally, I have a lot more respect for guys that play through injuries... esp given how much money these guys are making.  No one rolls out a red carpet for me when tragedy strikes -- I'm still expected to go to work, as I'm sure most of us here are.

My glory years? I was asked - via personal attacks - what injuries I had experienced.  If you rest my entire post there, you'd probably agree that those were far from "glory years."  They were personal hell, and continue to be.  But again, thanks for the personal attack.  *thumbs up*.  And I'm not trolling.  I've given Kyrie a ton of credit elsewhere, I just simply do not like him because he represents everything I dislike about the modern NBA.  I'm not baiting you, or any one else -- if you disagree, let's discuss without insults.  Alternatively, you can ignore my posts or block me.

*Is there a moral culpability to drive a player into the ground at his expense, but the betterment of the franchise, and then trade him without warning?  I think so.  We could also question Kyrie's moral compass in the way he forced his way out of Cleveland and into a very cushy situation.

Fair enough. Sorry for attacking you personally.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the situation. It seems like you have viewed the situation in the most negative way possible. Your own bias about the modern NBA seems to shaded your view about Irving.

I love when players play through injuries too. I just don't expect them to do it in November or when its a concussion. Play through ankle sprains and muscle strains and joint pains and inflamation, but I would not play through concussion symptoms. Its a long season. I don't even mind if a guy sits out a game or two in December so they are fresher-less-injury-ridden around the playoffs.

As far as IT goes, there's just so much we don't know. It sounds like he pushed to play as long as he could. I don't love the way it was handled either, but what if he did sit? It probably would have significantly helped his value going into his contract year, but you don't like that. Instead, he played through it and probably cost himself tens of millions of dollars.

There has to be some times when it is ok to sit, right? If it costs your long-term availability to your team, especially come playoffs, or if it costs you years off your career, or if it costs your family tens of millions of dollars, or if it costs your own mental capabilities, it has to at least be considered, right?

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 11:27:18 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Bummed about Kyrie. Accidents happen but man the C's get really bad luck with injuries. This is what? 2-3 weeks?
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 11:28:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The idea that Irving should have returned from such a blow to the head when they were concerned with facial damage and/or concussion is a myopic one from my perspective.

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 11:29:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bummed about Kyrie. Accidents happen but man the C's get really bad luck with injuries. This is what? 2-3 weeks?
No he'll miss tomorrows game it sounds like then play for 2/3 weeks with a mask to prevent further damage till the facial fracture heals.

I thought he had a broken nose and would need a mask when I saw the play live.

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

This is the biggest revelation of the thread for me. How do you lose your girl to a hockey player in the US, let alone the South?!

EDIT: I mean, I lost my longtime high school girlfriend to a drug dealer that ended up dishonorably discharged from the Army, but at least he wasn't a HOCKEY player!  :P

Hah.  I was in MA through high school, but I'm not sure that's any better.  In hindsight, I couldn't compete--role reversal, I'd have chosen that dude too.  Your story sounds equally rough, but maybe it helped us all build character (including that guy).  Were you a hockey player??

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 12:47:42 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
The idea that Irving should have returned from such a blow to the head when they were concerned with facial damage and/or concussion is a myopic one from my perspective.

Its just one poster who is obssessed to the point where trolling Kyrie has become a 9-5.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 01:26:10 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

I love "fans" who put their own agendas ahead of what's better for the team. and Kyrie was/is better for the team. if you fail to see that you should probably be a fan of another team.

you're bitter, I get it. you were backing a team that won a lot of games only because the east is weak and then when they finally played the best in the east the truth came out - they weren't even close and shouldn't have been on the same court.

and on top of it many of us that tried to tell you bitter fans at the time that "these players aren't as good as you think they are, and were easily replaceable" turned out to be true.

one thing that you guys who were sooo invested in these easily replaceable players failed to realize is this. while that group played hard you forgot to acknowledge that players with talent can play hard too. that's why that team was always going to lose in the playoffs.

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2017, 01:33:02 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
He's missing one game and coming back to play with a mask after that.

Any BS about Kyrie's toughness should be quelled considering this is the second time he'll be playing with a broken face.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2017, 02:15:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Its just one poster who is obssessed to the point where trolling Kyrie has become a 9-5.
It's hilariously exhausting. Not worth the energy to respond
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)