Author Topic: Objective thinking: Is Smart replaceable  (Read 6174 times)

Re: Objective thinking: Is Smart replaceable
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
There is no way in hell Smart is commanding 20 milion a year. None. Zero. Not Happening. I think its highly likely we tried shopping him this off-season when we were trying to clear cap room, and couldnt find anybody who was willing to send us back value. So why do we think he's getting highly paid. Forget 40%, he's barely shooting 30%. I Like Smart for his hustle, attitude, defense, for the role he plays. That makes him a role player. Can you find smeone who replicates EXACTLY what he gives you, no probably not. But guys who give you similar all around value are not hard to find.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
From 1 to 10 is he??

Chris Gasper thinks even if he keeps shooting less than 40 percent from the field (which is a clown show now btw) . Smart will be able to still command 20 million a year due to his defense, intangibles and 4th quarter intensity.

At this price tag, it will be very difficult to keep him long term.  Any NBA team can only really pay 3 max players .  Don't forget we will need to worry about Brown and Tatum next contract sooner than later

So the question is, is Smart replaceable?  (via Semi, Rozier etc)  .  If not how does this all play out?

Don't think he's worth anywhere near 20m, that's a price tag for a player like Avery Bradley, who's a recognised defensive player, with a pretty good offensive game. I think Smart is more like 12-14m.

Having said that I won't be surprised if some team like the Nets will throw him a short term 20m contract.

In comparison, Evan turner got 17m by doing:
10.5p, 4.9r, 4.4a, 46%, 24%

Smart's stats so far is:
9.3p, 4.3r, 5.5a, 29%, 28%

Turner does not have the same impact on defence but is more efficient. The Evan Turner contract is terrible, hopefully teams have learnt and won't bid to overpay Smart.

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
10m per yes, sign him up today!

20m per NO WAY!  Sorry but we can't pay that much for a 1 dimensional player.  Even if his dimension on defense is really quite good.

Smart is shooting a putrid 30% from the field.  I like the kid, but I can't see us paying 20 large to keep him.

That is close to MAX, and he's not even close to a max player.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Smart isn't going to get offers anywhere near $20mil per year. Maybe half that.

I think you are dramatically underrating the fact that he can basically defend anyone in the NBA.  If Kelly Olynyk gets $12 per, Smart is easily $15 at his current offensive output.

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
And to answer the question - yes he is replaceable.  He is not Lebron or Steph Curry.

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd guess he is a $12-15 million per year player. His shooting is terrible but he does everything else at an above average level. I can't image he gets more than that any where unless he goes nuts in the playoffs. We have seen guys with good playoff runs get a huge payday.

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 01:28:58 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Why do you think we have Rozier, Bird, and Allen?

To make smart expendable. I’m almost ready to sell my smart stock.

It would be nice if Bird becomes the real thing, and be a backup 2.  He can play D and he can shoot! 

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Hopefully Smart will except a contract for what he is realistically worth, and remain with the Celtics.

The realization is that not all basketball players can improve their shooting, not everyone can be Avery Bradly and practice their way into becoming a reliable outside shooter. Some players simply have limited shooting ability, Marcus may be one.

Marcus has other intangibles that drive his net worth. These intangibles are infectious to other players, especially young players. 

I'm hoping we're able to find a way to sign him to a reasonable contract.

Is he replaceable?... a begrudging, yes. 

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I didn't realize when I originally posted that people thought the floor for his contract would be 10 million a year... If that's the minimum he's worth then there's no way the Celtics can resign him.

If he was willing to make between 6-7.8 million per season that would be a deal the Celtics could work around, but looking at their salary numbers and knowing they'll soon have to resign Brown, Rozier, and Kyrie there's absolutely no way they can afford to pay Smart 10 million a year or more. They already have about 84 million a year locked up in just Hayward, Horford, and Irving.  Unless the cap balloons signing Smart to a 8 figure contract is an impossibility.

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 02:17:37 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He is replaceable.

But in defense, I do think this year has been different so far. He has missed a lot of shots, but he's not missing like previous years. He is missing slight short or long, not left or right. He's taking good shots (for the most part) and he is getting good shots for the team.

There won't be a lot of money available for his next off-season. Is a team gonna take a chance on him? I seriously doubt it, even though he does have good upside.

That leaves two options: 1) Ainge offers a Jae Crowder contract (something like 5 years for 45 million under today's cap), banking that. like Crowder, Smart's percentages will rise as he gets more comfortable in his role. Or 2) Smart accepts the qualifying offer and plays another year for us at a reasonable contract, then becomes an UFA in 2019.

The problem with option 2 is that there is less money to throw around now and Smart is not a cornerstone piece. For example, Noel is likely to get less next off-season than he would have this off-season from the Mavs. Will Smart learn from this and take the security?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 02:23:53 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
10m per yes, sign him up today!

20m per NO WAY!  Sorry but we can't pay that much for a 1 dimensional player.  Even if his dimension on defense is really quite good.

Smart is shooting a putrid 30% from the field.  I like the kid, but I can't see us paying 20 large to keep him.

That is close to MAX, and he's not even close to a max player.

But Smart says no thanks

He knows that he is worth more than 10 million a season

look at the contracts KO and James Johnson received..... 

Or Evan Turner received

its unbelievable

I would take Smart any day over these guys ... i think most teams would as well... he has built a rep around the league...for all of his crap, at the end of the day he is a winner

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What would help is... If Horford, GH, Irving are willing to take a discount... how KD has (not that greedy bum Curry)

Curry is not greedy, he is getting what he deserves, but he also can't complain that he has to work more or why the team lacks depth from the bench..... 

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I say he gets around 15 million a season.

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
You can't diminish his value by calling Smart a role player and just switch him out for Rozier or something. Considering the now guard dominant league, wing defensive stoppers are the modern day rim protectors. You see it in the finals all the time where a player like Artest or TA neutralize a player like Pierce or Kobe. He doesn't have the accolades yet but I would expect them to start coming this year.

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Yes, he's replaceable.  In fact, I'm not sure he's even good.

He's a very good defender who can defend three, sometimes four positions.  He can rebound, and he's an adequate floor general with the ball in his hands.  But his inability to score is such a negative that I don't think he's ultimately a key asset.  A minor one, sure.  But he's a backup guard, and I think we can find other decent backup guards for MLE money.  So unless Smart himself is willing to take that sort of contract, I think we should look elsewhere.