Author Topic: Objective thinking: Is Smart replaceable  (Read 6177 times)

Re: Objective thinking: Is Smart replaceable
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I say he gets around 15 million a season.

I say this is fair (a few millions too much though)

but then you still have to worry about extending Kyrie ...in a blink of an eye Brown and Tatum

Is it fair to say these 3 are the future future and should be the focus?

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Sure is.

If we can find someone else who can rebound well, distribute the ball, run the offense, rebound IN TRAFFIC - among the trees, bring guile and toughness then sure bring em in.

EDIT - forgot drawing charges. Sure his flops are HILARIOUS, but wasn't he among the team leaders in charges drawn?

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 02:44:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Smart can be traded later down the line to open up cap so dont feel signing him effects the ability to resign other guys. What is an issue is if he is overpaid too much and the contract is then difficult to move if we do want to move him.

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Sure is.

If we can find someone else who can rebound well, distribute the ball, run the offense, rebound IN TRAFFIC - among the trees, bring guile and toughness then sure bring em in.

EDIT - forgot drawing charges. Sure his flops are HILARIOUS, but wasn't he among the team leaders in charges drawn?

yup

he will sacrifice his body , to win. He will fight the likes of Dwight Howard. Whatever it takes

People around the league and other fans thinks he is crazy

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 02:55:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I say he gets around 15 million a season.

I say this is fair (a few millions too much though)

but then you still have to worry about extending Kyrie ...in a blink of an eye Brown and Tatum

Is it fair to say these 3 are the future future and should be the focus?
Tatum and Irving I buy into now and long term as the team's future. Brown, not yet.

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Just watched some replays / highlights of our GREAT win last night.

Looks like Marcus was in middle of nearly everything we were doing in that win.

He defended Kemba Walker on that last shot - and he missed.

I saw him leading the break - setting up teammates.

I saw him with a CRUCIAL basket in the last 30-40 secs.

He is the Shaquille O'Neal of basketball right now - sure, Shaq did not shoot his FT's very well, BUT he ALWAYS seemed to make em when they counted.

Same with Marcus....dude can seemingly go 1-20 FG BUT that ONE make is an IMPORTANT one.

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he does " smart " things .  Every game .   He is always looking for the " edge ". ..push the boundaries of legal , .same as KG used to .....anyway to get under the skin of a moron like Howard ....use him..., the little play that kills the opponent , confuses , demoralizing plays ,  impossible rebounds , put backs , CBS special plays guy.  There is one of these guys on NFL teams , somebody to bustbup the opponents teams plays and concentration.   Glue guy .   Forget point formthe milionith time , not about him shooting like Kyrie ,   we got him for that.   You keep Smart around to mold the team , he is worth alot to this team.  He and Morris and Theis will do the dirty work , you don't want your stars to do.      Smart nearly got Howard tossed out of the game .  Howard did not yell too much at the offical , but it was obviously a set up by Smart . 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:28:29 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

He is the Shaquille O'Neal of basketball right now - sure, Shaq did not shoot his FT's very well, BUT he ALWAYS seemed to make em when they counted.

Same with Marcus....dude can seemingly go 1-20 FG BUT that ONE make is an IMPORTANT one.
It was a great defense possesion by Morris @9:00.
https://youtu.be/oLpT0_al45c

Smart can make some defensive plays that are unheard of. But my fear with him is that when we play the very best teams, that are abnormaly good these days, we won't be able to score with them.
Making him essentialy a role player, great role player at that. Also not saying he wouldn't start for some teams. And role players are very often replecable.
I think he regrets that he didn't sign a deal if it was more than 10 mils $ per year already. Presuming the one was in the table in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:29:45 PM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Why do people refer to smart or Morris as "marcus?" they both play similarly tough so it's hard to distinguish which Marcus is being discussed

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

It was a great defense possesion by Morris @9:00.
https://youtu.be/oLpT0_al45c

Marcus can make some defensive plays that are unheard of. But my fear with him is that when we play the very best teams, that are abnormaly good these days, we won't be able to score with them.
Making him essentialy a role player, great role player at that. Also not saying he wouldn't start for some teams. And role players are very often replecable.
I think he regrets that he didn't sign a deal if it was more than 10 mils $ per year already. Presuming the one was in the table in the first place.

You're right - good catch and GREAT plays by MM. Glad to see him back.

I get what you are saying, but we'd better be VERY careful about letting Marcus go. Sure - he and Danny will need to get on same page but Smart is extremely valuable to us - in more ways than just scoring.

And he DOES show up in big games....how about his 20 pts in the playoff game VS ATL a couple of years ago....defending PAUL MILSAP and slowing him down somewhat..

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart is very replaceable. His defense is great but his iffense is putrid and in today's NBA, offense with some defense is much more needed than defense with bad offense.

I fully expect Ainge to trade Smart at the deadline or let him walk next off season, especially if the LA pick conveys. Smart is going to be demanding money that will cost even more because it will most likely throw us into luxury tax land. Rozier can take over Smart's role next year.

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2017, 03:42:21 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

If any team can get the Celtics to end their offensive possession with a Marcus Smart field goal attempt, they'll live with whatever result they get (which literally 7 times out 10, will be a brick). The one spot you don't necessarily want Marcus Smart if you're defense is the free throw line, and even then he's shooting below 70% from there this season.

He comes up with big plays sure, but 2 or 3 hustle plays towards the end of a game is not worth the previous 30 minutes of bad offensive shots that could've been taken by a more efficient player. His one weakness is shooting, but instead of minimizing it, he insists on giving the defense what they want.

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart is gone, he will be too expensive after this year.

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2017, 03:54:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Maximum I would do is 4 years/70M.

Unfortunately there's a good chance he gets offered 4/80M from another team.

Lot depends on how far into luxury tax Ainge and Wyc are willing to go...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 04:26:23 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
He may end up being more affordable than other young stars, due to his shooting issues. Not just Brown and Tatum but also Rozier will attract attention in the not too distant future. There are very few players who aren't replaceable. Smart isn't one of them but I love everything he brings other than those missed shots, on and off the court.